GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Freeola Meetup @ Bridgend, Wales (21 Suicides)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/08 at 21:29
Regular
Sorry couldnt resist. =P But seriously, what the hell is going on? Why are 17 people hanging themselves in the same area? And why is the Daily Mail saying it's heavy metal and video games to blame?

Why are the police downplaying the deaths and saying they're unrelated and why are the parents keen to get rid of the media coverage? Are they worried it'll just encourage more kids to commit suicide? That's ridiculous, we all had a tough time growing up but none of us ever contemplated suicide. There's something weird going on in the South of Wales and I'm certain this mornings suicide won't be the last.

17th Suicide discovered this morning

What do the rest of you think?
Thu 10/04/08 at 09:22
"possibly impossible"
So when will the police agree a link? At 50, 100 or what number of suicides?

"Every teenager in Bridgeend has committed suicide. Police aren't linking them."
Thu 10/04/08 at 01:14
Regular
"Monochromatic"
There was a reasonably publicised failed attempt about 3 days before this. Here we go again.
Thu 10/04/08 at 01:10
Regular
Make that 18

"It follows 17 suicides in the South Wales town, although police insist they are not linked."
Thu 28/02/08 at 11:08
"Was the man of marz"
hippyman wrote:
> Actually thinking of it, Link was the name of the main character
> in that book.

Even better
Wed 27/02/08 at 18:13
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Actually thinking of it, Link was the name of the main character in that book.
Wed 27/02/08 at 17:48
"Was the man of marz"
hippyman wrote:
> I did the book "Junk" and it was all about drug abuse,
> teen pregnancy and sleeping rough/squatting. We had to put
> ourselves in that position and write about it. The only
> consequence was about half the female population of our year
> ended up pregnant (really scary). And a few people ended up
> homeless with drug addictions. I see no link at all.

The same thing happened with people in my year, yet none of us read that book, so I think we've found your link.
Wed 27/02/08 at 17:40
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Marzman wrote:
> That’s the link daily mail readers need, to fill that horrible
> gap in the day, when Jeremy Kyle is finished and Trisha Goddard
> has yet to start.

Too true!

I did the book "Junk" and it was all about drug abuse, teen pregnancy and sleeping rough/squatting. We had to put ourselves in that position and write about it. The only consequence was about half the female population of our year ended up pregnant (really scary). And a few people ended up homeless with drug addictions. I see no link at all.

The good side was seeing it as a parent and writing in a complaint letter about the book being taught. AsI didn't enjoy it I had the chance to tear the story to bits :D I think I got an A+ for just telling the truth!
Wed 27/02/08 at 17:28
"Was the man of marz"
Headteacher Steve Fowler said yesterday:
> The task was a 'spontaneous piece of writing' where children
> were asked not to turn over the page to find out what the
> letter said - but to write their own version of the suicide
> note.

So they’re putting themselves in the position of a character. Pretty standard, and I honestly don’t see how just the idea of suicide would send someone down the slippery slope of actually going through with it, I mean surely the seventeen suicides over the past year has had more of an effect (I know local people killing themselves was what really put the idea into my head).

"Noughts and Crosses is not on the curriculum for all schools - but has been used as a text by Radyr Comprehensive for two years"

That’s the link daily mail readers need, to fill that horrible gap in the day, when Jeremy Kyle is finished and Trisha Goddard has yet to start.
Wed 27/02/08 at 16:31
Regular
"cachoo"
Woops.

I wonder if the kids had a choice over whether to write the notes or not.
Wed 27/02/08 at 16:29
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I can see why the school is trying that as it's a good way of finding out which kids have been thinking about it but honestly, this sort of amatuer psychology is a really stupid thing to do, especially in a group where you cant closely monitor everyone.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.