GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA EXTRA GAMEADAY PRIZE (July PC Parts and Peripherals)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/07/02 at 14:52
Regular
And s**g off SR you did.

Okay, sorry for the lenghty delay but it's been a madhouse round here for the last... blimey, that's almost a month. No matter, because we've picked a winner. A lot of you simply suggested we sell stuff cheaper, or 'knock off a tenner to make it look good' which isn't really very productive - what we were looking for was a mixture of suggestions for new products, and how best to promote the ones we have. And the person who did that the best was...

DeltaJava.

Well done matey, you win a Game or DVD of your choice up to the value of £50. He suggested we take a look at our prices of stuff like Encarta and Paintshop Pro, compared to other retailers, and tipped us off about some new products to stock like USB2.0 and more TV cards. Basically, his collection of suggestions was the most complete, and for that, he is rewarded. If you scroll back through the topic, his posts are highlighted in yellow.

Anyway, thanks to the rest of you for all of your posts, we'll take the into consideration. Even the ones about boobs and stuff. You kids. Complaints to the usual address, I'll ignore them like I always do.

S
-x-

--------------------------------------------------

Here's a really good chance to sl*g off SR.

Take a look at our range of PC parts and peripherals. i.e. anything which works in, with or connects to a PC.

What's missing from the range?
Where are we out of date or over-priced?
Which descriptions fail to do justice to the products?

For example you could tell us that our A03 drives are out of date and over priced and that we should be selling the A04. (posted by Bonzo Banana did yesterday)

You do NOT need to post all of your suggestion in one post. ALL of your posts will be added together for the selection process.

Closes Thursday August 1st.

Mr Snuuuuggly will extract the thread and pass it to our PC Buyers who will say 'Oh my God, what clever customers we have'. They (the un-named and un-shamed) will determine the winner.

Winner gets a full GAD prize. Only one winner folks.

(er-thanks in advance guys. And none of those "getting us to do their work" jibes PLEASE!)
Wed 17/07/02 at 17:22
Regular
"..."
½pint wrote:
> > > Also, I think the inclusion of thumbnail pictures next to each item is> a must. Sure, this would be an extremely long and arduous task to
> implement, but it allows people to see what they're getting. This is
> a must for things like monitors, speakers and general PC peripherals.
> If I was buying a new set of speakers, I wouldn't be buying them for
> their '12W rms subwoofer', but how they would look next to my PC.
> Just a small picture of what it is would save a lot of hassle for a
> customer, especially if they have to click through every one
> separately using a rickety old 56k modem.
>

Dude, I totally agree. Was turned down before though as the page with all the pictures on it(if large amount of search results)would alledgedly take too long to load... But then again we could have an option to browse without the images for those with a slower connection...
Wed 17/07/02 at 17:13
Regular
"¬_¬"
Right, here's what I think:

In terms of blank CDs, the smaller packs (ie. 10 CDs) are a bit on the expensive side - a tenner for ten CDs is kind of pricy considering the competition (Novatech are selling 50 for £11)
This is made worse considering the 50 bundle is of 80 minute CDs.
However, everything else is alright, but you should consider making the re-writables a bit cheaper - I've seen plenty of places with re-writables cheaper than the prices that you're selling your normal CDs.
The single writable media is a cheek (£2.50 for 1 CD? You gotta be joking!), but the writable DVD stuff is at an OK price considering the ludicrous prices I've seen in places such as Comet and Dixons.
The larger bundles are very good - My dad bought us one of those packs of 100 unbranded CDs for 35 quid last year - we've still got loads left. If there was one suggestion I'd have for those would be to put them on a spool. There was nothing more annoying than having a stack of CDs slipping all over the place :D.

The graphics cards I can't really comment on because it seems you're just selling them at the RRP. However, I think you should offer a bit of a discount at least (maybe just a tenner off). Something like the GeForce 4 Ti 4600 would look a lot better at £299, because it is cheaper, but looks a LOT cheaper. (If you know what I mean)

The RAM prices look to be OK, but if you could specify the compatible motherboards it would seem one hell of a lot easier to tell if it is compatible. Also, I think on all the various lists of parts, you should advertise the installation thing (where you take it to a SR shop to get parts installed). If I were looking to upgrade my PC but didn't have much knowledge, seeing an advertisement for a cheap installation fee at a local shop, I would probably just do that. The explanations of various types of RAM are helpful, but I think they could be explained a little less technically.

Rather than just having a short paragraph of explanation, I think you should follow the bulletpoint style of information. It makes it easier to read and people can scan to see what they want.
An example:

HARD DRIVE - MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX D540X, 60 GB, E-IDE, 3.5”, U-DMA100, MODE 4, 9 MS, 100 MB/SEC, 2 MB CACHE, 5400RPM, 3 YR. • Maxtor Diamondmax D540X • 60 GB capacity • 5400 rpm spin speed • 9 ms seek time • 2 MB cache • U-DMA100. Transfer modes at up to 100 MB/sec • E-IDE interface • 3.5” drive. (To fit to into a 5.25" drive bay see GG4547) • 3 yr manufacturers warranty .

Excuse me if I'm being rude, but this is pretty much a paragraph of condensed bulletpoints. Plus, some of this information isn't necessary under the basic list of drives. I think only the most vital information, such as capacity, speed and DTR should be displayed, and upon clicking for more information the rest of the statistics shown. When I was looking for a hard drive a few months ago, I found some of the information on SR confusing because it is all crammed together.

Also, I think the inclusion of thumbnail pictures next to each item is a must. Sure, this would be an extremely long and arduous task to implement, but it allows people to see what they're getting. This is a must for things like monitors, speakers and general PC peripherals. If I was buying a new set of speakers, I wouldn't be buying them for their '12W rms subwoofer', but how they would look next to my PC. Just a small picture of what it is would save a lot of hassle for a customer, especially if they have to click through every one separately using a rickety old 56k modem.

I don't think that its the prices of things so much that matters, but the manner in which things are presented. If you were to look on other web sites which sell PC parts, you'd see that the descriptions aren't so statistic rich. I'm not suggesting the entire layout be changed, merely that you get all the detail when you click the 'Info' button, rather than when you search. There is nothing more annoying that if you want a wireless infra-red mouse, but all the site will tell you is the size and type of batteries it will take and the meaning of 'optical'.
Wed 17/07/02 at 16:53
Regular
"Tat Twam Asi"
Fuzzy wrote:
> And also, your blank media is rather expensive, working out at
> sometimes a pound a disc! Even your bundles of 100 are still quite
> expensive, as I bought 100 discs and 100 cases for £35 from a
> retailer in Edinburgh when 100 spindel bound discs are £40
> here.
>
> But apart from that, everything else appears to be = to are less than
> your competitors.
>
> Bravo!

I have mentioned this to our buying team, the BenQ range of CDRs are highly affordable and well recommended. We'll try and get these in to the database soon as!
Wed 17/07/02 at 16:42
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Let me finalise my moaning - £2.50 for *1* black blank 750MB CD-R!

Good god! :D
Wed 17/07/02 at 16:40
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
And also, your blank media is rather expensive, working out at sometimes a pound a disc! Even your bundles of 100 are still quite expensive, as I bought 100 discs and 100 cases for £35 from a retailer in Edinburgh when 100 spindel bound discs are £40 here.

But apart from that, everything else appears to be = to are less than your competitors.

Bravo!
Wed 17/07/02 at 16:40
Regular
"how long have i got"
i havent read all of these so i will post this.

I think that the prices are O.K, but out of Date, and SR should make an exception to have GAD, FAD, and PCPAD----->(PC-Parts-A-Day)
Wed 17/07/02 at 16:38
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I thought they only sold their Ram as trade also, they make the Ram so I would have guessed they'd be able to sell it cheaper.
Wed 17/07/02 at 16:37
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I know they're expensive, but more Lexmark printer cartridges! And if you could sell them cheaper than elsewhere then well SR you've got yourself a willing customer!

:D
Wed 17/07/02 at 16:33
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I wouldn't have thought SR would be able to sell much of modding stuff as most people here don't want to modify their PCs, if they do they'll probably go somewhere else for them, I'd have thought you'd be better off sticking to the market you have already.
Wed 17/07/02 at 16:31
Regular
External CD Re-writers:

I have noticed that you don't stock any External CD Re-Writers and only Internal ones. Now i'm sure that i'm not the only one who's parents don't feel comfortable opening up their PC just incase something goes wrong. You could make a lot of money if you thought about selling it lower than the RRP like usual.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.