GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA EXTRA GAMEADAY PRIZE (July PC Parts and Peripherals)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/07/02 at 14:52
Regular
And s**g off SR you did.

Okay, sorry for the lenghty delay but it's been a madhouse round here for the last... blimey, that's almost a month. No matter, because we've picked a winner. A lot of you simply suggested we sell stuff cheaper, or 'knock off a tenner to make it look good' which isn't really very productive - what we were looking for was a mixture of suggestions for new products, and how best to promote the ones we have. And the person who did that the best was...

DeltaJava.

Well done matey, you win a Game or DVD of your choice up to the value of £50. He suggested we take a look at our prices of stuff like Encarta and Paintshop Pro, compared to other retailers, and tipped us off about some new products to stock like USB2.0 and more TV cards. Basically, his collection of suggestions was the most complete, and for that, he is rewarded. If you scroll back through the topic, his posts are highlighted in yellow.

Anyway, thanks to the rest of you for all of your posts, we'll take the into consideration. Even the ones about boobs and stuff. You kids. Complaints to the usual address, I'll ignore them like I always do.

S
-x-

--------------------------------------------------

Here's a really good chance to sl*g off SR.

Take a look at our range of PC parts and peripherals. i.e. anything which works in, with or connects to a PC.

What's missing from the range?
Where are we out of date or over-priced?
Which descriptions fail to do justice to the products?

For example you could tell us that our A03 drives are out of date and over priced and that we should be selling the A04. (posted by Bonzo Banana did yesterday)

You do NOT need to post all of your suggestion in one post. ALL of your posts will be added together for the selection process.

Closes Thursday August 1st.

Mr Snuuuuggly will extract the thread and pass it to our PC Buyers who will say 'Oh my God, what clever customers we have'. They (the un-named and un-shamed) will determine the winner.

Winner gets a full GAD prize. Only one winner folks.

(er-thanks in advance guys. And none of those "getting us to do their work" jibes PLEASE!)
Wed 17/07/02 at 21:28
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Fog wrote:
> I thought they only sold their Ram as trade also, they make the Ram so
> I would have guessed they'd be able to sell it cheaper.

Nah they'll sell it to anyone (well they sold it to me..!). Tell you what their delivery times were amazing - free next day before 12..!
Wed 17/07/02 at 20:44
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Oh yeah, your ink cartridegs for Lexmark printers are almost non-existent. Perhaps ome more cartridges for the Lexmark Z13,23,33 etc and maybe some unofficial ones (official are upto 30 quid) or even official ones at *gasps* below RRP prices.

Then I would buy ink from you, and life would be better!
Wed 17/07/02 at 20:36
Regular
One major problem I have when buying PC hardware and software (including games) is compatability issues.

All hardware and software packaging has the requirements and compatability information printed on it so that we don't have any trouble in finding compatable games and hardware in the shops, but we don't get that opportunity when browsing online.

So why not include compatability information with PC product info?
Wed 17/07/02 at 20:18
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
How many times have people tried to search a product only to see Special Reserve pop up as a link!?!? Every bloody product I have looked has a link!

Anyway, on a more serious note...

Your ink prices are quite expensive compared to other places.
For example you charge £26.99 for a HP C6625A Ink Cartridge Tri-Colour for Deskjet 840C/843C while I can buy it on Amazon for £21.86.

As ink is extremely expensive nowadays, you should consider stocking the cheap refil kits that you can buy, these are a lot cheaper than buying new official cartridges as they only cost around £10.

http://www.inkjet-service.co.uk/printers/refill_kits/
hewlett_packard_black_kd8n.htm

That link above shows one type of kit you can buy.

Also buy selling unnofficial carteridges you can save all the poor people lots of money. £18.99 is what one online store charge for their unnofficial 840C cartridges while you charge £26.99 for an official one.

Hope that helps...
Wed 17/07/02 at 19:56
videologic ZXR-500 speakers superb sound for the price and works well with the said sound card and any other 6 channel sound card
Wed 17/07/02 at 19:53
Videologic Sonic Fury sound card it is an ace 6 channel card I prefer it to the Creative one
Wed 17/07/02 at 18:50
Regular
After browsing through your PC parts and PC peripherals sections, I came across the ‘PC Books’ part. I noticed that there are only twenty-three books that you have for sale. This, against the number possible, is minuscule. There is a wealth of challenging games out there, and therefore quite a demand for strategy guides, which you have little of.

Also, for someone who would like to get into programming and wants to make their own games (like myself, for one) there is nothing. I’ve seen books like this in the shops, and thought that I should buy them from you, due to your cheap prices. Unfortunately, your selection is less than limited – it’s not existent. So many times have my friends and I shouted at the television, yelling that we could do better. All gamers do it, so if you start selling a range of books that tells you how, it will definitely be popular and worthwhile.

You usually have everything I need for the gaming world, and at a lower price too. But if I had to make a criticism, it would be the book section. It would be good to see more, and if they are as inexpensive as your other products, then I’m sure they’d do well.

Thanks for reading,
SolidSnakeXXI
Wed 17/07/02 at 17:57
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I'd like to refer back to the CD-R's, that a place called Silicon Centre (website on request) sold at one point black blank CD-R's in packs of 100 at around the same price as normal CD-R's, and as far as I know they sell to trade.

Nice one Darkus!
Wed 17/07/02 at 17:52
liteon have a x48x48x12 burner out now oh and i have they x16 dvd drive and its ace also i have a soltek board sl-75drv5 333 and they are exellent with one of the best software packages ive seen
Wed 17/07/02 at 17:41
Regular
"..."
Cut and paste-tastic from tons of previous e-mails sent, here are products that we should stock, stuff we sell that is that too expensive etc. here we go :)

----------

CD Writers:

Teac CD-W540EK - a burnproof, 40 speed brand named writer. It has an 8MB buffer and is the fastest writer currently available. It was awarded a PC Advisor best buy and got 1st place in their latest group test. Dabs.com are selling this drive for £79, which is only £10 more than our Benq and the Benq is only 24 speed write. This drive can write 40 speed on 32 speed media!

--

Plextor PlexWriter 40/12/40a - another burnproof 40 speed writer. This one is about £110. It received a review score of 93% and a PC Format Gold award recently. It features new technologies PoweRec II and VariRec for improved audio performance. PCG Magazine (June 2002) also gave this drive 9/10 saying "A handful of clever new technologies and raw speed put this ahead of the pack"

--

There is also a brand new 40 speed BenQ CD writer which we could get it as it is very affordable (about £70) but we feel a named brand like Teac is a fairly important addition.

--

As for Blank Media itself, we are quite expensive and compared to our competition. We have made suggestions to the buyers such as 50 Benq CD-R's (32x) for under £15! I think that this is very important because that's about 25p per disk and we do ours at 40p per disk. Even if we have to buy in bulk I see no reason why we shouldn't stock them! Dabs Also sell the 100 packs, not on a spindle like ours but with jewel cases for about £40!

--

Graphics Cards:

We feel the range should be diversified and not just Sparkle and Creative:

Visiontek XTASY GeForce 4 Ti4400 - £275 RRP
(91% PC Format Gold Award - June 2002)
Quote: "State-of-the-art features and speed at about the most affordable price you'll find"
more info at: http://www.visiontek.com/uk/g4_ti42_128.shtml

--

Gainward Ultra 750XP Golden Sample; GeForce 4 Ti4600 - £379 RRP
(90% PC Format Gold Award - May 2002)
Although expensive we know that our customers will pay huge amounts for the best graphics cards, especially considering they are available on finance. PC Format said of this card "Great, if you must have the fastest card, money no object".

--

In this months PC Home Mag they have done a test of 8 of the best graphics cards around. Looking at the database it seems we only stock one of them? Can we look into stocking more of the top rated cards?:

Visiontek Xtasy Geforce 4 MX440- £120 - Silver award (PC Home)
http://www.visiontek.com/uk/mx440.shtml

Hercules All-in-wonder Radeon 7500 - £179 - Gold award (PC Home)
http://www.hercules-uk.com /products/graphic/awi_7500/7500_info.htm

Hercules 3D Prophet 7500 DDR - £115 - Silver Award (PC Home)
http://www.hercules-uk.com /products/7500ddr_64mb/7500ddr_64mb.htm

--

In order to expand our huge range of 3 PCI graphics cards we could look at:

3D Blaster 4 MX200 PCI - SRP £59.99 (GeForce 4)
Brings advanced NVIDIA® chipset technology to the non-AGP PC market.
* Better performance: Incredible price and performance.
* An excellent upgrade choice for the older PC, PCs with motherboard
graphics, non-AGP PCs.
* Faster screen action, clearer images, better 3D effects.
* Second generation T&L plus NVIDIA Shading rasteriser.
* DirectX Texture Compression and High-Performance Hardware Anti-Aliasing.
* Advanced NVIDIA technologies for compatibility, quality and reliability.

--

Misc Products:

Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical - £30 RRP
(9/10 - PCG Magazine June 2002)

Quote: "A ridiculously accurate device that boasts not one but two sensors... great for 3D shooters"
more info at: http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/3441

--

Now that sales seem to rising for our £200 Coolermaster tower, how about offering a cheaper alternative?

Tpopular LIAN-LI PC-60 for £104, you can even buy a clear side panel for it for £20 extra...

http://www.lian-li.com/ product.php?action=viewPD&prdid=362

--

Found out digital dream (lespion people)also do a camera called the L'elite for £99. Has big images size and 1.3 megapixel spec.

--

New Mustek mini camera, same size and price as the l'espion, but takes bigger pics, up to 1024 x 768...

http://www.mustek-europe.com/eng_/html/produkte/gsmini.htm

--

As for monitors the Iiyama range of Vision Master monitors has been doing very well. Their 17in monitor, the Vision Master Pro 413 was 1st place in the PC Advisor lab test and received a best buy award. It retails for around £180.

-----------------------------------------------

Regards, Darkus and Hybrid xxx :: Enjoy Snuggly :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.