GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows 10; upgrades, problems, solutions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/08/15 at 09:30
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Given that the new operating system from Microsoft seems to be quite a popular topic at the moment, it's probably worth sharing any knowledge we have as we all install and "road test".

So, tell us if you've been successful, what you think of it, or alternatively if you've encountered problems both installing and following the install.

If you have come across any fixes or workarounds, tell us about those too.
Fri 07/08/15 at 14:41
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
chasfh wrote:
Dr. Garin wrote:
[i]Only chasfh could get performance improvements from DirectX 12 before there are actually any games that use it. :-)

I'm not even going to dignify that with a proper answer.[/i]

The question remains; who's seen improvements and in which games?

Despite the above comment, and let's be honest, only a complete idiot could support it (which you're not, Garin, so I can only assume it's a poor attempt to wind me up) given that there's been marked performance increases in most games with each and every release of Direct x, the fact remains that I and a whole slew of other gamers are reporting massive, noticeable increases in framerates and visuals.

Just Google for "Arkham Knight runs better in Windows 10" to see videos, benchmarks and various reports of this.

It would be nice to know what else has been "road tested" in Windows 10 and the results achieved.

Anyone had any issues, anyone had any successes?
Thu 06/08/15 at 11:26
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Dr. Garin wrote:
Only chasfh could get performance improvements from DirectX 12 before there are actually any games that use it. :-)

I'm not even going to dignify that with a proper answer.
Wed 05/08/15 at 22:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Dr. Garin wrote:
Only chasfh could get performance improvements from DirectX 12 before there are actually any games that use it. :-)

Hi Garin ... ;¬) I'm not saying anything :¬D
Wed 05/08/15 at 20:55
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Wed 05/08/15 at 08:35
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
I'll go with that chas :¬)

Glad I'm not the only one to notice! Audio is probably the most marked improvement to be honest, even my missus noticed, and she has no interest in such things...

I find it quite amusing that I now have a "global frame limiter" in my graphics driver suite too! Looking at how the Witcher and Batman are running, I suspect I may need it.
Tue 04/08/15 at 20:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I'll go with that chas :¬)
Tue 04/08/15 at 18:55
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DX 12, then....

It's made a noticeable difference to my machines, anyone else seen an improvement?

Vastly improved framerates, extra pretties in some games (or, at least, clearer pretties!), it certainly seems to be delivering so far...

My positional audio is much crisper than before as well...
Mon 03/08/15 at 20:38
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
DL wrote:
Updated Mrs DL's laptop using the 'download tool'. All quick and successful ... except it doesn't recognise the GTX 860M card. No amount of persuasion or downloading of drivers has helped! The card is working properly according to Device Manager, but the display properties point to Intel Graphics.

All sorted ... all is as it should be.

FWIW Intels new graphic system on laptops/notebooks recognizes the difference in 'load' between mundane tasks like desktop display, Office applications etc etc and a 'game'. If a game is played graphic display will revert to and be rendered by the installed card. Clever stuff, but only apparent within W10.
Mon 03/08/15 at 20:24
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Mon 03/08/15 at 09:28
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
pete_21 wrote:
[i]Think I might wait for my next door neighbour to upgrade to W10 first ......and then send him a friend request on Facebook :)

The option to 'deselect' this appears at the beginning of the install ... just select 'Customize Settings' and tick or untick as you please ... shimples ;¬)[/i]

But how many will not do that DL? I know people who manage to install a trial version of a certain anti virus product whenever they update a certain web browser plug in... Perhaps this feature should really have been something that needed to be manually configured from within the OS if required & not something that could be mistakenly set for activation during the install process?

Also isn't 'Winddows 10' that new Welsh OS?!!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.