GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You blind Ninty monkeys"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 14:53
Regular
You think you're so smart with your nice new GameCubes. Happy with them are you? I know you are, you've told us enough times. Especially "Oooh, this controller is fantastic, it's much better than all the other controllers I've used".

Bollards.

Why can't you see it's exactly the same as the DualShock 2 but with less features? Let's run through this:

· D-pad - check
· Two analog sticks - check
· Four main buttons - check
· Shoulder buttons - check
· Rumble - nope
· Full analog on ALL buttons - nope
· 4 shoulder buttons - nope
· Analog sticks as sensitive as the DualShock 2 - nope
· Ability to drop for storeys and still work perfectly - nope

Excuse me if I'm wrong but surely if it's the SAME shape with the SAME layout but with less functions, that makes it worse? Oh no, sorry, I'm missing out the facts that it's purple and made by Nintendo, that automatically makes it far superior, I'm terribly sorry.

I dare any of you to prove to me that the GameCube controller is better than the DualShock 2 - and saying that "it's more comfortable" is a cop-out.
Page:
Fri 07/06/02 at 11:52
"High polygon count"
Why can't we all just accept the we each have a personal preference?

Personally I find the Gamecube controller very comfortable, but the DualShock2 moreso.

I don't like triggers unless they're on guns. Holding a trigger at a certain place for a prolonged period gives me cramp. Even on PGR on the Xbox, I reconfigured the controls to put accelerator and brake on the buttons, a la GT3.

I find the DualShock2 marginally more comfortable than the 'cube's controller because the handles are rounded, not flat. Having large hands, this makes it more comfortable for me.

I also like the positioning of the analogue sticks on the DualShock simply because it feels symmetrical. Though I've gotten more used to the offset sticks of the Gamecube and Xbox controllers, it still feels a little unnatural and lop-sided to me.

The final preference is undoubtably the DualShock function itself. I'm not sure how many motors the Xbox controller has (probably two), but the Gamecube controller only has one, located in the centre.

DualShock's motors are more powerful than any other controller, but they can also be more subtle. They are used to excellent effect in most games, but in GT3 they are just sublime. All the little vibrations are fed back relevant to the action in the game, and you can tell exactly when a car is on the edge of it's performance. Take a right-hander to fast, and the left of the pad begins to judder slightly, giving you instant feedback vital to maintaining control.

This level of feedback simply isn't possible on the Gamecube's controller, due to its one central motor. It may be possible on the Xbox controller, but I haven't experienced it in PGR. That could be because it's more of an arcade game, it could be because the developers didn't spend as much time on the details, or it could be that the controllers size has a negating effect on the vibrations - I don't know; but it isn't there.

So I prefer the DualShock2, but it only just edges out the Gamecube controller on the basis of feedback and the size of my hands. Xbox controller, for me, is just too big and clumsy.
Fri 07/06/02 at 11:59
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Ha ha ha ha!!
This post is laughable!
You really think the PS2 pad is better ha ha ha!!

Nintendo are the control pad masters. Each of their pads has always been the best of the current systems and the Gamecube one is no different.
(Didn't Sony copy the SNES pad design for their Psone pad!?)
The only reason why control pads are the way they are today is thanks to Nintendo.
After 2 mins with the GC pad I was instantly at home with it, and I actually think it could be better than the brilliant N64 pad (although i'm not too sure about the new Z-button).

The PS2 pad is ok for beat 'em ups, but the analogue sticks are complete toss for anything else, with hardly any analogue sensitivity. And analogue buttons??!! HA, that's a joke, the harder you press the button makes no difference whatsoever.

Methinks you're a fool.
Fri 07/06/02 at 12:06
"High polygon count"
Totoro wrote:
> The PS2 pad is ok for beat 'em ups, but the analogue sticks are
> complete toss for anything else, with hardly any analogue sensitivity.
> And analogue buttons??!! HA, that's a joke, the harder you press the
> button makes no difference whatsoever.

Sounds very much to me like you haven't even used one!
Fri 07/06/02 at 12:07
"High polygon count"
RM18 wrote:
> their desighn, for the benefit of the user. They invented shoulder
> buttons, the analogue stick and rumble functions.

A common misconception. As I've said and proved before, Nintendo did not invent the analogue stick. The first machine to utilise analogue sticks was an Atari system in the 70's.
Fri 07/06/02 at 12:10
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Totoro wrote:
> complete toss for anything else, with hardly any analogue
> sensitivity.
>
> Sounds very much to me like you haven't even used one!

I have a PSone with 4 pads and a PS2 with two pads at home, so I have many years of experience with the Sony pads.
The PS2 pad is not as good as the N64 or GC one. Period.
Fri 07/06/02 at 12:14
"High polygon count"
Totoro wrote:
> The PS2 pad is not as good as the N64 or GC one. Period.

In your opinion. Mine differs. Why is that a problem?
Fri 07/06/02 at 14:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> You're missing the point. Jeans are meant to be comfortable,
> controllers are meant to play games...
>
> No, you quite clearly miss the point that part of a controllers
> function is to be comfortable for the user, hence making the game a
> more enjoyable experience, and avoiding hand cramps etc. A quality
> controller is a comfortable controller. However many snazzy buttons a
> controller has, if it doesn't fit in your hand properly, it's only
> half designed well.

No - a controller is supposed to be usable while not giving gamers hand cramps. Comfortability isn't really a factor as long as it's not uncomfortable

>
> Yup, but it's working so far
>
> If working is everyone telling you that you are incredibly wrong, then
> I agree.

Well, no-one has proved me incredibly wrong, but you too are completely missing the point of the topic. This is excellent.
Fri 07/06/02 at 14:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Totoro wrote:
> complete toss for anything else, with hardly any analogue sensitivity.

What you're so eloquently describing is a black DualShock 1. The DS2 is practically and theoretically more sensitive than the GameCube pad. Even slight nudges are registered, it's dead zone is tiny yet amazingly confined. You never get any veer.

> Methinks you're a fool.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.
Fri 07/06/02 at 14:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> In your opinion. Mine differs. Why is that a problem?

You know very well the answer to this question :-)
Fri 07/06/02 at 15:07
Regular
The PS2 controller is an expert design, for the PS1 era now it haqs been outdated. If you want the games to feel new and fresh then make that literal as well as subconsious, if i was playing a PS2 i'd see no difference between that and the PS1 controller. I am not saying Duel Shock is out of date far from it if that controller was used on the Gamecube it wouldnt be but that is because the N64's pad was different.

For a Nintendo fan a new pad even if it does resemeble the PS2 one still makes the games play different than the N64 ones. The PS2's don't... end.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.