GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Violence in Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/12/02 at 10:52
Regular
I know this is in the wrong forum, but i could not post it in the one i wanted cos i'm a newbie. Anyway i'd like to know what peoples views are on the violence and adult content in the games that are around now. My belief is that if they continue going the way they are going in the next few years we're going to have some seriously sick games on the market, this is not a complaint though the point i'm trying to get through is that most of the violence today is blamed on computer games. It only takes one irresponsible teen to do something stupid then their parents blame it on the computer games industry but it's probably that the child is very sick in the head. Personally iv'e never played on a computer game then gone and shot somebody.

"why buy the cow when you can get the sex for free"
Tue 14/01/03 at 16:56
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
John.J wrote:
> Only American's shoot people once they have played on computer games.

yea only Americans do that don't they ................ *sighs*
Sat 11/01/03 at 10:47
Regular
"Party Hard"
Pheat wrote:
> By young you mean like 3-7 years olds. not any older. right.

Right.
Fri 10/01/03 at 21:20
Regular
"The World is Dead"
By young you mean like 3-7 years olds. not any older. right.
Sat 04/01/03 at 14:07
Regular
"Party Hard"
I personally am not affected by violence in games, however i think people who have trouble distinguishing between real life and games (Small children, people with mental disabilities) could be very severely affected. For example, a three year old, despite not being able to play games, might be influenced if he/she watches an adult blow apart an innocent person on GTA 3, or saw the insides of a person's head on SOF 2.

We all know that young children tend to copy what adults do (Children enjoy playing games which mimic the chores, roles and attitudes of adults), and i think that if children see their parents blow somebody apart on a game, then they may be influenced to do do violent things.

Not only this, but it might be mentally disturbing for a child (especially horror games). This is what age-ratings are for, but adults continue to buy adult games for their children, oblivious to the harm it could do them. For example, when my younger cousin was about 7, his parents let him play all kinds of games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Now he refuses to sleep without the light on. Is this the influence of games? I think so, and with games becoming more and more realistic and controversial, i think it's time adults realised that young children should not be getting hold of these things.
Sun 29/12/02 at 11:13
Regular
"The World is Dead"
I like violence in games. Its a good stress releiver. sometimes I get home and i'm really annoyed (like get out my way or die annoyed). I sit In front of my Pc load up unreal tournament set it to insta gib on death match 16 bots on deathmatch mode and frag people. after that its all calm and peacfull and i go on the net and look around or play something calm like red alert.

without in-game violence there would be more shootings. it just gives you a tingle when you blow someones head off and then watch them squirm on the floor. and after a while silencing them with a shotgun to the head.

only americans go out and take peoples heads off and then try to blame it on games.
Mon 23/12/02 at 00:08
Regular
definetly there will be really really really ****ed up games in the future i dont mean blood i mean....well u know wat i mean if u dont know then dont ask
Thu 19/12/02 at 01:08
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Considering games in the present day; how much further can people go?

We've nearly reached the end of gruesome taste.

BUT, people do continually push the boundaries, and you can be sure that'll happen.
Wed 18/12/02 at 19:51
Regular
Only American's shoot people once they have played on computer games.
Wed 18/12/02 at 10:52
Regular
"I see you"
I know this is in the wrong forum, but i could not post it in the one i wanted cos i'm a newbie. Anyway i'd like to know what peoples views are on the violence and adult content in the games that are around now. My belief is that if they continue going the way they are going in the next few years we're going to have some seriously sick games on the market, this is not a complaint though the point i'm trying to get through is that most of the violence today is blamed on computer games. It only takes one irresponsible teen to do something stupid then their parents blame it on the computer games industry but it's probably that the child is very sick in the head. Personally iv'e never played on a computer game then gone and shot somebody.

"why buy the cow when you can get the sex for free"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.