GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HD-DVD Vs Blu-ray"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/08 at 08:04
Regular
"the Great"
So who out there has brought a hd dvd or bluray player?
Which do you think will win the war?
Which has the best movies?
Will Sony idea of putting bluray into PS3 have an impact?

as far as im concerned i think im gona wait before i purchase a player, i love to watch hd content but dont want to waste money on a machine that may soon become obsolete.

i looked at a few sales figures and in the uk and hd-dvd seems to be out selling blu-ray, but its a different story in the usa.

sony putting a bluray in ps3 seems a sensible idea, if microsoft had put hd dvd into the 360 at launch this war would proberbly not be happening as hd dvd would of had a massive head start time wise, but as standalone players come down in price the fact the ps3 has a built in player will become irrelevant. hd dvd players are cheaper at the moment with bluray costing around £100 more for the cheaper units on the market

hd-dvd is cheaper to produce but blu-ray seems to be the better technology, its is capable of storing 25gb of data on a single layer with a theoretical space for upto 8 layers, thats 200gb of storage. this has not yet been achieved but sont think it is possible, as for hd-dvd it stores 15gb per layer as is theoretically capable of holding 4 layers which is a maximum of 60gb, which is plenty for now

i would like to see blu-ray win, with its thin layers and larger capacity but not using it now, the lower storage of hd-dvd may become and issue a start a new format war so i would rather skip that and go for the better tech now, but from my past experience its not the better format that wins, its the cheaper (vhs over betamax, dvd-r over dvd+r).

so what do you people think????
Wed 20/02/08 at 11:12
"possibly impossible"
Well Planet Earth is amazing on Blu-ray, worth buying. I convinced a mate to get a PS3, so I can always watch Blu-ray in HD around his house.

If HD-DVDs do come down in price drastically, then, yes, I will snap them up. I didn't pay much for my drive anyway as I mostly traded in stuff towards it. But it still plays and at the moment it's the only one on an HD display I have so I tend to watch more HDDVDs anyway. Transformers is excellent.

My tip, join ipoints and send off for all the 3 for £1 magazines (yes, even the women's ones), that will get you enough points for a couple of free HD or Blu-ray discs. I've managed to get about 8 of my discs off them so far, including Close Encounters 3 disc Blu-ray, Transformers, Spider-man 3 and others.
Tue 19/02/08 at 21:45
Regular
I'm very pleased about this :) Though I really think the online stores and shops should help inform customers. So pb are you going to try and pick up as many HD-DVD bargins are you can? Let me know when they start giving away free blu-ray discs in the paper :D especially Attenborough programs.
Tue 19/02/08 at 21:30
"possibly impossible"
Universal's reply on the situation:

"The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear," stated Craig Kornblau, President, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Universal Pictures Digital Platforms.

"Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for hi-def's unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate. While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray."
Tue 19/02/08 at 14:36
"possibly impossible"
CliffBird wrote:
> Of course, the next biggest question is: when do Paramount and
> Universal start releasing Blu-rays and will they start by
> providing Blu-ray versions of their HD-DVD catalogue?
>
> Personally I hope that they can't release anything until their 1
> year HD-DVD contract is over. It serves them right for accepting
> 50 million dollars from Microsoft to be exclusive to HD-DVD.
>

But then allegedly Warner probably got paid for exclusively backing Blu-ray...

Anyway, with the new Indy film out this year, they need to get something sorted to release a nice box set on Blu-ray. If the companies weren't allowed to release anything then it would be the consumer that suffers.
Tue 19/02/08 at 10:56
Regular
"Soul Calibur RULES!"
> Of course, the next biggest question is: when do Paramount and
> Universal start releasing Blu-rays and will they start by
> providing Blu-ray versions of their HD-DVD catalogue?

Personally I hope that they can't release anything until their 1 year HD-DVD contract is over. It serves them right for accepting 50 million dollars from Microsoft to be exclusive to HD-DVD.

They should have stayed faithful to the consumer, not just try to make a quick buck!!! (Well quite a few buck's but that's not the point)

I'm glad Blu-Ray won, It's a much better format. (Plus I have a PS3)
Tue 19/02/08 at 08:44
"possibly impossible"
It's not over till it's over...

...no, wait, it's over!

Of course, the next biggest question is: when do Paramount and Universal start releasing Blu-rays and will they start by providing Blu-ray versions of their HD-DVD catalogue?
Mon 18/02/08 at 18:44
Regular
"not dead"
"The movie, 300 is selling for £17.98 on Blu-ray, £19.98 on HD-DVD. They're placed #595 for Blu-ray and #3,938 for HD-DVD."

Christ on a bike, I paid £3.97 for a DVD copy of the movie. It looked great.

At least Blu Ray is backwards compatible, won't have to re-buy any movies when the inevitable happens. I'll definitely wait until movies and indeed the players themselves, come down to bargain prices.
Mon 18/02/08 at 00:55
"possibly impossible"
Oh, any more info, try reading this.
Mon 18/02/08 at 00:54
"possibly impossible"
It's all about the resolution.

HD ready can show a basic HD signal (1,366x768 or 720p maximum) it will display an input of 1080i, but it will downscale it to fit the resolution.

Full HD, which most new larger sets come with now, is 1,920x1,080, or 1080i/1080p

What does this mean? Well, not a lot if you have a 32" TV or less, though it's possible to tell the difference in a 32" given a really good 1080p signal. Anything larger than this and Full HD really comes into it's own.

Saying that, you need a Blu-ray or HD player to really use it, most games aren't in 1080p yet. So don't worry too much if you only have an HD Ready TV, you're still going to get a good picture, but if you're buying something new, go for Full HD if you can.

Freeview doesn't have HD yet, but that could change in a year. Sky HD is the only way to get live HD TV.
Sun 17/02/08 at 20:14
Regular
I'm not sure but hopefully pb can tell us the difference.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.