GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You blind Ninty monkeys"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 14:53
Regular
You think you're so smart with your nice new GameCubes. Happy with them are you? I know you are, you've told us enough times. Especially "Oooh, this controller is fantastic, it's much better than all the other controllers I've used".

Bollards.

Why can't you see it's exactly the same as the DualShock 2 but with less features? Let's run through this:

· D-pad - check
· Two analog sticks - check
· Four main buttons - check
· Shoulder buttons - check
· Rumble - nope
· Full analog on ALL buttons - nope
· 4 shoulder buttons - nope
· Analog sticks as sensitive as the DualShock 2 - nope
· Ability to drop for storeys and still work perfectly - nope

Excuse me if I'm wrong but surely if it's the SAME shape with the SAME layout but with less functions, that makes it worse? Oh no, sorry, I'm missing out the facts that it's purple and made by Nintendo, that automatically makes it far superior, I'm terribly sorry.

I dare any of you to prove to me that the GameCube controller is better than the DualShock 2 - and saying that "it's more comfortable" is a cop-out.
Page:
Fri 07/06/02 at 17:11
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Nintendo DID invent the first analogue joystick, the 70's Atari one was DIGITAL.

I've got a GameCube, so of course I'm going to say that the GameCube controller is better. I think it's better, so I'm a Ninty. The Sony crew say the DS2 is better, because they're Sony, they're sony because they like sony and the controller.

Personally, I found that when playing GTA3 I kept subconsciously using the D-pad over the stick. On the Gamecube pad the stick and pad are the other way round, which I find far more comfortable.

And such a topic is bad, it just makes for a debate. The debate can be very good, yes, but in SR people are inevitably going to turn to name-calling and uninteliigent arguments. After all, we're all silly little kids playing silly games.
Fri 07/06/02 at 17:18
I said the sticks are too twitchy - i.e. one moment there's no response, but a little jerk of the stick and the character/vehicle goes too far in the direction you wanted it to go. It's the reason why I'm still in Amateur mode in GT3.

The GC controller is indeed responsive and sensitive, but in the controlled way that you'd expect - i.e. a small jerk equates to a miniscule movement in the player, exactly how you wanted it. Another words, it less easy to control the analog sticks of the DualShock2, especially if your fingers are tired or worn out (stop that thought).

Oh, and it depends on what memory card you have.
Fri 07/06/02 at 17:19
Regular
0-MessiaH-0 wrote:
>The Sony crew say the DS2 is better, because they're Sony, they're sony >because they like sony and the controller.

Give this man a GAD...
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:02
"High polygon count"
DeltaJava wrote:
> I said the sticks are too twitchy - i.e. one moment there's no
> response, but a little jerk of the stick and the character/vehicle
> goes too far in the direction you wanted it to go. It's the reason
> why I'm still in Amateur mode in GT3.

Then I would suggest - in all honesty, and with respect - that you have/had a defective controller, because I've never found the DualShock sticks to be anything other than solid and responsive.

As for your lack of success in GT3, maybe you just need to practice more! The DualShock is absolutely superb in GT3, both in terms of control and feedback; it has been since the original DualShock on the original PlayStation with the original Gran Turismo. It's almost as if it was designed with the game in mind.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
0-MessiaH-0 wrote:
> Nintendo DID invent the first analogue joystick, the 70's Atari one
> was DIGITAL.

There have been many more analog controllers after that and before Nintendo's efforts.

> I've got a GameCube, so of course I'm going to say that the GameCube
> controller is better. I think it's better, so I'm a Ninty. The Sony
> crew say the DS2 is better, because they're Sony, they're sony because
> they like sony and the controller.
>
> Personally, I found that when playing GTA3 I kept subconsciously using
> the D-pad over the stick. On the Gamecube pad the stick and pad are
> the other way round, which I find far more comfortable.
>
> And such a topic is bad, it just makes for a debate.

YOU WHAT?? This is EXACTLY the kind of topic this forum has been begging for!

> The debate can
> be very good, yes, but in SR people are inevitably going to turn to
> name-calling and uninteliigent arguments.

I think you'll find that it's only the Nintys that have done that so far... funny, that.

> After all, we're all silly
> little kids playing silly games.

No, you are.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:11
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

>
> As for your lack of success in GT3, maybe you just need to practice
> more! The DualShock is absolutely superb in GT3, both in terms of
> control and feedback; it has been since the original DualShock on the
> original PlayStation with the original Gran Turismo. It's almost as
> if it was designed with the game in mind.

I really have to get a wheel for practice in time for my driving teest in the Summer. Recommendations for cars to use?
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:13
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Skylines, Supras and Evos all the way.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:20
Cannot afford, I'm afraid. I'll stick with my Honda S-type 2000. In Midnight Pearl - mmm.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:52
Regular
I've just read your post and i must say you made mistakes:

1: It does have rumble

2: Can it not stand a 4 storey fall? The Gameboy can why can't the Controller? Let me get my mum.

Anyway I wasn't saying games were crap due to the use of the duel shock 2 just that it isn't a next generation if it relys so heavily on the last one.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:55
Regular
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.