GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows 10; upgrades, problems, solutions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/08/15 at 09:30
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Given that the new operating system from Microsoft seems to be quite a popular topic at the moment, it's probably worth sharing any knowledge we have as we all install and "road test".

So, tell us if you've been successful, what you think of it, or alternatively if you've encountered problems both installing and following the install.

If you have come across any fixes or workarounds, tell us about those too.
Sun 02/08/15 at 19:26
Regular
pb wrote:
My LINX 8 tablet still hasn't had an upgrade notification and using the ISO is apparently a bad idea for tablets as they need a different version.

i did the upgrade on my linx 8 tablet with the download tool "MediaCreationtool.exe" but lot ppl where trying to put the 64bit windows on it i just poped the 32bit on as that what it has on it just told it "this is the pc" and it started downloading it told it to use the SD card as temp and installed dont need to make a usb or iso just tell it to install

only problems that can come up is that it defaults "rotation lock on" lot ppl where trying to replace the drivers for the screen just pop in notifications and unselect it screen works like normal and in notifications you can swop tablet mode and pc mode
Sun 02/08/15 at 18:41
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
Think I might wait for my next door neighbour to upgrade to W10 first ......and then send him a friend request on Facebook :)

The option to 'deselect' this appears at the beginning of the install ... just select 'Customize Settings' and tick or untick as you please ... shimples ;¬)
Sun 02/08/15 at 18:21
Regular
"I like turtles"
Think I might wait for my next door neighbour to upgrade to W10 first ......and then send him a friend request on Facebook :)
Sun 02/08/15 at 15:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Updated Mrs DL's laptop using the 'download tool'. All quick and successful ... except it doesn't recognise the GTX 860M card. No amount of persuasion or downloading of drivers has helped! The card is working properly according to Device Manager, but the display properties point to Intel Graphics.
Sun 02/08/15 at 11:47
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
My LINX 8 tablet still hasn't had an upgrade notification and using the ISO is apparently a bad idea for tablets as they need a different version.

Odd thing with my tablet, the upgrade notification disappeared for a day or two, then returned, telling me the upgrade was ready to install.

I ran Windows update about once every hour during the morning prior to the upgrade loading, so perhaps that helps? However, with tablets I think a lot depends on hardware, there are some compatibility issues which, if they affect your particular tablet, may actually delay the notification until drivers etc. are sorted out.

I have to say though, it runs beautifully on a tablet, and it appears to have saved me around 13Gb of space!
Sun 02/08/15 at 11:25
"possibly impossible"
Sun 02/08/15 at 09:38
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Tried out a few games yesterday. Arkham Knight runs ridiculously smooth in Windows 10, as per one or two reports prior to the release. Same with Rome Total War, I can run on Extreme settings with no sign of slowdown.

DX12, I guess, really does have an effect...

On a different note, some users of the Outlook mail app in W10 are reporting an error "cannot connect to network" when trying to send mail. This is caused by a corrupted file, I assume during the import of mail account settings from the previous OS.

The solution is as follows;

1. Open a command prompt from the start menu as Administrator.
2. type sfc /scannow
3. Windows will scan your system files and repair corrupted ones.
4. Do a reboot.

This seems to have cured the problem for most users, although some have had to run the scan more than once..

EDIT: this seems to work for ALL versions of Outlook running in Windows 10...
Sat 01/08/15 at 21:42
"Are you sure?"
Yep, as mentioned it redirects to the 'ISO' address.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 01/08/15 at 20:52
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
That's odd ... using your link Hmmm, I get the same page as pb's earlier link:

Nope not a mention of ISO in URL

EDIT: Your man doesn't indicate how to personalise the colour of a window border. This option has been in every Windows version since 3.1
Sat 01/08/15 at 19:57
"Are you sure?"
#Winddows :¬P

Users upgrading from earlier versions should also create Recovery Media using Microsoft's website in case they have problems down the line and haven't got alternate ways of downloading/creating this: Windows 10

I think pb's earlier link redirects you to this page but the current address has added ISO: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

I've mentioned him before but Scott Hanselman does some decent videos about Windows 10. His video just after upgrading is a good Windows 10 starter

I'm way behind the timesas always unfortunately and only have 1 machine I can upgrade to Windows 10 so I'll mostly be commenting from the side-lines.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.