GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Violence in Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/12/02 at 10:52
Regular
I know this is in the wrong forum, but i could not post it in the one i wanted cos i'm a newbie. Anyway i'd like to know what peoples views are on the violence and adult content in the games that are around now. My belief is that if they continue going the way they are going in the next few years we're going to have some seriously sick games on the market, this is not a complaint though the point i'm trying to get through is that most of the violence today is blamed on computer games. It only takes one irresponsible teen to do something stupid then their parents blame it on the computer games industry but it's probably that the child is very sick in the head. Personally iv'e never played on a computer game then gone and shot somebody.

"why buy the cow when you can get the sex for free"
Tue 05/08/03 at 19:28
Regular
"Party Hard"
D'you reckon this topic will still be alive by Christmas?

I mean, it's lasted 8 months.
Sat 02/08/03 at 23:07
Regular
"Festivus!"
Hmmm.

What?
Sat 02/08/03 at 12:21
Regular
"It's been a while.."
looks like it.......huhum
Sat 02/08/03 at 12:17
Regular
"Party Hard"
heh, so the old topic is still chugging along.
Fri 11/07/03 at 20:11
Regular
"joypadjunkies.com"
I agree with you @ngel...violence will never stop no matter what you take away.
Thu 19/06/03 at 11:54
Regular
"joypadjunkies.com"
Violence has been around longer then video, tv and video games. if you took them away do you really think that the violence would stop! I dont think so some how.
Thu 19/06/03 at 11:48
Regular
"joypadjunkies.com"
wid wrote:
> I also am quite appaulled at the violence and gore in some of todays
> games.It is just a way in which crime in people could be started in a
> life of crime as the gamer has seen that 'crime can pay' in games like
> 'the getaway' and the grand theft auto series.I think computer games
> are one of the main causes for all the violence and trouble in our
> societies.Games rated 18 are being given to young children for
> christmas etc because mum,s heard it,s the 'hit' game at that
> moment.My little brother who was only 6 last month was given a copy of
> GTA:vice city for his birhday and he loves it but i'm just waiting for
> the day when he turns to crime.

Many people say that taking violence out of Games, movies, and tv will lesson the violence exhibited by teens today. I have to strongly disagree, I play violent video games that I enjoy. My judgement is not impaired by playing these games, just because I see something in a game or on tv doesn't mean I am going to go out and do it to someone.

Another point is that seeing all of this violence is going to make the person not want to be good. On tv the bad guys are always apprehended and thrown in jail, prisons are depicted as horrible places, would anyone in their right mind see this and choose that path?

In video games you are always playing the good guys going and getting the bad guys, that won't tell a kid to go kill his friends or parents.

People who blame violence in video games is just an EXCUSE, if your violent your violent on your own accord. If your not then your in control.
How many times have people heard QUOTE
" I did it because he/ she told me to"

What an excuse, You did it because YOU really wanted to. If your mate jumped of a bridge, would you do it? NO! I dont suppose you would. So why blame it on a video game!

I don't expect to change anyone's opinion I do hope it helps you see how other people see things.
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:31
Regular
now ive played every violent game from an early age .. watch all the horror movies and even the banned child's play .. and am i violent? NO

okay let's stick the the point and the question .. does it cause violence? grand theft auto isn't a violent game .. in fact if you watch anyone playing it you will see that it is a game that gives the user the chance to be violent and shoot people's heads off .. just like real life

even games that force you to beat someone up violently do not put that into the minds of the people .. people act differently with real life to games for the simple fact that games are not real .. the simple piece of evidence is japan and china .. their games are all about loyalty and being good .. but the same people that play them are the same crowd that join the violent gangs .. games most certainly don't enforce attitudes and views
Mon 05/05/03 at 18:45
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
lalakersrule wrote:
> yea only Americans do that don't they ................ *sighs*

lol... relax man, he was only being spurious for some minor entertainment value...

(although I dont know of anyone, from any other country has used violence computer software as a defense for going on a gun toating rampage?) ;)
Mon 05/05/03 at 18:37
Regular
"Party Hard"
I agree wholeheartedlyd.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.