GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"That's it."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/07/05 at 00:09
Regular
"Divine Davine"
I've just sold my Xbox. I don't know what emotions run through me right now. Sadness? Happiness? Or just a little numb?

Anyway, what I have left with me are my memories. Hell, when I first got it back in 2001 with the 4 games bundle, I was so excited. Jet Set Radio Future, Halo, Sega Gt and Splinter Cell were just so new back then. And when the months proceeded, so did the Xbox in terms of large quantites of quality software. Knights - jeez, everytime I play that just makes me feel so nostalgic. Beyond Good and Evil - a multi format game, but a superb one nothenless.

But come 2004, everything started to get a little generic for me. Where were these once obsecure and innovative games the console derived in? Otogi? Panzer Dragoon? Ninja Gaiden? Shenmue 2? No, the Xbox had hit the mainstream, completely outselling the Gamecube in most regions - it was the hype of Halo 2 that I felt started to tarnish the console's 'hardcore' gaming reputation. The releases of Grand Theft Auto also worked wonders for console sale-wise, but the Xbox started to become 'cool' and mainstream.

After Halo 2, the charm of the console was no longer there. I picked up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 that year, and I had to force myself to play it. The novelty of Xbox Live just wore thin and the console just started to depress me, only leaving Outrun 2 being the only game worthy of my time. I'm a total Nintendo fan at heart, and I really try not to be biased, but the Xbox doesn't really have that 'wow' factor anymore. The Gamecube? It's still got loads of titles I want to buy - just recently bought Baten Kaitos, and its excellent.

It's sad. I wanted to continue loving the Xbox, and even considering a 360, but those days are long gone. I'm left with all my retro consoles (look at my profile for the list ;P), my DS and Gamecube. Come on Ninty. Show them how it's done with the Revolution.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:12
Regular
"8==="
It's about stealing a big brandname from Sony.

Having a FF game on the 360 is a big thing, especially as they're making a big show of getting Japan on board properly this time.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:11
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Hedfix wrote:
> No-one was suggesting we have PC and Xbox players on the same
> servers.

Well MS did. They have told us (at E3) that we would be playing alongisde PC gamers.

Im sorry I assumed you already knew that.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:09
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Heh I have been watching/reading up on the game yeh. I think it's a bit weird MS making a big deal about this though, seeing as (according to online reviews) final fantasy XI wasnt supposed to be particulary amazing.

As a side thing has anyone played XI? It's quite cheap atm and i was thinking of picking it up, but I don't want to buy it blindly (i'd prefer all of your wisdom first :D)
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:09
Regular
"8==="
Oriental Rib wrote:
> Bullett wrote:
> Although I never played it, FFXI made quite an impression on the
> PS2.
> That's a good start for console MMORPGs.
>
> But yeah, I'd say it was a safe bet there will be many more to come
> with the next gen.
>
> I think FFXI is coming to the 360 along with an exclusive game from
> the maker of the FF series anyone else actually watched the whole 360
> showoff thing at IGN?
>
> *Pats insider subscription*

Old news. About 2 months old infact.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:08
Regular
"8==="
Irregular Sausage wrote:
> Im not too sure that the whole PC to Xbox 360 thing is gonna work
> particulary well. I think it'd be much betetr for MS to get one of
> their top developers to create a completely new Mmorpg for the 360.
> Or a curent one, but only playing with 360 players.

No-one was suggesting we have PC and Xbox players on the same servers.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:06
Regular
"8==="
Irregular Sausage wrote:
> Indeed. I can't see how they are going to be played well with a
> controller though. I mean I'm not just deliberately prolonging this
> argument/discussion, but Mmorpg's use a lot of hotkeys, most of them
> customisable. A console controller has a lot less buttons then a
> keyboard, so I can only presume that we'll have to go through endless
> menu's instead, which is going to clog up the otherwise smooth style
> of gameplay.
>
> Unless a keyboard is coming out for any of the next-gen consoles...?
> That could work. Or a speciafically designed Mmorpg contoller? Lol

Nope. It'd jusy be a tap or two on the D-pad to bring up certain things/menus. It'd be easy: Like selecting spells and items in Fable.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:05
Regular
Bullett wrote:
> Although I never played it, FFXI made quite an impression on the PS2.
> That's a good start for console MMORPGs.
>
> But yeah, I'd say it was a safe bet there will be many more to come
> with the next gen.

I think FFXI is coming to the 360 along with an exclusive game from the maker of the FF series anyone else actually watched the whole 360 showoff thing at IGN?

*Pats insider subscription*
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:05
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Im not too sure that the whole PC to Xbox 360 thing is gonna work particulary well. I think it'd be much betetr for MS to get one of their top developers to create a completely new Mmorpg for the 360. Or a curent one, but only playing with 360 players.
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:04
Regular
"8==="
gimo80 wrote:
> Kingdom Under Fire was boring. I agree with Sausage and Bullett - just
> change the sensitivity and everything will be just dandy. Consoles are
> always really iffy with converting PC games on it - a) the controls
> are always no way near as good - b) what's the point? Just play it on
> the PC to get the proper experience, not some diluted, inferior title
> of the same game.

Oh dear. Yes EVERYTHING's that black and white. Thren again when we get titles after the PC we can get more refined versions and IMO a better multiplayer setup.

Apart from the extra modes companies like to put into the console versions such as Doom 3, a rasta's version of Quake II.

As for control issues: only morons argue about that seriously as you can see here: [URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=127702&forumid=422[/URL]
Mon 25/07/05 at 12:02
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Indeed. I can't see how they are going to be played well with a controller though. I mean I'm not just deliberately prolonging this argument/discussion, but Mmorpg's use a lot of hotkeys, most of them customisable. A console controller has a lot less buttons then a keyboard, so I can only presume that we'll have to go through endless menu's instead, which is going to clog up the otherwise smooth style of gameplay.

Unless a keyboard is coming out for any of the next-gen consoles...? That could work. Or a speciafically designed Mmorpg contoller? Lol

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.