GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HD-DVD Vs Blu-ray"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/08 at 08:04
Regular
"the Great"
So who out there has brought a hd dvd or bluray player?
Which do you think will win the war?
Which has the best movies?
Will Sony idea of putting bluray into PS3 have an impact?

as far as im concerned i think im gona wait before i purchase a player, i love to watch hd content but dont want to waste money on a machine that may soon become obsolete.

i looked at a few sales figures and in the uk and hd-dvd seems to be out selling blu-ray, but its a different story in the usa.

sony putting a bluray in ps3 seems a sensible idea, if microsoft had put hd dvd into the 360 at launch this war would proberbly not be happening as hd dvd would of had a massive head start time wise, but as standalone players come down in price the fact the ps3 has a built in player will become irrelevant. hd dvd players are cheaper at the moment with bluray costing around £100 more for the cheaper units on the market

hd-dvd is cheaper to produce but blu-ray seems to be the better technology, its is capable of storing 25gb of data on a single layer with a theoretical space for upto 8 layers, thats 200gb of storage. this has not yet been achieved but sont think it is possible, as for hd-dvd it stores 15gb per layer as is theoretically capable of holding 4 layers which is a maximum of 60gb, which is plenty for now

i would like to see blu-ray win, with its thin layers and larger capacity but not using it now, the lower storage of hd-dvd may become and issue a start a new format war so i would rather skip that and go for the better tech now, but from my past experience its not the better format that wins, its the cheaper (vhs over betamax, dvd-r over dvd+r).

so what do you people think????
Sun 06/01/08 at 21:32
Regular
"the Great"
heres a link to some interesting figures

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/
Sun 06/01/08 at 20:38
Regular
(continued from previous post, so go read that first)

Now lets compare on Amazon US!

Blu-Ray has 9 DVDs selling better than the top HD-DVD.

Planet Earth : Complete BBC Series

Blu-Ray
Ranking* : 20 (#7 Top Seller)
Price : $66.95
# Reviews : 263

HD-DVD
Ranking* : 27 (#1 Top Seller)
Price : $66.95
# Reviews : 282

* - In DVD category

Looking at all these figures what have we learnt? If anything we've learnt that Planet Earth is definitely something you want to own when you go high definition. It's gotten great reviews.

-----

EDIT:

I kept thinking to myself just now why so many Harry Potter DVDs were top sellers on Blu-Ray (Amazon US). Stupid Machie! This Warner announcement has made a big difference. Not only is the HD-DVD forum on Amazon filling with threads like "R.I.P HD DVD", "Warner's decision: What are people doing? I'm returning my hd-dvd player...." but no Harry Potter fan is going to buy/keep the HD-DVD versions when the rest of the series is going to be Blu-Ray only.

Looking on eBay US/UK the HD-DVDs are selling in higher numbers and a lot cheaper.
Sun 06/01/08 at 20:27
Regular
I'm concerned about buying DVDs, both normal and HD. I worry if I'm to ever spend a few hundred pounds or even over a thousand (I'm sure some of you have already) on a collection that in say 10+ years it'll end up like my brothers VHS collection. In some landfill near here.

Right now people dont know which format to go for. They're also not picking up DVDs because they feel it might be a waste (and so should save their money) when they could get a HD version, so everyone is playing the waiting game.

Warner going blu-ray kinda tips the balance now, I've already read some blogs of people selling their HD players (to minimise loss) and even returning ones they received last Christmas for a Blu-ray player.

A quick glance on Amazon.co.uk's Top Sellers list, shows 5 Blu-ray DVDs selling better than the top HD-DVD.

Lets compare!

Planet Earth : Complete BBC Series
(Apparently it's a great series, anyone own it yet?)

Blu-Ray
Ranking* : 356 (#3 Top Seller)
Price : £39.98
# Reviews : 22

HD-DVD
Ranking* : 696 (#2 Top Seller)
Price : £37.98
# Reviews : 5

* - In DVD category
Sun 06/01/08 at 19:38
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Interesting, but far from conclusive. And are you seriously telling me that a PS3 console without Blu Ray, retailing for £150 less wouldn't have sold as well?

EDIT:

A little digging tells me that Warner only switched after being offered something in the region of $500m for supporting Blu Ray. They're not the first to accept a bribe to go one way or the other from what I remember, and they won't be the last.
Sun 06/01/08 at 17:24
"possibly impossible"
Vexxxed wrote:
> Blu-Ray
> for the win!

Humph! You could have just linked to my post in the Movies forum...

:D

Oh and launching the PS3 with Blu-ray was a well thought out strategy which looks as if it has encouraged Blu-ray as the dominant High-def platform now Warner is Blu-ray only which will, in turn, sell more PS3 consoles.

Yes, at first some might be sold as Blu-ray players (though the standalone players are coming down in price to match the PS3) but there's more chance the owners will start to think about buying software as well. Besides, 2008 is looking good for PS3 games.

HD-DVD is a good format, but some of the discs are more expensive and there aren't as many top titles. Then again, maybe there is room for both formats to exist side by side. The downside to this is the confusion for the average household in taking up a High-def format and until there is a clearer way of your granny/Parents to firstly realise what High Def is then be able to go and purchase a simple solution, it just won't happen.
Sun 06/01/08 at 16:40
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Sun 06/01/08 at 14:40
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Oh dear...
Sun 06/01/08 at 13:04
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Sony's decision to include Blu-Ray with the PS3 is one of the biggest exercises in self-foot-shooting in gaming history. The average PS3 buyer doesn't care that it's a gaming machine, or an internet device. It's simply the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market. So the sales figures for PS3 are misleading. Only when you look at the software penetration do you get the full picture. It's just like the PSP (except that that actually sells quite well), in that people are buying it as a media device instead of a games machine. Hence third party support will soon begin to dwindle and wither.

In addition, I have to wonder if PS3s are being sold at a loss, given their spec, otherwise they wouldn't be the cheapest Blu Ray player on the market?

When you also factor in the huge potential lost sales from people not wanting to commit themselves to a next gen platform while there are still two competing formats, suddenly Xbox360 and Wii look mighty attractive. I'm not sure if inclusion of Blu Ray was arrogant, or just sheer folly. Either way it was a strategic mistake on Sony's part, one of many in recent years.

Sony is on the verge of crisis. Their games division continues to drag the rest of the corporation behind its true position, and following a multi billion yen re-structure in recent years, they're still having problems, as evidenced by the recent announcement to scrap rear projection TVs.

For these things and more, HD-DVD is the only viable choice for next gen media and entertainment. So it's not as big as Blu-Ray. Whoop de do. It's cheaper to produce, and for most people, and most corporations with an ounce of care for their shareholders, that's the absolute clincher. See, there's a cap to how much anyone will buy a movie for home viewing, so your HD-DVDs and your Blu-Ray discs are going to retail at more or less the same price, but if HD-DVD cost less to produce, who's making more profit? There is also the scenario where the savings get passed on to the consumer, but that's a couple of years down the line after the whole market skimming phase is over and the market matures a little more.

For data storage purposes, I doubt it'll ever be much of an issue. Hybrid PC drives that can burn to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will eventually hit the market. But whose likely to care? With an external re-writable hard drive the size of your thumb that can hold 200-1000GB, why would you even consider holding your data on a disc that theoretically manages a paltry 100GB or so?

Personally, I'm rooting for HD-DVD, but it's not like I get excited about these things. But certainly I'll wait until the situation is resolved one way or another before committing any of my own money into the next generation of video playback. As are a great many others.
Sun 06/01/08 at 08:04
Regular
"the Great"
So who out there has brought a hd dvd or bluray player?
Which do you think will win the war?
Which has the best movies?
Will Sony idea of putting bluray into PS3 have an impact?

as far as im concerned i think im gona wait before i purchase a player, i love to watch hd content but dont want to waste money on a machine that may soon become obsolete.

i looked at a few sales figures and in the uk and hd-dvd seems to be out selling blu-ray, but its a different story in the usa.

sony putting a bluray in ps3 seems a sensible idea, if microsoft had put hd dvd into the 360 at launch this war would proberbly not be happening as hd dvd would of had a massive head start time wise, but as standalone players come down in price the fact the ps3 has a built in player will become irrelevant. hd dvd players are cheaper at the moment with bluray costing around £100 more for the cheaper units on the market

hd-dvd is cheaper to produce but blu-ray seems to be the better technology, its is capable of storing 25gb of data on a single layer with a theoretical space for upto 8 layers, thats 200gb of storage. this has not yet been achieved but sont think it is possible, as for hd-dvd it stores 15gb per layer as is theoretically capable of holding 4 layers which is a maximum of 60gb, which is plenty for now

i would like to see blu-ray win, with its thin layers and larger capacity but not using it now, the lower storage of hd-dvd may become and issue a start a new format war so i would rather skip that and go for the better tech now, but from my past experience its not the better format that wins, its the cheaper (vhs over betamax, dvd-r over dvd+r).

so what do you people think????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.