GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows 10; upgrades, problems, solutions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/08/15 at 09:30
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Given that the new operating system from Microsoft seems to be quite a popular topic at the moment, it's probably worth sharing any knowledge we have as we all install and "road test".

So, tell us if you've been successful, what you think of it, or alternatively if you've encountered problems both installing and following the install.

If you have come across any fixes or workarounds, tell us about those too.
Thu 03/09/15 at 08:18
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
Just an idle question ... (again) ... why would you want to install Cortana anyway on a PC?

Ok, I talk to my PC as we all probably do ... but why spoil the PC experience?

Is she going to tell us that the hard drive needs a good sorting or that our email boxes are over flowing?

A totally, unnecessary piece of software on a PC! MS's desire to 'sync' all 'their' devices is not acceptable within the PC world TBH.

Cortana, as I said, I haven't really found a use for yet. But, with regard to syncing, all of my devices are and I love it. Best thing to happen with Windows for ages.

My phone and tablet are essentially extensions for my pc, and I can start something on my laptop, move to my desktop to continue, etc.

Don't really see a downside as it goes...
Wed 02/09/15 at 23:12
Regular
I have only installed 10 today - kept being told I'd be notified when ready but without anything to show me progress, and weeks of waiting, I decided to manually take the plunge.

So far, no problems with my headset, improvement on my monitor, and the software I have attempted to run so far has worked without issue.

I will however keep checking this thread as I'm sure I'll find something that doesn't work.
Wed 02/09/15 at 20:20
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just an idle question ... (again) ... why would you want to install Cortana anyway on a PC?

Ok, I talk to my PC as we all probably do ... but why spoil the PC experience?

Is she going to tell us that the hard drive needs a good sorting or that our email boxes are over flowing?

A totally, unnecessary piece of software on a PC! MS's desire to 'sync' all 'their' devices is not acceptable within the PC world TBH.
Wed 02/09/15 at 16:53
"Are you sure?"
Hmmm... wrote:
Cortana not available. As far as I can tell the PC needs to download/install the English Speech Language Pack. This showed up as a 25MB file but took about 5 hours to download?!
After an hour I gave up on the install as it didn't seem to be doing a lot! Again looking around Language Packs can take a while to install but this didn't seem right.

Cortana update
I had another play with this and it's now working.
A second go installing the English Speech Language Pack worked this time. Looking in Language & Regions two more English Language downloads were offered 112MB. This downloaded and installed. Then after a short wait the Windows Search icon changed to a Cortana one and all was well.

Facial Recognition
Had a play setting this up but found it only works with certain types of webcam - so that looks like a no go.
You can use the lock screen image/photo to login though - this works well. You set 3 'hotspots' on your chosen image which you click to login.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 01/09/15 at 18:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I'm with you on this one chas ... plenty more to try ;¬) If you don't try, how can you list games that DON'T work? Far more fun ... try'em all :¬)

EDIT: Add Black Mesa to the OK list ... it works :¬)
Tue 01/09/15 at 15:00
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
Isn't it probably easier to list the games that DON'T run on Windows 10? :D

Possibly...

Bet you feel smart now, don't you?

I think the point is that we at least give some feedback. If it doesn't work, then what's the problem? If it does, how well does it run, is there an improvement over Windows8/7 etc.

Honestly though, I have gone back as far as 2007 with my games, and no issues. That's probably more telling than anything.
Tue 01/09/15 at 11:48
"possibly impossible"
Isn't it probably easier to list the games that DON'T run on Windows 10? :D
Tue 01/09/15 at 09:27
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
Crysis2 works a dream, as does Reload and Homefront and Betrayer ... W10 compatible :¬)

Might had here, in small print, ... if your machine is capable ;¬)

Farcry 3, Farcry 4, all the Bioshock games, all the Arkham games (including Origins, which runs better than it ever has!), Dying Light, all run fine...

I've been busy!
Mon 31/08/15 at 19:42
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Crysis2 works a dream, as does Reload and Homefront and Betrayer ... W10 compatible :¬)

Might add here, in small print, ... if your machine is capable ;¬)
Mon 24/08/15 at 18:10
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Just been having a Windows 10 play...

Why would you want Cortana on a PC anyway?

Epson printer drivers now don't recognise USB 2.0 apparently ;¬)

Wanted to print a single page document yesterday and 14 pages of machine code appeared!

On investigation ... Epson printer doesn't recognise USB 3.0, please connect using 2.0!!!???

By the way stupid, it is connected via USB 2.0!

W'x'F ... finally connected via wireless and printed the one page!

That's Windows 10 for you ... a 'new OS' but just as 'skittish' as all that went before ;¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.