GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HD-DVD Vs Blu-ray"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/08 at 08:04
Regular
"the Great"
So who out there has brought a hd dvd or bluray player?
Which do you think will win the war?
Which has the best movies?
Will Sony idea of putting bluray into PS3 have an impact?

as far as im concerned i think im gona wait before i purchase a player, i love to watch hd content but dont want to waste money on a machine that may soon become obsolete.

i looked at a few sales figures and in the uk and hd-dvd seems to be out selling blu-ray, but its a different story in the usa.

sony putting a bluray in ps3 seems a sensible idea, if microsoft had put hd dvd into the 360 at launch this war would proberbly not be happening as hd dvd would of had a massive head start time wise, but as standalone players come down in price the fact the ps3 has a built in player will become irrelevant. hd dvd players are cheaper at the moment with bluray costing around £100 more for the cheaper units on the market

hd-dvd is cheaper to produce but blu-ray seems to be the better technology, its is capable of storing 25gb of data on a single layer with a theoretical space for upto 8 layers, thats 200gb of storage. this has not yet been achieved but sont think it is possible, as for hd-dvd it stores 15gb per layer as is theoretically capable of holding 4 layers which is a maximum of 60gb, which is plenty for now

i would like to see blu-ray win, with its thin layers and larger capacity but not using it now, the lower storage of hd-dvd may become and issue a start a new format war so i would rather skip that and go for the better tech now, but from my past experience its not the better format that wins, its the cheaper (vhs over betamax, dvd-r over dvd+r).

so what do you people think????
Fri 15/02/08 at 18:14
Regular
Wal-Mart to officially discontinue HD DVD sales by June

This coffin is going to be full of nails at this rate.
Fri 15/02/08 at 18:13
Regular
"Monochromatic"
DVD's are 7GB capacity i think. Blu-Ray is around 50GB.
The format war is over but for the majority of people i dont think it matters. It's only the technophiles and rich who have upgraded to HD-TV's and Blu-Ray. Everyone else is perfectly happy with DVD's. My TV is dying but I wont be upgrading until this two-tier system is gone. By that i mean ordinary vs HD. Once ordinary tv's dissappear from the shops, the price of HD will fall in a big way. That should start around the end of 2009 when the analogue systems start switching off.
As for downloading huge ammounts, bandwidth will start moving towards 50MB at the end of the year, although it'll probably be the end of 2009 again before it's available to the masses.
Fri 15/02/08 at 17:36
Regular
Are you waiting to get a deal on a HD TV pb?

Yeah it's going to be quite a few more years before we can download our movies. I mean how big is a DVD? 4GBs? That would take me atleast a week to download and even then my ISP would punish me greatly for it. I have no idea how big a Blu-ray movie would be to download.

I'd be more than happy to go to a vending machine, Tescos or WHSmith with some kind of flash card and download my movies that way. Then plug it into my PC, TV or HDD player and I'll be quite happy. I've experienced this already when going to a kiosk with a flash card and printing some digital photos. :)
Fri 15/02/08 at 16:27
"possibly impossible"
Also, there are those people still talking about HD Downloads being the real new format.

It's just not going to happen. For a format to have really been successful you need general consumer sales. Unless someone comes up with an affordable mass storage solution with really easy acess to downloads and failsafe ability to keep them once they've bought them, then downloading will still be in the hands of the PC owners and more technical among us. Anyway, I'll ramble more in the correct forum, don't want to make this post overly long!
Fri 15/02/08 at 16:17
"possibly impossible"
Yes, Ghibli on Blu-ray. mmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe I won't keep collecting them all now until they start coming out on High Def.

Just got Transformers on HDDVD, so that's 9 HDs and 12 Blu-rays I've got now (and I've had to pay for 4 of them in total, the rest were either free or in deals or from ipoints).

Got that 5 Disc Blade Runner set on Blu-ray too.

All this without having an HD TV at the moment (though I can watch HDDVDs on my monitor in High Def)
Fri 15/02/08 at 14:37
Regular
Just found out ADV Films and Manga Ent went Blu-ray exclusive 11 days ago, so yeah that's the final nail in the coffin. Though I'm not sure if there will be much difference with TV animes, I'm sure Ghibli films would look real nice.
Fri 15/02/08 at 09:06
Regular
The real reason Blu-ray is winning the format war is because it's easier to say. 2 syllables verses 5 syllables.

:)

Toshiba gearing up to drop HD DVD?
Thu 14/02/08 at 00:57
Regular
"Soul Calibur RULES!"
I think there's another reason why Blu-Ray is winning over HD DVD, look at the packaging and the product. The Blu-Ray box looks nice with a nice shade of blue and a nice new name Blu-Ray, the other is a nasty redish brownish colour and has the most boring name of HD DVD!!! Not only this but if you look at the actual disc the Blu-Ray disc is blue and the HD DVD disc is a normal disc colour but the disc looks warped! It has wavy rings on the disc, when I first saw one I though someone had left it on top of the fire place for too long.
Wed 13/02/08 at 09:27
"possibly impossible"
Best Buy are only keeping HD-DVD until March, then phasing it out, according to the news report. Not sure who's right.

The HD-DVD camp will keep fighting to the end, there's still a lot of money tied up in those deals. The end will come when Universal make a decision I suspect.

And that whole quality issue is stupid, they both show the film in the same format with similar audio, though Blu-ray has more space for uncompressed sound or more extras should they decide to use it. The current advantage of HD-DVD is the extra things they can do such as picture-in-picture, which the earlier Blu-ray players can't do. But then most of the new ones on the market are appearing with these features and the PS3 has continuing updates to provide the newest Blu-ray format.

HD-DVD was the most organised at launch, but just doesn't have the backing it needs. I'm keeping my HD-DVD drive, even if they stop selling HD-DVDs. Hopefully the discs will get a lot cheaper as companies try to sell their stock.
Tue 12/02/08 at 21:06
Regular
Our town is so small I never noticed. DVDs seem to keep getting cheaper, though every time I'm in Cheltenham all the animes are still really really expensive. When can I pick up Tales From Earthsea for £4 :/

Oh and here's HD-DVD response to the news yesterday.

"We have long held the belief that HD DVD is the best format for consumers based on quality and value, and with more than 1 million HD DVD players on the market, it's unfortunate to see Netflix make the decision to only stock Blu-ray titles going forward. While the Best Buy announcement says they will recommend Blu-ray, at least they will continue to carry HD DVD and offer consumers a choice at retail."

What do you think? It must be getting difficult to keep making these kind of statements. 1 milllion HD DVD players? But aren't there over 3.3million PS3s in America now?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.