GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"That's it."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/07/05 at 00:09
Regular
"Divine Davine"
I've just sold my Xbox. I don't know what emotions run through me right now. Sadness? Happiness? Or just a little numb?

Anyway, what I have left with me are my memories. Hell, when I first got it back in 2001 with the 4 games bundle, I was so excited. Jet Set Radio Future, Halo, Sega Gt and Splinter Cell were just so new back then. And when the months proceeded, so did the Xbox in terms of large quantites of quality software. Knights - jeez, everytime I play that just makes me feel so nostalgic. Beyond Good and Evil - a multi format game, but a superb one nothenless.

But come 2004, everything started to get a little generic for me. Where were these once obsecure and innovative games the console derived in? Otogi? Panzer Dragoon? Ninja Gaiden? Shenmue 2? No, the Xbox had hit the mainstream, completely outselling the Gamecube in most regions - it was the hype of Halo 2 that I felt started to tarnish the console's 'hardcore' gaming reputation. The releases of Grand Theft Auto also worked wonders for console sale-wise, but the Xbox started to become 'cool' and mainstream.

After Halo 2, the charm of the console was no longer there. I picked up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 that year, and I had to force myself to play it. The novelty of Xbox Live just wore thin and the console just started to depress me, only leaving Outrun 2 being the only game worthy of my time. I'm a total Nintendo fan at heart, and I really try not to be biased, but the Xbox doesn't really have that 'wow' factor anymore. The Gamecube? It's still got loads of titles I want to buy - just recently bought Baten Kaitos, and its excellent.

It's sad. I wanted to continue loving the Xbox, and even considering a 360, but those days are long gone. I'm left with all my retro consoles (look at my profile for the list ;P), my DS and Gamecube. Come on Ninty. Show them how it's done with the Revolution.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:19
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'll admit Blizzards support isn't the best, but they do get problems sorted and they do listen to peoples concerns. Also, whats this rubbish about it being horribly glitchy? I haven't played a MMORPG that's run as smoothly as WoW, rarely any glitches, bugs or random crashes, impressive to say it's Blizzards first MMORPG.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:16
"Goodbye Cruel World"
I agree with you. Wow is an amazing game. However I do not agree with Blizzard's customer service - have you seen the tech support forums? Hundreds of users who can't play the game because of one or two very serious bugs. And Blizzard have done zilch about it - heck theres even some threads with over 400 posts and no reply from Blizzard!

The sad thing is Blizzard have known these issues from pratically week 1. But they didn't fix it. Instead they made loads more 'buggy' copies and sent them outall over the world to unsuspecting customers. Not very good customer service if you ask me.

When you buy an Mmorpg you invest time and money. You need to be supported not only as a gamer, but also as a customer.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:12
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Yeah, WoW is meant to be horribly glitchy though, and the service is also poor - Blizzard don't seem to give a s**t about their customers, and hardly help them out. NCSoft on the other hard, are extremely optimistic and will help everyone out a.s.a.p
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:07
Regular
Irregular Sausage wrote:
> Bullett wrote:
> I've got Guild Wars - I killed a few things then went down to the
> village thing down the road - I got bored of it quite quickly
> though,
> not a patch on WoW.
>
> You didn't get very far then. Thats the beggining zone, you cannot
> purposefully do much there. And as with most mmorpg's, find someone
> to tag with and you enjoy it so much more.

Yeah I know I didn't get far, but it couldn't hold my attention long enough for me to progress anyhwere. WoW on the other hand, has you from the start - whether you group up or not - and doesn't let go.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:01
Regular
"8==="
Yeah there's PvP in PSO, it's rubbish - but it is there.
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Bullett wrote:
> I've got Guild Wars - I killed a few things then went down to the
> village thing down the road - I got bored of it quite quickly though,
> not a patch on WoW.

You didn't get very far then. Thats the beggining zone, you cannot purposefully do much there. And as with most mmorpg's, find someone to tag with and you enjoy it so much more.
Regular
> But WoW was thought impossible to have 3000 players in one server
> seeing as we're dealing with such high numbers there isn't much
> difference between 3000 and 5000 surely?

There's not much difference between 3000 and 5000? Hehe.

What calculations are ever done in WOW? A decision on how many hit points to take off of a bad guy? I haven't played it, but I doubt the physics come close to what would be needed to run something as complex as Unreal Tournament's physics online.

And we're not just talking movement of objects here, we're talking spatial partitioning apgorithms for projectile collisions and the works. How many people would have to be tested against the path of a rocket propelled gernade to test for collision, as well as how many effected by the blast area. We're talking a staggering amount of calculations to be andled in real-time for 5000 people.

It's aceptable to have a delay in communication in an RPG if it's not for too long. Any delay in an FPS means lag and errors. The processing power needed is phenominal, even for the basics.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:00
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Well yeh i would say so. They are both online role playing games are they not? The only difference is that Guild Wars offers features such as (omg!) Guilds, with capes and guild halls. Oh and also PvP done evry well. PSO (i don't believe) offers these things but i think that si mainly due to the evolvement of Mmorpgs in recent years.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:57
Regular
I've got Guild Wars - I killed a few things then went down to the village thing down the road - I got bored of it quite quickly though, not a patch on WoW.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:57
Regular
"8==="
I see.

So guildwars is an mmorpg despite the fact you have hubs and can only go out in parties of 4 people?

Sounds like PSO is pretty near to being an mmorpg by that definition.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.