GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows 10; upgrades, problems, solutions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/08/15 at 09:30
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Given that the new operating system from Microsoft seems to be quite a popular topic at the moment, it's probably worth sharing any knowledge we have as we all install and "road test".

So, tell us if you've been successful, what you think of it, or alternatively if you've encountered problems both installing and following the install.

If you have come across any fixes or workarounds, tell us about those too.
Mon 10/08/15 at 13:54
"possibly impossible"
It needed 5.4GB of space. I didn't do a fresh install because some people have had issues with that, I just ran the upgrade. Hasn't given me any more space in the process but I would imagine a fresh install would.
Mon 10/08/15 at 12:52
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
My Linx 8 finally got the update yesterday (I wasn't going to chance using the standard Windows 10 USB install for a tablet) and all went well with the upgrade, so now I have my PC, 2 laptops (one my daughter's) and a tablet all on Windows 10. At least that's something that I managed to achieve last week!

Just out of interest, if you do a system cleanup on your tablet and remove the old operating system files, does it leave you with a huge lump of extra space over what you had pre-upgrade?

As I said, mine seems to have saved me around 13 Gb, so I'd bee interested to hear if that's a general thing; is Windows 10 for tablets really that small?
Mon 10/08/15 at 09:30
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]

1) giving all of your devices a unique log in and account.
2) Not using a Microsoft log in (I believe it's referred to as signing in with a "local account")
3) Simply telling the devices not to sync (just set "Sync Settings" to Off).

Such a condescending remark ...

Option 2 is the 'flaw'.

I don't have devices to 'sync', I don't want devices that 'sync', I want my pc to be my pc and I don't need to go through a MS login to then get a 'secure code' sent to my phone to then access something that's already mine! Total pants.

If I'd wanted a pc to run my fridge aswell ... I would have asked for it;¬)[/i]

Not entirely sure where my reply was "condescending", but there you go...

With option 2 (using a local account), you don't need to get a code from Microsoft, you don't need (and in fact wouldn't be connected to) an xBox live account, you won't sync anything at all, your pc will operate pretty much as it did under Windows 7 or previous.

Just thought one of those options would cover your needs...
Mon 10/08/15 at 08:09
"possibly impossible"
My Linx 8 finally got the update yesterday (I wasn't going to chance using the standard Windows 10 USB install for a tablet) and all went well with the upgrade, so now I have my PC, 2 laptops (one my daughter's) and a tablet all on Windows 10. At least that's something that I managed to achieve last week!
Sun 09/08/15 at 20:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:

2) Not using a Microsoft log in (I believe it's referred to as signing in with a "local account")

Such a condescending remark ...

Option 2 is the 'flaw'.

I don't have devices to 'sync', I don't want devices that 'sync', I want my pc to be my pc and I don't need to go through a MS login to then get a 'secure code' sent to my phone to then access something that's already mine! Total pants.

If I'd wanted a pc to run my fridge aswell ... I would have asked for it;¬)
Sun 09/08/15 at 10:10
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:

Windows 8.1 was ok and Windows 10 is a definite positive step up but it's just a step further to MS desire to 'sync' all.

I don't have any equipment to 'sync' and if I did, I wouldn't want to do it anyway. Ok for 'power users' but for me and millions of others, why? I don't want an Xbox, never had an Xbox and I also don't want an Xbox Live account ... but I have now!

Thanks MS, great step forward with the OS ... games are smoother ... but please forget your integration theory, at least give me the choice.

Integration of your devices is a good thing as it goes, I use it quite heavily and find it very useful. However, you do have a choice, in fact several choices and several methods if you'd prefer not to sync multiple machines, including;

It's probably also worth noting that the long-standing and familiar options from countless previous editions of Windows remain, such as specifying whether your machine can be "seen" by other devices on your network, and whether you wish to "share" with them, what your wish to share, and how.

There are a total of seven Windows 8/10 devices in my home, four of which are on a single Microsoft account (fully "integrated"), two are on a separate one (synced for most things), and the other is isolated (that's my boy's xBox). Any of these devices can still "share" stuff in the traditional sense, so nothing's really changed.
Fri 07/08/15 at 20:21
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Interesting reading from 2010 ... Microsoft's desire to take over the World ...

Windows 8.1 was ok and Windows 10 is a definite positive step up but it's just a step further to MS desire to 'sync' all.

I don't have any equipment to 'sync' and if I did, I wouldn't want to do it anyway. Ok for 'power users' but for me and millions of others, why? I don't want an Xbox, never had an Xbox and I also don't want an Xbox Live account ... but I have now!

Thanks MS, great step forward with the OS ... games are smoother ... but please forget your integration theory, at least give me the choice.
Fri 07/08/15 at 17:56
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I'll go with Microsoft ;¬)
Fri 07/08/15 at 17:18
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pete_21 wrote:
As some may already know Windows 10 will soon be running on Xbox One Consoles and will be powered by DirectX 12. Apart from any increases in performance this may bring (most seem to be under the impression this should be the case) it will mean cross platform online multiplayer (XB1 vs PC players) for the first time. Should be interesting, which group do you think will be the strongest..?

There's only one way to find out...
Fri 07/08/15 at 16:51
Regular
"I like turtles"
As some may already know Windows 10 will soon be running on Xbox One Consoles and will be powered by DirectX 12. Apart from any increases in performance this may bring (most seem to be under the impression this should be the case) it will mean cross platform online multiplayer (XB1 vs PC players) for the first time. Should be interesting, which group do you think will be the strongest..?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.