GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Of all time!!!!?????? which is the best retro game????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/04/02 at 17:25
Regular
out of all the retro games the main 3 computer game consols are sega, nintendo and ofcourse the all mighty amiga. now out of these which do you think has had the best retro game ever made?????
Wed 16/04/03 at 08:08
Regular
"past,present&future"
Paradroid was absolute classic, and well before it's time, and as I remeber wasn't the huge commercial success it should have been.

It wasn't the most immediated game ever.
Wed 16/04/03 at 08:06
Regular
"past,present&future"
I remember LCP, (on c64), it had rave reveiws, cos on disk he actually grew and did date densitive things, on tape it was very broring, cos everytime you loaded it, it started a fresh life.

I was a heavily C64 addicted youth with over 1000 games, and a disk drive, still got it all too.
Tue 15/04/03 at 21:15
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Gin Soaked Shanks Wrote:

After all, there was a lot of crap written on past machines, which while still 'retro' titles, wouldn’t be 'classic'

Then I said:

True, but then every bit of art, be it picture or music, produced in during the Classical period wasn’t a masterpiece - just as every game produced in the 8bit era wasn’t a gem. I take my usage of the term ‘Retro’ from the same standpoint as Vorderman - from it’s usage in design to describe an emulation of a past style in modern day.

Gin Soaked Shanks also put:

Whatever the dictionary definition, the use of the word to refer to all older software titles (and machines) is common place, an accepted norm, and as such valid.

I also said:

When it comes down to it, I suppose that’s the point - whether I like it or not! That’s enough linguistic jousting however...

Games I’d add to the list would be:

Jet Set Willy
Chuckie Egg
Joust
Mappy (Arcade)
Crazy Comets and Mega Apocalypse
Paradroid
Beach Head
Hypersports, Track and Field, and any other Competition Pro wreckers that passed as Olympic simulators.
Commando
Time Pilot

That’ll do for know.

Oh, does anybody remember 'The little Computer People' - forerunner to the Sims?
Tue 15/04/03 at 19:44
Regular
"past,present&future"
I forgot Bubble Bobble Arcade.

Absolute class.

I believe it to be one of the most influential games ever, they way pick ups, power ups and secret bits are used.

Plus very simple controls which can be used in very advanced ways.

Yes!
Tue 15/04/03 at 19:35
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Hooplah wrote:
> My favourite 'Classic' game would be Elite, by the way.

That’s fair enough, in so much as a title created in a the style of a previous 'era' of gaming would be considered 'retro'. The thing is the term 'retro' has, amongst its many other uses, come to refer to older titles, 'classic' or not (After all, there was a lot of crap written on past machines, which while still 'retro' titles, wouldn’t be 'classic').

Whatever the dictionary definition, the use of the word to refer to all older software titles (and machines) is common place, an accepted norm, and as such valid.
Tue 15/04/03 at 18:38
Regular
"past,present&future"
But surely, if a game is being played on old technology, that is retro gaming.

I would consider NES / Mastersystem and older, including Home Computers, with Amiga possibly included as Retro. It was a completely different era, and peoples expectations were very different.

(Snes and Megadrive are borderline, but are a bit new and high tech).

Classic implies quality and timeless, which many of the games were, though many of the average games from that era are 'just good fun', in a completely different way to modern games.

I use the term retro in design sense, referring to a particular era, I don't think emulators or Playstation compilations cut it.
Tue 15/04/03 at 17:06
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
I've had this discussion before in this forum (somewhere), and as far as I can see the term Retro is being misused. Retro refers to a particular style of games, not the graphical/audio quality of that game. For a game to be Retro, it would have to be made now, but exhibit the style of gaming pertinent to that particular era.

For example; If the next Pro Evo footy game was a 2D, top down vertical scrolling affair, ala Kick Off or Sensible Soccer, then it would be Retro. Sensible soccer is not a Retro game - it is a classic game. Just as a Silver Ghost is a Classic car, rather than a Retro one. If RR were to make a car based on the Silver now.... I think I've laboured the point enough.

It is the use of an old style in modern day that makes something Retro. People that dress as Mods are Retro, Mods from the Late 50's are not.

So in essence, we're all discussing Classic games, and not Retro ones.

My favourite 'Classic' game would be Elite, by the way.
Tue 15/04/03 at 16:48
Regular
"past,present&future"
I would agree with GSS.

Old films are screened as classics or at repartory screenings, old books are labelled as classics.

Retro is the term applied to old games.

So what...
Tue 15/04/03 at 16:37
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Retro gaming is a foolish term. A game can exist outside of time
> contraints and still be a good game. Why would i be retro gaming when
> playing Elite? Does that mean if i watch Star Wars again I'm retro
> watching? Or if I listen to Mozart, am I retro listening? No. So what
> does the term retro gaming really mean?

Hasn’t it got something to do with advancement in the sophistication and development of the technology/concepts involved?

Movies are essentially the same now as they were in the seventies, barring digital special effects...

Computers and consoles on the other hand have evolved markedly over a very short amount of time... games that only recently were considered complex and cutting edge are quickly seen as primitive and floored?

To the same point, if I watch Harvey, or Casablanca, I would be watching a movie that was notably old, which may be the first thing anyone who notices what I’m watching would notice… It may not be called retro-movie, but to all intensive purposes that what it is.

At the very least, video games are a very different medium to music/movies or books, and therefore have their own unique references, ideologies.

It strikes me retro is a valid term for most electrical products, be it a video recorder, mobile phone or video game, and although it may not suite its immediate contemporaries (books, music, TV, etc.) it is still a valid opinion of older titles.
Tue 15/04/03 at 12:59
Regular
"past,present&future"
Boulderdash and Impossible Mission on the C64 must be up there (circa 1984).

If you though GB Tetris was retro, you should see the C64 version, 1 level of Game A type play, just continous and beautiful, speeding up very gradually.

Absolutely unique at the time. (1986 ish I think)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.