GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"That's it."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/07/05 at 00:09
Regular
"Divine Davine"
I've just sold my Xbox. I don't know what emotions run through me right now. Sadness? Happiness? Or just a little numb?

Anyway, what I have left with me are my memories. Hell, when I first got it back in 2001 with the 4 games bundle, I was so excited. Jet Set Radio Future, Halo, Sega Gt and Splinter Cell were just so new back then. And when the months proceeded, so did the Xbox in terms of large quantites of quality software. Knights - jeez, everytime I play that just makes me feel so nostalgic. Beyond Good and Evil - a multi format game, but a superb one nothenless.

But come 2004, everything started to get a little generic for me. Where were these once obsecure and innovative games the console derived in? Otogi? Panzer Dragoon? Ninja Gaiden? Shenmue 2? No, the Xbox had hit the mainstream, completely outselling the Gamecube in most regions - it was the hype of Halo 2 that I felt started to tarnish the console's 'hardcore' gaming reputation. The releases of Grand Theft Auto also worked wonders for console sale-wise, but the Xbox started to become 'cool' and mainstream.

After Halo 2, the charm of the console was no longer there. I picked up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 that year, and I had to force myself to play it. The novelty of Xbox Live just wore thin and the console just started to depress me, only leaving Outrun 2 being the only game worthy of my time. I'm a total Nintendo fan at heart, and I really try not to be biased, but the Xbox doesn't really have that 'wow' factor anymore. The Gamecube? It's still got loads of titles I want to buy - just recently bought Baten Kaitos, and its excellent.

It's sad. I wanted to continue loving the Xbox, and even considering a 360, but those days are long gone. I'm left with all my retro consoles (look at my profile for the list ;P), my DS and Gamecube. Come on Ninty. Show them how it's done with the Revolution.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:56
Regular
Emmm, sort of ;)

Guild wars have a MMO meeting place, but once you start a mission, the only people with you the people you joined in the meeting area.

Meaning that the mission areas themselves are not part of a persistent online world, but the meeting areas are. I guess the meeting areas are just glorified lobbies, so I wouldn't class it as an MMORPG in the same traditional sense of WOW. It does look like a clever way to negate the costs of massively expensive server maintenence for an MMORPG universe ;).
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:55
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Yeh guildwars is described and is an mmorpg. Definetly. The only reason Guild Wars is like this because it has no subscription fees and therefore cutting costs. Which incidentally, if your looking to try an Mmorpg then Guild Wars is good to start off with.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:55
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Hedfix wrote:
> So is guildwars described as an mmorpg then?

Yeah. If you play it, you will hate Xbox lol - that's what happened to me. If there was no such thing as MMORPG's, I would still have the Xbox!
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:53
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> There may be 5000 players, but I'll guarantee they are split over
> several servers, if not many servers. You wont be able to walk
> around the world and talk to up to 5000 individual people in any game
> session. Sounds like marketting talk to me :).

But WoW was thought impossible to have 3000 players in one server seeing as we're dealing with such high numbers there isn't much difference between 3000 and 5000 surely?
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:53
Regular
"8==="
So is guildwars described as an mmorpg then?
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:51
"Goodbye Cruel World"
True :D
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:51
Regular
"8==="
Irregular Sausage wrote:
> Being able to walk aroudn the world and see everyone doesn't really
> bother me. In fact I quite like the way guild wars plays - in public
> places like towns you can see everyone, but you can only go out on
> missions with three other people.
>
> Not to say I don't like it the other way. I don't actually mind as
> long as it plays well!

A bit like the PSO hubs really.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:50
Regular
"8==="
Well at the start of Live someone suggesting a game having 50 players on one server would have seemed silly.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:50
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Being able to walk aroudn the world and see everyone doesn't really bother me. In fact I quite like the way guild wars plays - in public places like towns you can see everyone, but you can only go out on missions with three other people.

Not to say I don't like it the other way. I don't actually mind as long as it plays well!
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:45
Regular
The logistics of a single server handling 5000 individual players and all the physics calculations are just stupid :).

There may be 5000 players, but I'll guarantee they are split over several servers, if not many servers. You wont be able to walk around the world and talk to up to 5000 individual people in any game session. Sounds like marketting talk to me :).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.