GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You blind Ninty monkeys"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 14:53
Regular
You think you're so smart with your nice new GameCubes. Happy with them are you? I know you are, you've told us enough times. Especially "Oooh, this controller is fantastic, it's much better than all the other controllers I've used".

Bollards.

Why can't you see it's exactly the same as the DualShock 2 but with less features? Let's run through this:

· D-pad - check
· Two analog sticks - check
· Four main buttons - check
· Shoulder buttons - check
· Rumble - nope
· Full analog on ALL buttons - nope
· 4 shoulder buttons - nope
· Analog sticks as sensitive as the DualShock 2 - nope
· Ability to drop for storeys and still work perfectly - nope

Excuse me if I'm wrong but surely if it's the SAME shape with the SAME layout but with less functions, that makes it worse? Oh no, sorry, I'm missing out the facts that it's purple and made by Nintendo, that automatically makes it far superior, I'm terribly sorry.

I dare any of you to prove to me that the GameCube controller is better than the DualShock 2 - and saying that "it's more comfortable" is a cop-out.
Page:
Fri 07/06/02 at 15:15
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I had to play through MGS2 using the D-pad because the analogue sticks are so poor.
But I have to admit that the analogue sticks worked great in GTA3.

In the end of the day it's about personal choice. I prefer the Gamecube pad as I know it's far better than the others and I think the stick is much better, you may disagree, and you are entitled to your opinions.

By the way, have you played Wave Race or Luigi's Mansion with the GC pad??
Both are sublime, with perfect control and sensitivity, far exceeding anything i've played on the PS2 control prescision wise.
I just have a major problem with the PS2 analogue sticks as they're just not 'stiff' enough, and I don't feel I have complete control when trying to press it slightly to the left or right (but as I said, GTA3 was perfect).
Fri 07/06/02 at 15:31
"High polygon count"
Turbonutter wrote:
> You know very well the answer to this question :-)

Would that be the answer containing the words 'blinkered', 'biased', and 'beyond hope' by any chance?
Fri 07/06/02 at 15:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dringo wrote:
> The PS2 controller is an expert design, for the PS1 era now it haqs
> been outdated. If you want the games to feel new and fresh then make
> that literal as well as subconsious,

Blah blah, change the record, this one's getting old. The PS1 controller was near-perfect. It's fantastic. The PS2 extends it, with more features and more usability. It's everything you could ever want from a controller - only Nintendo would change something out of prode.

> if i was playing a PS2 i'd see no
> difference between that and the PS1 controller. I am not saying Duel
> Shock is out of date far from it if that controller was used on the
> Gamecube it wouldnt be but that is because the N64's pad was
> different.

This is true, yet you're missing out on the backwards compatability bit.

> For a Nintendo fan a new pad even if it does resemeble the PS2 one
> still makes the games play different than the N64 ones. The PS2's
> don't... end.

Well,. if you want to judge gameplay by teh bad you use, then go ahead.
Fri 07/06/02 at 15:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Totoro wrote:
> I had to play through MGS2 using the D-pad because the analogue sticks
> are so poor.

You are lying.

> But I have to admit that the analogue sticks worked great in GTA3.
>
> In the end of the day it's about personal choice. I prefer the
> Gamecube pad as I know it's far better than the others and I think the
> stick is much better, you may disagree, and you are entitled to your
> opinions.
>
> By the way, have you played Wave Race or Luigi's Mansion with the GC
> pad??

Yes, very much.

> Both are sublime, with perfect control and sensitivity, far exceeding
> anything i've played on the PS2 control prescision wise.

Shame about the games, eh?

> I just have a major problem with the PS2 analogue sticks as they're
> just not 'stiff' enough, and I don't feel I have complete control when
> trying to press it slightly to the left or right (but as I said, GTA3
> was perfect).

Hundreds of millions of people aren't complaining...
Fri 07/06/02 at 16:08
It's true, TBN - the analog sticks are too twitchy. I've been discovered more than once in MGS2 because the character refuses to move the way I want to in the game, or with not enough accuracy.

In addition, after prolonged use, the DualShock2 causes aching hands, whereas the GC controller does not. And no, it's not becuase of "other" activities whilst playing.
Fri 07/06/02 at 16:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yesterday I did two 2-hours endurances in a row, and my hands weren't arching at all. Cold, but not aching.
Fri 07/06/02 at 16:29
Regular
"everyone says it"
Gamecube control is a lot more comfortable inmy hands TBN. For me its the best. And anyways, Sony were shoddy and just couldn't be bothered to develop a new control for the launch of the PS2. Thats the truth.

Also, the Gamecube control is more sensitive than the PS2 one. Easily. Only yesterday I hurt its feelings.
Fri 07/06/02 at 16:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Heh, but you can't sugarcoat lies with comedy. The DualShock 2 is far more advanced than the GameCube or the Xbox controller and you know it.
Fri 07/06/02 at 16:42
"High polygon count"
er-no wrote:
> Gamecube control is a lot more comfortable inmy hands TBN.

That's perfectly fair comment.

> And anyways, Sony were shoddy and just couldn't be bothered
> to develop a new control for the launch of the PS2.

That's just nonsense, though. The DS2 is the same (a) for resons of backwards-compatibility, and (b) because if it ain't broke, you don't fix it. The fact that Nintendo have gone from the N64 design to something so closely resembling the DS2 says it all really.

> Also, the Gamecube control is more sensitive than the PS2 one. Easily.
> Only yesterday I hurt its feelings.

Okay, so which is it? You're saying that the 'cube's stick is more sensitive, and DeltaJava is saying that it's too sensitive! (Personally, I think that's a poor workman blaming his tools, but still...)
Fri 07/06/02 at 17:08
Regular
Hehe people arguing about control pads, what next? my memory card is better than yours.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.