GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA EXTRA GAMEADAY PRIZE (July PC Parts and Peripherals)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/07/02 at 14:52
Regular
And s**g off SR you did.

Okay, sorry for the lenghty delay but it's been a madhouse round here for the last... blimey, that's almost a month. No matter, because we've picked a winner. A lot of you simply suggested we sell stuff cheaper, or 'knock off a tenner to make it look good' which isn't really very productive - what we were looking for was a mixture of suggestions for new products, and how best to promote the ones we have. And the person who did that the best was...

DeltaJava.

Well done matey, you win a Game or DVD of your choice up to the value of £50. He suggested we take a look at our prices of stuff like Encarta and Paintshop Pro, compared to other retailers, and tipped us off about some new products to stock like USB2.0 and more TV cards. Basically, his collection of suggestions was the most complete, and for that, he is rewarded. If you scroll back through the topic, his posts are highlighted in yellow.

Anyway, thanks to the rest of you for all of your posts, we'll take the into consideration. Even the ones about boobs and stuff. You kids. Complaints to the usual address, I'll ignore them like I always do.

S
-x-

--------------------------------------------------

Here's a really good chance to sl*g off SR.

Take a look at our range of PC parts and peripherals. i.e. anything which works in, with or connects to a PC.

What's missing from the range?
Where are we out of date or over-priced?
Which descriptions fail to do justice to the products?

For example you could tell us that our A03 drives are out of date and over priced and that we should be selling the A04. (posted by Bonzo Banana did yesterday)

You do NOT need to post all of your suggestion in one post. ALL of your posts will be added together for the selection process.

Closes Thursday August 1st.

Mr Snuuuuggly will extract the thread and pass it to our PC Buyers who will say 'Oh my God, what clever customers we have'. They (the un-named and un-shamed) will determine the winner.

Winner gets a full GAD prize. Only one winner folks.

(er-thanks in advance guys. And none of those "getting us to do their work" jibes PLEASE!)
Thu 18/07/02 at 09:57
Regular
".......on the attac"
SR,

I bought a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer from you about a year and a half ago for £29.99 because it was the cheapest price for it on the web. However, now it is £42.99. A big difference was that the one I bought was unboxed but this, like a lot of your range of peripherals, is not competitively priced, even when you take into account the free postage you offer.

Also, I am interested in the Trust Ami Hand Track which you have for sale at £29.99. Looking around I have found it for half the price at a well known (and usually rather expensive) high street retailer.

I also bought a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro around the same time as the Explorer mouse. I looked for it on SR but you only stock a limited range of keyboards. Another online retailer got my business then.
Thu 18/07/02 at 05:57
How about putting up links to the company's website, which the products are made by? This would work well for parts that may need updated drivers every now and again. Modem drivers, CD re-writers and DVD drives, for example. I needed updated drivers to run a certain type of DVD on my system.

Another idea would be to put up information about any known bugs or conflicts with certain systems, programs or operating systems. For example, I know that the modem I use has conflicts with AOL version 7. This would work well for Windows XP users as some products won't work in an XP-run system at all. Also, people wishing to buy Windows XP may want to know what hardware will they need to update/replace.

Finally, a product rating system could be introduced. Users that already have the product could rate it, giving indication to others how good it is. For instance, a little text at the side saying:

What users think: 87%
Rate it | Read opinions

ShadowDragon
Thu 18/07/02 at 01:13
Regular
"everyone says it"
******* :::er-tips::: *********

Sell ickle things which most people come desperately searching on the internet for - like digital video memory cards.

Moving away from what you asked. I reckon SR should sell Digital Video cameras and equipment. Get into the trend that is going to become very popular with the ever-fast-becoming home editing suites.

Sell DV cameras, film, tripods... damn it, that list is endless... and yes, it is a PC peripheral. :D

What else... sell microphones, cheap external ones which lots of people need. Sell the kits which enable CD drives to burn DVD's... I think they are available now? Sell PC houses, so that people can customise the CPU housing of there house... that would be easy to advertise as well.. just show a grey one then a black one and then a purple seethrough one.

Sell cheap PC joypads and controllers, I think you already do but just advertise them with the appropriate games. eg, Flight Sim with a joystick and GTA3 with a controller.

I think the PC section should have advantages of that product in its description, especially for upgrades and updates, tell the customer why they should upgrade from what they have! 'The GeForce 4 out powers its predescessor by *(#@(' ;) That's what I think is missing. Call it 'Whats the difference' or something.

As for actual PC's. The MAXX range does rule, my brothers mate has got one that I use and they blitz a lot of games. However, I still think you should sell Mac computers and items.... even if its just the actual sole Mac games.

Hmm.. also sell PDA items, those are excellent sellers and would be great to throw into a bundle and knock off some of the price. Palm Pilots are the greatest ones so sell them. Advertise the advantages of the connectivity between the Maxx PC and the PDA.

Loads more.. maybe tommorrow.
Thu 18/07/02 at 00:53
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
With all the peripherals you have there is a list of info about it after the product. For most of these you have to know a fair bit about computing to understand what it is, what it does and if it is suitable. Maybe a little more info to 'everyday' no PC type people as to what its good and bad points are, how it helps them and if it is compatible with the system they have.

And as er-no said sell more mac stuff. I don't know if you do already but what about laptops and laptop parts/peripherals.
Thu 18/07/02 at 00:50
Regular
"everyone says it"
Definetely sell more Mac released games! Even if its the Mac version of The Sims of something. Loads of buyers out there want these games!

Believe me.
Thu 18/07/02 at 00:49
Regular
"everyone says it"
Sell Mac's and Mac parts.
Thu 18/07/02 at 00:47
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I think that for each item you should have a little bit about how it is installed and how easy/difficult it is to instal.
Or have a whole section on the site showing basic repairs, additions and modifications so that more people can do it themselves.

Also a 'What the geeks says' section where a geek has their veiw on how good it is. If not then have a 'what previous buyers think' and post what others who have bought it have thought of it.
Wed 17/07/02 at 22:21
Come to think of it I need a new printer HP940 92% in pc format this month at around £100 will do nicely except im totally broke :0(
Wed 17/07/02 at 21:52
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Oh yes, totally unpc related but here we go. Why not sell a product called "Traffic Master". It helps inform drivers in cars of traffic. My Dad has it, and it's a good useful gadget.
Wed 17/07/02 at 21:49
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I've always thought SR weren't too good on the hardware side. I've always felt they have been a games site rather than a top hardware site, mainly due to the prices, and the small range.

Ram for example, I can find it around £6 cheaper else where on the internet.
More cheaper CDRW. I was impressed with the BENQ 69.99 one, but maybe some other options, maybe even ones around £60?

More internal ADSL PCI modems? And maybe some cheaper ones around £50?

A wider range of PCI graphics cards, not everyone has an AGP slot... how about the Nvidia TNT 2? There are lots of Nvidia chipset graphics cards out there.. And cheaper ones I hastenly add. Not many people I know, would spend £300ish on a graphics card. Some more £90 and under ones please.

Second hand hardware might be a success. You already sell second hand games, so why not hardware?

A wider range of keyboards? I'd recommend the Logitech Deluxe Keyboard, it has media controls such as play and pause, as well as programmable buttons you can use to launch certain websites or programs.

Talking of Logitech, you don't seem to have many Logitech products for the PC. In my experience I have found them to be a cheap reliable brand.

CD media. *shudders*. I can 25 cd disks on a spindle for that £14.99, and 50 for £25. I'm sure there are much cheaper unbranded cds out there if you look.

Why not sell empty jewel cases and DVD cases? Some people like to store their cds in nice cases...

Laptop extras such as laptop cd rom drives? Etc...

More customisable PCs please. Please allow the keyboard, mouse, copy of windows (and other software), modem, speakers, monitor and cdrw/dvd drives be optional. Some people out there desperately want a PC yet can't afford the top of the range ones. People tend to have these extras if they have previously bought a computer that is maybe now out of date. Maybe offering them a much cheaper option with all the basics needed to make a good PC would give these people computers, and make the world a better place. The fate of those needy people rests in your hands....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.