GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Olympics... OoOoO"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/08/08 at 19:18
"Are you sure?"
Olympics 2008 thread...
Full Olympics Medal Table from the BBC.

GB's roll of honour (again from the BBC).

I've been quite impressed with the opening ceremony - I watched most of it live this afternoon and I'm watching the highlights as I type this.

I hope 'we' can pull off something as respectable in 2012!!!

The BBC say 4bn people will be watching!
I was surprised to see Sara Brightman had got in there singing the Olympics anthem (good for album sales!).

I did a Google and some Chinese sites say she is from the USA! :¬(

Let's hope it's a good one - it's certainly started rather well...

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 17/08/08 at 22:13
Regular
"Monochromatic"
spoonbeast wrote:
> Again, paula radcliffe has proven to be a disappointment. But
> then, i predicted back in 2004 and thus proven right. Damn, i
> should have put a wager that she wasn't going to make it.

You wouldnt have found a bookie stupid enough to take your bet. She was injured. It's pretty cruel to be honest, i watched the race and the commentator said she's run 9 marathons in her career and won 7 of them. The 2 she didnt win? Athens and Beijing Olympics.
Sun 17/08/08 at 21:53
Regular
"eat toast!"
a good weekend for team gb. We're 3 and we've bagged ourselves a lot of medals. Now it becomes A question as to what we'll get during the week. Chances are, we've played are ace in the hole and we're not going to get many more medals and we'll probably slip back to 6th or worse.

Again, paula radcliffe has proven to be a disappointment. But then, i predicted back in 2004 and thus proven right. Damn, i should have put a wager that she wasn't going to make it.
Sun 17/08/08 at 21:42
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Population size is essentially irrelevant. It would only mean something if all other factors were equal and since they clearly arent...
Sun 17/08/08 at 21:27
Regular
"Monochromatic"
They might have far bigger populations but we've far more athletes at the games.
Sun 17/08/08 at 20:33
Regular
I got bored...

China (population - 1,321 million)

35g / 13s / 13b = 61

USA (population - 304 million)

19g / 21s / 25b = 65

Europe (population - 728 million)

57g / 76s / 92b = 225
Sun 17/08/08 at 19:10
Regular
Excellent, I really hope we do win some more. Its all very encouraging considering its our turn in 4 years.

So what did the Australian Olympic committee member say? Something about being surprised by our success considering we don't have any swimming pools or soap? :/

Teenage girls today should find role models in people like Rebecca Adlington, not Jordan, Chantelle and Charlotte Church.
Sun 17/08/08 at 19:00
Regular
"Monochromatic"
There will be more Gold to come for team GB. I watched the cycling this morning and we were completely dominant in it. There's also the triple-jump to come.
Sun 17/08/08 at 18:03
"Are you sure?"
Machie wrote:
> In America all the sites (CNN, Fox News etc) do the medal counts
> by medal total rather than total number of gold. So in their eyes
> they're winning the Olympics. The rest of the world do it by
> number of golds, which is the correct way.
>
> The reason for this is simple. Should a country with 100 bronze
> medals rank higher than a country with 99 gold medals?
>
> I should mention America have been doing it this way for awhile.

How stupid is that! As you say, what's better 100 bronze or 99 gold!!!

Mind you 'they' spell 'tyre' - 'tire' etc. etc. so they don't really have a clue ;¬)

GB with a population of around 60 million seems to be doing rather well against counties with many times our population (USA around 300m for example).

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 17/08/08 at 17:47
Regular
Woo, nice one Louis Smith got us a bronze in gymnastics :O we haven't won a medal in gymnastics for 80 years.

The last two Olympics we ended in 10th place. Hopefully over the next week we'll win some more medals and stay in the top 5. It'd be nice to stay in 3rd and beat Australia and Germany oh and of course Russia who are still quite low down the table.

China are doing well closing the gap between the Americans. They've won 4 more golds since this morning. It'd be nice if they beat America in both number of golds and total medals. That'll really push both sides to do their best in 2012. :)

I didn't know who to root for in the Women's individual pursuit. Rebecca Romero (GBR) or Wendy Houvenaghel (GBR).
Sun 17/08/08 at 10:30
Regular
In America all the sites (CNN, Fox News etc) do the medal counts by medal total rather than total number of gold. So in their eyes they're winning the Olympics. The rest of the world do it by number of golds, which is the correct way.

The reason for this is simple. Should a country with 100 bronze medals rank higher than a country with 99 gold medals?

I should mention America have been doing it this way for awhile.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.