GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HD-DVD Vs Blu-ray"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/08 at 08:04
Regular
"the Great"
So who out there has brought a hd dvd or bluray player?
Which do you think will win the war?
Which has the best movies?
Will Sony idea of putting bluray into PS3 have an impact?

as far as im concerned i think im gona wait before i purchase a player, i love to watch hd content but dont want to waste money on a machine that may soon become obsolete.

i looked at a few sales figures and in the uk and hd-dvd seems to be out selling blu-ray, but its a different story in the usa.

sony putting a bluray in ps3 seems a sensible idea, if microsoft had put hd dvd into the 360 at launch this war would proberbly not be happening as hd dvd would of had a massive head start time wise, but as standalone players come down in price the fact the ps3 has a built in player will become irrelevant. hd dvd players are cheaper at the moment with bluray costing around £100 more for the cheaper units on the market

hd-dvd is cheaper to produce but blu-ray seems to be the better technology, its is capable of storing 25gb of data on a single layer with a theoretical space for upto 8 layers, thats 200gb of storage. this has not yet been achieved but sont think it is possible, as for hd-dvd it stores 15gb per layer as is theoretically capable of holding 4 layers which is a maximum of 60gb, which is plenty for now

i would like to see blu-ray win, with its thin layers and larger capacity but not using it now, the lower storage of hd-dvd may become and issue a start a new format war so i would rather skip that and go for the better tech now, but from my past experience its not the better format that wins, its the cheaper (vhs over betamax, dvd-r over dvd+r).

so what do you people think????
Wed 09/01/08 at 18:18
Regular
Blu-ray possible on Xbox 360

"Until Toshiba goes out of business, this war is not over."

God I hope not, I think there's a lot of people who just want it over with.

I'm curious, I dont know much about the 360 but would it be possible to have a third party blu-ray player for the 360 anyway?
Wed 09/01/08 at 18:04
Regular
Ah I thought so, so what's next? Apple offering Macs with blu-ray surely that'll end the war wouldnt it? Do you think it'll end within the year Garin?

I read another article, I think it was someone from Samsung, he said something along the lines of Blu-ray winning the war but HD-DVD should focus on the home PC market. What does he mean? That we should watch movies on Blu-ray and replace our DVDs Writers with HD-DVD Writers? Do you think that's a possibility for them? I can't see that happening because I like to burn things off my computer so I can watch them on my TV.
Wed 09/01/08 at 17:50
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> I know Blockbusters are Blu-ray only but I thought Wal-Mart went
> with HD-DVD so I'm not sure what their plan is now.

It was all rumour and speculation, Wal-Mart were never with anybody. They were selling a Toshiba second gen HD-DVD player sub $200 before christmas but thats about it.
Wed 09/01/08 at 17:38
Regular
Apparently Paramount has "denied" that they're about to change sides but I should say that it wasnt really a denial. More of a "at the moment our current plan is to back HD-DVD" rather than a "we're never ever going to switch to Blu-ray because we're fully commited to HD-DVD". It should also be noted that Warner just a few weeks ago made a similiar denial about going Blu-ray only.

I've been following things closely. More HD-DVD titles and players are being listed on ebay. Amazon HD-DVD top sellers are going further down the list. It's really not looking good for HD-DVD.

I know Blockbusters are Blu-ray only but I thought Wal-Mart went with HD-DVD so I'm not sure what their plan is now.
Wed 09/01/08 at 16:32
"possibly impossible"
er..yes, you can play DVDs with a Blu-ray player. Most (if not all) will actually upscale your DVDs too, which means they'll look even better than before on a HD-TV.
Wed 09/01/08 at 15:45
Regular
"eat toast!"
Looks like blu ray has the upper hand. A few more years and hd dvd is a goner. Role on the blu ray. But will that mean that i won't be able to play dvds with my blur ray player? I mean the dvd could play cds.

A shame if it can't. Lots of money to who ever can solve it.
Wed 09/01/08 at 13:29
"possibly impossible"
So it seems Paramount had a get-out clause if Warner decided to go Blu-ray only. A bit odd, but ok.

In a way it will be painful for anyone who's just paid for a player and for Microsoft (though they could always bring out a standalone Blu-ray player and do a deal for HD-DVD drive owners, I guess), but hopefully this will just kill the multi-format confusion dead and people will actually start buying the players (or PS3s).
Tue 08/01/08 at 14:54
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
The Blu-Ray associations response has been somewhat low key so far. It wouldnt surprise me if some sort of deal doesnt emerge.
Tue 08/01/08 at 12:19
Regular
Sun 06/01/08 at 22:37
"possibly impossible"
Everpain wrote:
> Interesting, but far from conclusive. And are you seriously
> telling me that a PS3 console without Blu Ray, retailing for
> £150 less wouldn't have sold as well?
>

I don't believe it would have, give Sony's lacklustre first half in software releases. It's all speculation, mind you, but I also think the 360 would have done even better if they'd also brought out a model at launch with a built in HD-DVD player. In fact, there are rumours that this is what they're planning for the forthcoming year.

> EDIT:
>
> A little digging tells me that Warner only switched after being
> offered something in the region of $500m for supporting Blu Ray.
> They're not the first to accept a bribe to go one way or the
> other from what I remember, and they won't be the last.

Yep, The last big news of Paramount/Dreamworks signing a HD-DVD exclusive came with a pretty hefty offer from the Toshiba/Microsoft camp. Not surprised, these sales are big business and would win or lose far more money in the long run.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.