GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"That's it."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/07/05 at 00:09
Regular
"Divine Davine"
I've just sold my Xbox. I don't know what emotions run through me right now. Sadness? Happiness? Or just a little numb?

Anyway, what I have left with me are my memories. Hell, when I first got it back in 2001 with the 4 games bundle, I was so excited. Jet Set Radio Future, Halo, Sega Gt and Splinter Cell were just so new back then. And when the months proceeded, so did the Xbox in terms of large quantites of quality software. Knights - jeez, everytime I play that just makes me feel so nostalgic. Beyond Good and Evil - a multi format game, but a superb one nothenless.

But come 2004, everything started to get a little generic for me. Where were these once obsecure and innovative games the console derived in? Otogi? Panzer Dragoon? Ninja Gaiden? Shenmue 2? No, the Xbox had hit the mainstream, completely outselling the Gamecube in most regions - it was the hype of Halo 2 that I felt started to tarnish the console's 'hardcore' gaming reputation. The releases of Grand Theft Auto also worked wonders for console sale-wise, but the Xbox started to become 'cool' and mainstream.

After Halo 2, the charm of the console was no longer there. I picked up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 that year, and I had to force myself to play it. The novelty of Xbox Live just wore thin and the console just started to depress me, only leaving Outrun 2 being the only game worthy of my time. I'm a total Nintendo fan at heart, and I really try not to be biased, but the Xbox doesn't really have that 'wow' factor anymore. The Gamecube? It's still got loads of titles I want to buy - just recently bought Baten Kaitos, and its excellent.

It's sad. I wanted to continue loving the Xbox, and even considering a 360, but those days are long gone. I'm left with all my retro consoles (look at my profile for the list ;P), my DS and Gamecube. Come on Ninty. Show them how it's done with the Revolution.
Mon 25/07/05 at 14:53
"Goodbye Cruel World"
cipro wrote:
> Actually, this problems seems related only to the US version of the
> game at present. As I look through the European support forums I see
> that there are no threads relating to this Black Screen problem, I
> also see that allot of threads have actually gotten replies to from
> the tech support staff.

Are you trying to prove Blizzard's innocence? Lol I am a very big fan of Blizzard and have been for quite a while. Starcraft (anybody?) is one of the best games of all time imo. And i haven't lost faith in Blizzard and their games, I just think that they have provided crap customer service. Yes people have gotten replies to quite simple questions, but not to any of the Black Screen Freezing issues.

And i have experienced this problem since the beta. So don't tell me I'm lying.
Mon 25/07/05 at 14:47
"Goodbye Cruel World"
No i don't. My computers a month old, Athlon XP 3500+, 1gb Ram and Ati X800 XL graphics card. I have much much more than is needed. However it still crashes. And thats because most of the Uk gamers have given up on the issue, gone on to something better (such as city of hereos).

Meh
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:42
Regular
You must have a terrible computer if it doesn't run.

I've had it running on a laptop with only 256Mb, 2Ghz and a lite GeForce4 GPU. It was slow and graphically basic, but it ran fine and never BSOD'd.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:39
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Actually, this problems seems related only to the US version of the game at present. As I look through the European support forums I see that there are no threads relating to this Black Screen problem, I also see that allot of threads have actually gotten replies to from the tech support staff.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:31
Regular
"Divine Davine"
You sure are, it doesn't really work on a lot of computers. They rushed the BETA y'see...

Money grabbing knobs.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Irregular Sausage wrote:
> Seriously there is a bug which cause your whole computer to freeze on
> a black screen. Only hard resets fix it. And this can happen at 10
> second intervals. And your telling me thats not buggy??!!

I've never suffered from it, ergo it's not buggy for me. Hurray, I played it all day yesterday and my latency rarely got above 100. I guess I'm lucky.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:26
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Sausage says what I say, but in more detail ;)
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:24
"Goodbye Cruel World"
cipro wrote:
> I'll admit Blizzards support isn't the best, but they do get problems
> sorted and they do listen to peoples concerns. Also, whats this
> rubbish about it being horribly glitchy? I haven't played a MMORPG
> that's run as smoothly as WoW, rarely any glitches, bugs or random
> crashes, impressive to say it's Blizzards first MMORPG.

Yes. The thing with Wow seems to be this: if it runs on your computer, it runs well. If it doesn't run on your computer it's filled with bugs galore. And i don't mean run as in loading up, i mean people being able to play for more then 10 seconds at a time.

Seriously there is a bug which cause your whole computer to freeze on a black screen. Only hard resets fix it. And this can happen at 10 second intervals. And your telling me thats not buggy??!!
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:22
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Heard of the Black Screen Of Death??

You don't want to meet it.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:22
Regular
I have heard their Customer Service suck donkey balls, I've never needed to use them though - never had a major problem that I couldn't sort out myself.

The servers are becoming laggy to hell though, and there are some daft little issues that still need to be looked at - not bugs as such, just imbalances with classes/professions etc.

Oh, and NERF SHAMANS :D

I can't believe I just used the term 'nerf' :|

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.