GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Violence in Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/12/02 at 10:52
Regular
I know this is in the wrong forum, but i could not post it in the one i wanted cos i'm a newbie. Anyway i'd like to know what peoples views are on the violence and adult content in the games that are around now. My belief is that if they continue going the way they are going in the next few years we're going to have some seriously sick games on the market, this is not a complaint though the point i'm trying to get through is that most of the violence today is blamed on computer games. It only takes one irresponsible teen to do something stupid then their parents blame it on the computer games industry but it's probably that the child is very sick in the head. Personally iv'e never played on a computer game then gone and shot somebody.

"why buy the cow when you can get the sex for free"
Thu 03/04/03 at 00:07
Regular
Look what ive seen. Ive seen Wid's comment. Look. If your looking at mine, stop and look at his. He is the parent. He is the one who complains about video gore and gets it recalled. For shame on you.

Its your fault.

Its your fault. Ill say it again if i have to. I dont care how much you rant or rave or moan, its your fault. The only reason your 6 yr old brother got Vice City was because either you or your parents were not responsible in its purchase. Because when you boil down the truth from it all the parent knows when to say no and crossing that line is at YOUR RISK. If you can remember, a long time ago a parent complained when her 13 yr old boy lost it and murdered 12 of his classmates with a pump action shotgun. It was claimed back then that the child was taught how to use the shotgun "to a lethal efficancy" by playing DOOM. Well, look now if you have a copy. Look at the 15 rating on it. Who gave him the copy? He certainly didnt buy it did he? No. His mother or father bought it for him because he asked for it and the parents are to blame for not looking.

So i will shout at the top of my voice. GO AWAY. LEAVE US.

I want MORE gore, violence and erotica in games. Too much is tasteless, but in the right place it makes the game more real. So i dont care if an 18 gets on it. Im 19. And it is the sole task of the parent to make such games unavailable to younger people. True a certain amount of exposure is impossible to avoid, but then again it is their choice.

You dont like video gore Wid? im sorry. Go buy your brother Mario Sunshine and keep him happy and leave the rest of the rated games world to sensible people like us.
Thu 27/03/03 at 21:02
Regular
"oaps.org"
I' waiting for the day I turn into a massive mammory obsessed sword weilding decapitation machine because I played Barbarian many years ago.

I'm part way to my goal though ;)
Thu 27/03/03 at 07:57
Regular
I also am quite appaulled at the violence and gore in some of todays games.It is just a way in which crime in people could be started in a life of crime as the gamer has seen that 'crime can pay' in games like 'the getaway' and the grand theft auto series.I think computer games are one of the main causes for all the violence and trouble in our societies.Games rated 18 are being given to young children for christmas etc because mum,s heard it,s the 'hit' game at that moment.My little brother who was only 6 last month was given a copy of GTA:vice city for his birhday and he loves it but i'm just waiting for the day when he turns to crime.
Wed 19/03/03 at 23:28
Regular
on this games they started shoting me with no head
Wed 19/03/03 at 23:25
Regular
they realy did come up frome the dead i played this game just for fun i shot a guys head off then he started soting me with nooooooo heeeeeeeeaaaaadd!
Sun 16/03/03 at 06:48
Regular
"Party Hard"
Pheat wrote:
> plus I reckon violence in games discurages violence because it lets
> you unwind and kill pixels rather than going crazie and killing REAL
> people

Yes, that's the point we're trying to get across here. Sort of.

Moving on, this morning I started to re-read through one of my old PC Zone magazines and came across a section where you could read the letters that some people had sent in about GTA. Being in 1998 people found this type of game exceptionally violent and therefore were offended by it. Then you read the letters before laughing in disbelief at some of the comments people made.

One bloke named "G" was on about life being respected and you should treat all forms of God's creation with the respect they deserve. Well, how about this answer- IT'S ONLY A GAME!!!

Another letter was written by an old aged pensioner who said that GTA should be banned. Not really very funny, but then she went on to say that Rockstar should make a game called 'Got any gum, Chum?' which involves you disposing of chewing gum in a bin. Exciting.

If anyone wants to read this issue it is the one from April 1998, the one with SW: Mysteries of the Sith on the front. Hilarious.
Fri 07/03/03 at 16:00
Regular
"I kill 4 money"
I would like to say violence in games is a good thing because, it shows people what they shouldn't really do in reality and for the people who complain about the violence and their children are doing the things in the game try looking at the certificate, it's your own fault for buying it for them, and also most games have you killing zombies, aliens and some other make-believe stuff so if they would kill something they'd kill them not other people.
Thu 06/03/03 at 21:18
Regular
"The World is Dead"
It really is stupid when people hear about one specific aspect of the game never actually see it and then go screaming at the developers for making an 18 game for people over 18. and then children playing it. (not that I mind having games to old for me). do theese people ever look at the game in question. no. and it is realy stupid.

plus I reckon violence in games discurages violence because it lets you unwind and kill pixels rather than going crazie and killing REAL people
Tue 28/01/03 at 17:57
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Nebuchan_fan wrote:
> I decided to bring this topic back from the dead because there is
> still so much to talk about.
>
> For example, how much further into the realms of contoversy can games
> go?.

As far as they want until the Daily Mail brigade gets word of some nasty little content in the game which they haven't actually seen, yet are going to complain about it anyway. They also forget the fact that the game has a 15 or 18 age certificate on it and little Timmy shouldn't be playing it anyway as he's only 12. But of course don't blame the parents at all who let him play such games, no of course not, blame the games developers.
Mon 27/01/03 at 18:58
Regular
"Party Hard"
I decided to bring this topic back from the dead because there is still so much to talk about.

For example, how much further into the realms of contoversy can games go? And for that matter, will developers stop putting effort into making a game brilliant and concentrate more on getting it as filthy, gory and sexually explicit as possible just so it'll sell?

Take the newly released title BMX XXX. I mean, you just knew as soon as you herd about it that it was going to be crap, didn't you? And surprise, surprise- it is! To be honest, anyone who went out and bought this really needs to take a step out of their bedroom door and get a girlfriend- sad losers!

SOE was a fun game, but you could tell it wasn't anywhere near as good as it could have been, and if the developers of The getaway had put as much effort into making the game good as they had putting in swearing, then it would have been f****** fantastic.

Controversial games? Fine, just as long as they're actually any good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.