GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 2008 Formula 1 Season"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/01/08 at 15:11
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
This is a place where I basically say what I want about the Formula 1 season.

My (ultra long) preview to the new season has been posted.

Formula 1.com Launches Page

Click Here

Ferrari

New Car

McLaren

New Car

Toyota

New Car

BMW

New Car

Red Bull

New Car

Williams

New Car

Renault

New Car

Honda

New Car

Force India

New Car

Toro Rosso are only releasing a revision of their 2007 car with the new chassis coming after a few races.
Tue 09/09/08 at 15:56
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I've seen the onboard footage. Hamilton was reeling Raikkonen in heading into the Bus Stop. Raikkonen broke really early and Hamilton did well to avoid hitting him so went round the outside. I can't see how anyone expects Hamilton, who was in front of Raikkonen for a brief period, to lift off and let Raikkonen take the line, which was tighter than you would normally take.

Hamilton has two choices, stick to his line and take Raikkonen out or avoid a collision. He avoided a collision. Raikkonen went past Hamilton down the straight, swept across Hamilton and then broke early again. Hamilton was later on the brakes and easily took the place. Hamilton never moved behind Raikkonen. Raikkonen moved in front of him.

The last time I checked, this was motor RACING. These are racing drivers having to make split second decisions. The argument that the stewards used was that Hamilton gained a advantage. Yeah, he gained an advantage in that both cars were still intact. The penalty is ridiculous. 25 seconds (effectively a drive through) is beyond crazy.

Again, this is only my theory from the onboard footage I've seen. Make your own judgements.

Onboard footage

Oh yeah, as for the stewards thing, I believe there is supposed to be 1 the same or they were thinking of 1 the same. From what I've read, there are 3 different stewards for the Italian Grand Prix and the previous 3 stewards have been uncontactable since the Belgian Grand Prix.
Tue 09/09/08 at 15:21
"Was the man of marz"
El Viking wrote:
> The telemetry shows a drop in speed, what has to be acknowledged
> is that the McLaren was doing better in the conditions, seeing
> how Hamilton chased down Kimi. I don't think there should be one,
> but it's not as if I can hold out much hope with the FIA...

Haven’t the stewards been the same all year (as I thought this was brought in a little while back to improve consistency with these types of decisions). This is my grievance, that discretion was shown with Massa in Valencia, yet the rules seemed to have been applied firmly in Hamilton’s case.

Grandprix, the following isn’t a personal attack, just questioning towards the general consensus over the Raiko-Hami incident (and just for the record I am not an Alonso or Ferrari fan):

Hamilton was faster into the bus stop chicane because Kimi at this point was keeping off the curbs, when Lewis wasn’t. Räikkönen moved to take the racing line, which at this point was tighter than usual, because he had Hamilton outside him. If you watch Hekki’s attempted move on Glock, then the contact with Webber, you will see the difference this makes. Lewis could have relented, but decided to cut the track.

Now Lewis claims that he lifted. If you listen to the McLaren statement afterwards, all they mentioned was that Kimi was 6kmp/h (4mph) faster as they crossed the start line. Well of course he would be, by sticking to the circuit he had a longer run to the line, whilst Lewis by not slowing down to the extent of Räikkönen had gained an advantage.

Into La Source Räikkönen with Lewis having gone behind then around (which’s where Hamiltons preposed lift most likely happened), Kimi tried to defend then swepted out wide, which is why I find it hard to understand Niki Lauda’s reasoning that he was outbreaked as taking a wider line into a hairpin is a well rehearsed way to come back an at opponent. That’s what indeed happened, resulting in a touch between the two.

Letting a car back through is an etiquette thing, rather than a written rule. Not doing so assures a penalty (as Lewis already knew from his incident with Vettel in france). Inevitably Lewis has himself to blame, as after Fuji last year his comments on the Chinese grand prix weekend, when the new video of the crash involving Vettel and Webber emerged did not help his relationship with race officials. Saying you’re probably going to receive a penalty, adding a hint of emotional blackmail by stating that you don’t want to continue in F1 if this is so, probably isn’t a very good idea.
Mon 08/09/08 at 11:19
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
If there is a penalty, it should be taken down to 10 seconds, owing to the fact the leaders were so far in front at the time. The telemetry shows a drop in speed, what has to be acknowledged is that the McLaren was doing better in the conditions, seeing how Hamilton chased down Kimi. I don't think there should be one, but it's not as if I can hold out much hope with the FIA...

But a great race nonetheless, I was impressed by Heidfeld's manoevering at the end. He had nothing to lose, and ended up a deserving third (And after some nonsense, second.)
Sun 07/09/08 at 22:13
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Okay, first up, good race. McLaren were hoping Hamilton would run and hide but Hamilton just got caught out by the conditions early. Raikkonen certainly had the edge on the softer tyre and was brilliant in the middle sector.

The hard tyre favoured McLaren and Hamilton made that 6 second gap back. The rain came again and everything went crazy. Heidfeld and his team made the right call to switch to the inters, Alonso and Renault made the decision a lap too late and that probably cost them what was then 3rd place.

Kovalainen's drive through was deserved. It wasn't even an attempt at a move. At least Webber got a point but it was at Glock's expense for overtaking in a yellow flag zone.

The Hamilton penalty is the bone of contention. I feel it's getting to the territory of stopping drivers making moves. From the many angles I've seen, Hamilton was better on the brakes, as his overtaking move on Raikkonen at La Source showed. It's a legitimate attempt to pass around the outside, if a little optimistic. Raikkonen did seem to move across to the inside and block Hamilton out.

There is nothing wrong with squeezing drivers but eventually you have to give them room. Hamilton looked to be at least side by side and Hamilton avoided a certain collision if he tried to take the corner because Raikkonen wouldn't have moved to give him room from that position.

I suppose the debate is all about gaining an advantage and how far do you have to drop back. The telemetry could be very important in this case. There have been cases of drive throughs for cutting chicanes but all the cases I can recall have been huge advantages. I've seen drivers let a car back through and avoid the penalty. I've seen drivers cut chicanes, get an advantage and not get penalties.

McLaren have appealed so it goes to the courts. I've read a lot of responses to the penalty and 90% at least have been totally baffled by the penalty. Some think the penalty is unjust, some believe that the penalty should be for the next race or something around 10 seconds instead of 25. Only those in support of the penalty have been Spaniards who hate Hamilton and staunch Ferrari supporters, although I've seen a lot of Ferrari fans appalled by the decision of the stewards.
Sat 06/09/08 at 07:53
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
And if the weather has anything to do with it, potentially manic.

Also, I quite like the look of the plans for Donington Park prior to it becoming the new venue for the British Grand Prix. I've only seen a couple of Renault World Series meetings there, but the infield extension looks promising from the spectator's viewpoint at least; from behind where the current pits are, you'll get an even better view. All they need to do now is sort out the utterly shambolic traffic arrangements...
Fri 05/09/08 at 16:34
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Belgium, my favourite race of the year. I hope it's a good one.
Tue 26/08/08 at 12:41
Regular
What a dull race.
Mon 25/08/08 at 14:26
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Everything went pretty normally in terms of teams at the front in the end although Raikkonen had a bit of a nightmare.

Releasing the car unsafely in the pitlane has usually resulted in a fine so I'm not surprised to see Ferrari get a fine. The one thing I am annoyed at is the audacity of Massa to say that it was Sutil's fault. The last time I checked, Sutil had right of way, seeing as he going down the pitlane normally.
Fri 22/08/08 at 16:46
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I think there is a fair amount of playing around going on seeing as it is a new track. Tomorrow we will see what is what.
Fri 22/08/08 at 16:34
Regular
Kimi quickest at end of practice 2. Lewis 5th, but only 2/10s down. Could have been playing around with fuel loads?

Alonso in 2nd, but on the soft tyres - possibily just a bit of a publicity run as it's his home race?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.