GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Of all time!!!!?????? which is the best retro game????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/04/02 at 17:25
Regular
out of all the retro games the main 3 computer game consols are sega, nintendo and ofcourse the all mighty amiga. now out of these which do you think has had the best retro game ever made?????
Wed 15/01/03 at 19:16
Regular
"'what goes here?'"
pac man was brilliant and so was space invaders but asteroids is definitely the winner as you can still play it now for over an hour and come away wanting more! true classic!!!
Wed 25/12/02 at 16:50
Regular
"I see you"
Sam & Max: Hit the Road or Day of the Tentical, i used to love playing those a few years ago.
Tue 24/12/02 at 10:38
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Retro gaming is a foolish term. A game can exist outside of time contraints and still be a good game. Why would i be retro gaming when playing Elite? Does that mean if i watch Star Wars again I'm retro watching? Or if I listen to Mozart, am I retro listening? No. So what does the term retro gaming really mean?
Tue 24/12/02 at 10:33
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Idlewild wrote:
> Could you call Super Mario World 'Retro'? Now that was a superb
> game...

I dont think theres any hard and fast rule about when a game becomes a retro title... but given that SuperMario world is what, about 10 years old now? I would have thought it fitted the bill...

I wouldnt like to hazard a guess when games stop being contemporary, and start being retro, but the MegaDrive/SNES/GameGear, etc.. should be more than comfortably under the retro umbrarella?
Tue 24/12/02 at 10:26
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Unbeliever wrote:
> No it wasn't. The Amiga was poor in making graphics and the special
> package used to create the graphics for Babylon 5 only ran on a souped
> up Amiga. (This being the Amiga 1200 which was far too expensive for
> mere schoolboys) The actual 3-D package was so big that it came on
> nearly 100 3.5" disks! I can remember a teacher of mine having to
> upgrade his Amiga with extra memory just to run the program. And then
> it took weeks just to program the model in. Yes, i suppose it had
> better graphics but would you want to wait for over 3 hours while the
> actual program loaded?

Not at all, though the Amiga 1200 was a later model Amiga made for the home market..

It was running by and large off of floppies, so loading times for games were longer than for cartridge systems, but certinaly not 3-hours... maybe 30-45 seconds (that would be for an app designed to run off of a HDD)...

I was using the modelling program as an example of how the Amigas graphics were superior to the MegaDrive/SNES... not a direct comparison to Sonic the Hedgehog :)

Unbeliever wrote:
> This being the Amiga 1200 which was far too expensive for
> mere schoolboys

The standard A500 had superior graphics to MegaDrive and SNES, in number displayable colours, screen resolutions, ability to throw images around the screen, etc...

Unbeliever wrote:
> No it wasn't. ...
> Yes, i suppose it had
> better graphics

make your mind up :)
Tue 24/12/02 at 09:20
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Idlewild wrote:
> Could you call Super Mario World 'Retro'? Now that was a superb
> game...

No. Not in any way or form. Retro to me means classics on the Speccy/C64/NES/Master System. Anything older are just great games.
Tue 24/12/02 at 09:19
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> JDXpolygon wrote:
> Even the
> 32-Bit Amiga 1200 with it's AGA only titles couldn't produce perfect
> reproductions of the same MD & SNES games.
>
> What are you talking about?
>
> The Amiga had far superiour graphic capibilities... The old standard
> example being that all the graphics for the TV programme Babylon5 were
> made using an Amiga... The Amiga was a real graphics powerhouse in its
> day.

No it wasn't. The Amiga was poor in making graphics and the special package used to create the graphics for Babylon 5 only ran on a souped up Amiga. (This being the Amiga 1200 which was far too expensive for mere schoolboys) The actual 3-D package was so big that it came on nearly 100 3.5" disks! I can remember a teacher of mine having to upgrade his Amiga with extra memory just to run the program. And then it took weeks just to program the model in. Yes, i suppose it had better graphics but would you want to wait for over 3 hours while the actual program loaded?
Tue 24/12/02 at 07:44
Regular
"Festivus!"
Could you call Super Mario World 'Retro'? Now that was a superb game...
Mon 23/12/02 at 18:45
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Asteroids.

It's still entertaining now, and you actually improve at it when you get drunk. What more could you ask for in a game that has less coding than is in Mario's left little finger?
Mon 23/12/02 at 18:42
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
JDXpolygon wrote:
> Even the
> 32-Bit Amiga 1200 with it's AGA only titles couldn't produce perfect
> reproductions of the same MD & SNES games.

What are you talking about?

The Amiga had far superiour graphic capibilities... The old standard example being that all the graphics for the TV programme Babylon5 were made using an Amiga... The Amiga was a real graphics powerhouse in its day.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.