GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HD-DVD Vs Blu-ray"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/08 at 08:04
Regular
"the Great"
So who out there has brought a hd dvd or bluray player?
Which do you think will win the war?
Which has the best movies?
Will Sony idea of putting bluray into PS3 have an impact?

as far as im concerned i think im gona wait before i purchase a player, i love to watch hd content but dont want to waste money on a machine that may soon become obsolete.

i looked at a few sales figures and in the uk and hd-dvd seems to be out selling blu-ray, but its a different story in the usa.

sony putting a bluray in ps3 seems a sensible idea, if microsoft had put hd dvd into the 360 at launch this war would proberbly not be happening as hd dvd would of had a massive head start time wise, but as standalone players come down in price the fact the ps3 has a built in player will become irrelevant. hd dvd players are cheaper at the moment with bluray costing around £100 more for the cheaper units on the market

hd-dvd is cheaper to produce but blu-ray seems to be the better technology, its is capable of storing 25gb of data on a single layer with a theoretical space for upto 8 layers, thats 200gb of storage. this has not yet been achieved but sont think it is possible, as for hd-dvd it stores 15gb per layer as is theoretically capable of holding 4 layers which is a maximum of 60gb, which is plenty for now

i would like to see blu-ray win, with its thin layers and larger capacity but not using it now, the lower storage of hd-dvd may become and issue a start a new format war so i would rather skip that and go for the better tech now, but from my past experience its not the better format that wins, its the cheaper (vhs over betamax, dvd-r over dvd+r).

so what do you people think????
Wed 16/01/08 at 13:59
"possibly impossible"
They're going to have to cut the prices anyway, otherwise people are just going to go to the internet retailers doing them for £10 less.

The shops may have more overheads, but the big names can buy in bulk and sell much cheaper than they currently do.
Tue 15/01/08 at 18:05
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
They really need to get to grips with the pricing of the movies though - near £24 for some new releases and an average price of £18 a film is just too expensive for the average person - especially when the DVD version is selling for less than £5 in some cases.

With most players also upscalling DVD's I can see many just opting for the DVD version of a lot of films - unless you've got a huge tv and an expensive enough sound system your not likely to notice any huge differences in overall quality.

I'd like to see a blu ray add-on for the 360 - just because it's likely to be cheaper than the standalone players and gives us all more choice as to which format we want to own the films on.
Tue 15/01/08 at 17:42
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I'd rather Blue :p for Labour!

I think Blu-Ray will win, although I'm backing Microsoft as Sony displease me in several ways.

But heard rumour that Microsoft will produce a Blu-Ray drive for the 360 if Blu-Ray does become the major next gen visual format.
Mon 14/01/08 at 22:09
"possibly impossible"
Garin wrote:
> hippyman wrote:
> I don't like Blu-ray - as Tony said, the spelling gives me the
> impression that a five year old designed it... wait... Sony
> (makes sense).
>
> I back HD-DVD as it is clearer on what it is (a disc with HD
> format) instead of Blu-Ray (some sort of weird blue light)
>
> You sound like the sort of people who'd vote Lavour because
> their favourite colour is red. ;)

But surely that's the best reason for voting Labour... :D

Picking sides in the HD format 'war' is inevitable but meaningless. They're both pretty much the same now featurewise and the price difference is minimal. But at the end of the day one must win. Be it the Sony or Toshiba/Microsoft backed machine, it makes little difference other than one format being adopted by all.
Mon 14/01/08 at 21:54
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
hippyman wrote:
> I don't like Blu-ray - as Tony said, the spelling gives me the
> impression that a five year old designed it... wait... Sony
> (makes sense).
>
> I back HD-DVD as it is clearer on what it is (a disc with HD
> format) instead of Blu-Ray (some sort of weird blue light)

You sound like the sort of people who'd vote Lavour because their favourite colour is red. ;)
Mon 14/01/08 at 21:06
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I don't like Blu-ray - as Tony said, the spelling gives me the impression that a five year old designed it... wait... Sony (makes sense).

I back HD-DVD as it is clearer on what it is (a disc with HD format) instead of Blu-Ray (some sort of weird blue light)
Sat 12/01/08 at 22:19
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Geffdof wrote:
> Or a Harry Hill style fight.
>
> I want Blu Ray to win because it has the better name.

I won't buy it until they spell it correctly.
Sat 12/01/08 at 22:17
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
I bought a Toshiba 1080p HD DVD Player a couple of weeks ago when they came down in price to £149.99 (with 5 free movies).

Took it home and found that my "Full HD" TV is not full HD and noticed black lines down the screen. Spent the week arguing with the maker and the retailer.

Bought The Bourne Collection in HD format. Not too impressed with the difference between HD and non HD at first glance, but things might improve when I can see it in real Full HD.

Blu-ray is for people with PS3's, and I don't have one.

Message to HD & Blu-ray contenders - get a decent DVD player out for £99.99 and you might have some chance of success.

And on a final note, it seems to me that TV and DVD makers are just starting to make quite a good job of upscaling normal TV and DVD signals to near-HD quality!
Sat 12/01/08 at 21:40
Regular
Blu Ray FTW!
Sat 12/01/08 at 15:59
Regular
"lets go back"
Or a Harry Hill style fight.

I want Blu Ray to win because it has the better name.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.