GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows 10; upgrades, problems, solutions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/08/15 at 09:30
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Given that the new operating system from Microsoft seems to be quite a popular topic at the moment, it's probably worth sharing any knowledge we have as we all install and "road test".

So, tell us if you've been successful, what you think of it, or alternatively if you've encountered problems both installing and following the install.

If you have come across any fixes or workarounds, tell us about those too.
Tue 11/08/15 at 13:40
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Will be trying Crysis 2 shortly ...
Tue 11/08/15 at 13:00
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
No probs with Aliens: Colonial Marines ... runs a treat and graphically better than W8.1

Thanks DL. I'm currently reinstalling Farcry 4 to see how that behaves. I'll do AC Unity too, as both of those were notoriously resource- hungry on previous versions of Windows and DX, so we'll see how they behave on 10...
Tue 11/08/15 at 10:09
"possibly impossible"
chasfh wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]
15.1GB freed, now just hope I'll never have to go back to 8.1!

Honestly, I doubt "rolling back" to 8.1 would have worked anyway. Downgrading an operating system has never worked for me in the past...

15.1GB saved can't be bad! Windows 10 is clearly better for small devices then.[/i]

Definitely. I like the choice of tablet view and desktop view as well. Tablet view is more like the Windows 8 start screen, which actually worked well on tablets, so you've got the choice.
Tue 11/08/15 at 09:29
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:

Honestly, I doubt "rolling back" to 8.1 would have worked anyway. Downgrading an operating system has never worked for me in the past...

15.1GB saved can't be bad! Windows 10 is clearly better for small devices then.
Mon 10/08/15 at 22:35
"possibly impossible"
chasfh wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]chasfh wrote:
[i]pb wrote:
[i]It needed 5.4GB of space. I didn't do a fresh install because some people have had issues with that, I just ran the upgrade. Hasn't given me any more space in the process but I would imagine a fresh install would.

Yup, I did the upgrade too. Run a system cleanup, and choose the option to clean up Windows files, should remove the old OS files (about 15Gb in my case).[/i]

I'll try that. Always having trouble with space on the tablet's meagre 32GB internal memory. The 64GB SD Card has most of the large program files on, so it's mostly office and Windows on that taking up the space.[/i]

Not a bad thing to see half that internal memory magically reappear!

Nearly fell off my sofa when I saw how much room it gave me...[/i]

Mon 10/08/15 at 16:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
No probs with Aliens: Colonial Marines ... runs a treat and graphically better than W8.1
Mon 10/08/15 at 15:02
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Loaded Rage up on my PC to see how it would run in Windows 10, came across my first issue gaming-wise...

The audio on the intro cuts in and out (seems like a regular drop, every two seconds or so). However, the game plays beautifully. Glitch-free, fast, smooth...

I suspect that there may be a missing audio codec I need to get to "fix" the sound on the intro, and I'll probably have to do much the same with Bioshock (the first one) as that was an issue in Windows 8.

Also worth a mention, a number of Steam titles require you to validate the local files after the upgrade before you can run them. Saint's Row 4 for example. Oddly, this is not a general Steam issue, it seems to be game specific despite them all pretty much sharing the "common files" location.
Mon 10/08/15 at 14:50
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]pb wrote:
[i]It needed 5.4GB of space. I didn't do a fresh install because some people have had issues with that, I just ran the upgrade. Hasn't given me any more space in the process but I would imagine a fresh install would.

Yup, I did the upgrade too. Run a system cleanup, and choose the option to clean up Windows files, should remove the old OS files (about 15Gb in my case).[/i]

I'll try that. Always having trouble with space on the tablet's meagre 32GB internal memory. The 64GB SD Card has most of the large program files on, so it's mostly office and Windows on that taking up the space.[/i]

Not a bad thing to see half that internal memory magically reappear!

Nearly fell off my sofa when I saw how much room it gave me...
Mon 10/08/15 at 14:43
"possibly impossible"
chasfh wrote:
pb wrote:

I'll try that. Always having trouble with space on the tablet's meagre 32GB internal memory. The 64GB SD Card has most of the large program files on, so it's mostly office and Windows on that taking up the space.
Mon 10/08/15 at 14:32
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
It needed 5.4GB of space. I didn't do a fresh install because some people have had issues with that, I just ran the upgrade. Hasn't given me any more space in the process but I would imagine a fresh install would.

Yup, I did the upgrade too. Run a system cleanup, and choose the option to clean up Windows files, should remove the old OS files (about 15Gb in my case).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.