GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows 10; upgrades, problems, solutions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/08/15 at 09:30
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Given that the new operating system from Microsoft seems to be quite a popular topic at the moment, it's probably worth sharing any knowledge we have as we all install and "road test".

So, tell us if you've been successful, what you think of it, or alternatively if you've encountered problems both installing and following the install.

If you have come across any fixes or workarounds, tell us about those too.
Mon 24/08/15 at 17:59
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Just been having a Windows 10 play...
Upgrading a W7 to W10 PC.

1/
After being offered the download it appeared to get stuck with a "Working on it" dialogue box.
Eventually gave up on that and did a manual check for Windows Updates - this showed the W10 download and followed the prompts there to download/install.

2/
Windows DVD Player - this new 'app' doesn't want to play physical DVDs! Looking around this seems to be a problem for many. See comments on app store for a flavour.

Some people have had to buy the app for around £12 depending on their version of Windows. They then find it doesn't play DVDs! My PC installed the app for free but it gives a "can't decode" error.
Has anyone else come across this and found a fix/codec etc.?

I've just gone with VLC which works fine.

3/
Cortana not available. As far as I can tell the PC needs to download/install the English Speech Language Pack. This showed up as a 25MB file but took about 5 hours to download?!
After an hour I gave up on the install as it didn't seem to be doing a lot! Again looking around Language Packs can take a while to install but this didn't seem right.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

The DVD app one is an odd one, it installed on all my machines without issue, and I have tried it on two fully successfully for DVD playback.

However, on both machines I had DivX media player with a bunch of other codecs installed, so perhaps they're "sharing"?

VLC seems to be the weapon of choice for most people.

Not had the issue with Cortana either. Not that I use it much...
Mon 24/08/15 at 17:07
"Are you sure?"
Just been having a Windows 10 play...
Upgrading a W7 to W10 PC.

1/
After being offered the download it appeared to get stuck with a "Working on it" dialogue box.
Eventually gave up on that and did a manual check for Windows Updates - this showed the W10 download and followed the prompts there to download/install.

2/
Windows DVD Player - this new 'app' doesn't want to play physical DVDs! Looking around this seems to be a problem for many. See comments on app store for a flavour.

Some people have had to buy the app for around £12 depending on their version of Windows. They then find it doesn't play DVDs! My PC installed the app for free but it gives a "can't decode" error.
Has anyone else come across this and found a fix/codec etc.?

I've just gone with VLC which works fine.

3/
Cortana not available. As far as I can tell the PC needs to download/install the English Speech Language Pack. This showed up as a 25MB file but took about 5 hours to download?!
After an hour I gave up on the install as it didn't seem to be doing a lot! Again looking around Language Packs can take a while to install but this didn't seem right.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 14/08/15 at 12:55
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Black Flag is now running perfectly.

One for the AMD graphics card users; disable Raptr in-game overlay, as this seems to be a bit of a resource hog.

The Raptr (or "Gaming Evolved" app) comes with the new Catalyst drivers, and on the whole is quite useful. It defaults, however, to fully intruding on every game wherever it can, and this seems to cause issues with some games, most noticeable with Ubisoft titles, Wolfenstein and (oddly, since Windows 10) the Arkham games.
Wed 12/08/15 at 08:51
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Fired up AC Unity yesterday. Even the missus commented on how different it looks, the cut sequences are sharper (they're built "in-game" to reflect the equipment your character is wearing at the time), the framerate is higher and generally the game just runs and looks better.

Had a problem with AC Black Flag, so I'm currently reinstalling that.
Tue 11/08/15 at 22:56
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Crysis2 (Steam) runs a treat from the off. Windowed mode to start but crystal clear. Options ... full screen ... bursts into life in glorious Ultra ... stunning ... DX11 but somewhat 'better'. No issues with sound either.
Tue 11/08/15 at 20:38
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Okey dokey ... down to me then! Far better game than Crysis as it happens :¬)
Tue 11/08/15 at 15:37
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]DL wrote:
[i]Will be trying Crysis 2 shortly ...

Heh... I might have to try the first one...:-)[/i]

So ... who's going to do Warhead then?[/i]

Don't own it, so not me!

I bought the first one when it was entirely unplayable by anyone other than NASA, and by the time some clever soul had worked out what the problem was, I couldn't be bothered...
Tue 11/08/15 at 15:32
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
DL wrote:
[i]Will be trying Crysis 2 shortly ...

Heh... I might have to try the first one...:-)[/i]

So ... who's going to do Warhead then?
Tue 11/08/15 at 14:01
"possibly impossible"
I'm waiting on my new graphics card to test anything.
Tue 11/08/15 at 13:57
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
Will be trying Crysis 2 shortly ...

Heh... I might have to try the first one...:-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.