GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"That's it."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/07/05 at 00:09
Regular
"Divine Davine"
I've just sold my Xbox. I don't know what emotions run through me right now. Sadness? Happiness? Or just a little numb?

Anyway, what I have left with me are my memories. Hell, when I first got it back in 2001 with the 4 games bundle, I was so excited. Jet Set Radio Future, Halo, Sega Gt and Splinter Cell were just so new back then. And when the months proceeded, so did the Xbox in terms of large quantites of quality software. Knights - jeez, everytime I play that just makes me feel so nostalgic. Beyond Good and Evil - a multi format game, but a superb one nothenless.

But come 2004, everything started to get a little generic for me. Where were these once obsecure and innovative games the console derived in? Otogi? Panzer Dragoon? Ninja Gaiden? Shenmue 2? No, the Xbox had hit the mainstream, completely outselling the Gamecube in most regions - it was the hype of Halo 2 that I felt started to tarnish the console's 'hardcore' gaming reputation. The releases of Grand Theft Auto also worked wonders for console sale-wise, but the Xbox started to become 'cool' and mainstream.

After Halo 2, the charm of the console was no longer there. I picked up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 that year, and I had to force myself to play it. The novelty of Xbox Live just wore thin and the console just started to depress me, only leaving Outrun 2 being the only game worthy of my time. I'm a total Nintendo fan at heart, and I really try not to be biased, but the Xbox doesn't really have that 'wow' factor anymore. The Gamecube? It's still got loads of titles I want to buy - just recently bought Baten Kaitos, and its excellent.

It's sad. I wanted to continue loving the Xbox, and even considering a 360, but those days are long gone. I'm left with all my retro consoles (look at my profile for the list ;P), my DS and Gamecube. Come on Ninty. Show them how it's done with the Revolution.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:42
Regular
"8==="
[URL]http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/738/738457.html[/URL]
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:40
Regular
"Divine Davine"
PSO is a completely different game, I gotta agree with you there.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:38
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Who mentioned 3000 players to you, you gimp, Bonus?

The average server load for WOW is 3000 players at any one time. PSO with more players isn't an MMORPG, it's just a multiplayer RPG.

The whole essence of MMORPGs is that vast numbers of players play in an onlie persistent world.

You're the one trying to pass PSO with maybe 16 players of as an MMORPG, I just chose to ignore that silly phrase and focus on the real uissues with MMORPGs ;-).
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:34
Regular
"8==="
No idea. If it does then that sounds very cool.

I used to play Car Wars as a kid. :)
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:34
Regular
*casts lvl5 NOS*
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:33
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Combining genres can sometimes prove successful - oh yeah, that new game Auto Assault features cars and levelling up, am I not correct?
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:29
Regular
"8==="
Irregular Sausage wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> The lines between genres are going to get even more blurred next
> generation.
>
> Not necessarily a good thing. I mean I'm the usually the first to
> congratulate experimentation, but when I buy a racing game I want to
> race, not have to level up my car and learn ne spells first :D
>
> Ya gettin me? (Done in a Science voice)

Cars and spells? It'd be like cyber-punk or something. I like the sound of that.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:27
Regular
"8==="
HA HA HA HA!

Who mentioned 3000 players to you, you gimp, Bonus?

I see you have a tremendous understanding of English.

I said "like PSO but bigger".

Do you know how many players you can have in PSO? It's 4!

Do you think the next generation might be able to manage more than 4? Considering the number Huxley's creators are knocking about I think we JUST MIGHT see more than 4...

Why don't you go off and mis-read someone elses post so they can laugh at you instead?
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:25
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Hedfix wrote:
> The lines between genres are going to get even more blurred next
> generation.

Not necessarily a good thing. I mean I'm the usually the first to congratulate experimentation, but when I buy a racing game I want to race, not have to level up my car and learn ne spells first :D

Ya gettin me? (Done in a Science voice)
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:23
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Hedfix, I said 'I hope.' Not 'it is.'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.