GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox outselling Cube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/11/02 at 19:03
Regular
Last week the XBox overtook the Cube in sales in GB. Now there are (only) 3000 more XBoxes around than Cubes. This is due to the excellent offer the XBox has (2 games for free).

Nintendo have to cut prices and/0r add a free killer game, like they did with the Mario/Goldeneye N64s.

They have to do it before Christmas, or else they'll take a pounding.
Fri 08/11/02 at 23:21
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Not me. I'm only excited about StarFox adventures because Nintendo are
> offering a helping hand, though it's apparently not up to scratch.

The main problem with Starfox is that Rare wanted to make it one way, Nintendo wanted to make it another, and that messed it up.
Starfox shouldn't have been in it for a start...

He didn't quite suit Dinosaur Planet's storyline in a way that couldn't be fully covered up. Nintendo and Rare are great companies but work in very different styles, especially now Nintendo are going for smaller games.
They just don't work the same way anymore and can't really work together anymore.

> Conker, Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Tooie were all started before the
> split and the projects Rare HAVE done on their own (Perfect Dark GBC)
> were awful.

Ofcourse, the single Goldeneye team was responsible for ALL of these titles...

no wait...

Besides, it takes more than a good start to make a classic game.
Before the Goldeneye team left, Conker was just another cutesy Mario wannabe. It was AFTER they left that it became the incredibly clever and unique Bad Fur Day.

Not that it was relevant.
They were working Perfect Dark, NOT Conker.

> Perhaps, but all companies are talented. And I'm saying that the Rare
> that were Goldeneye are gone, so you can't expect that anymore.

No. Part of Rare that made Goldeneye has gone.
For every team member that left, there was one that stayed behind having learnt all the tricks or the trade and aspired as a worthy replacement.

The only reason why Rare haven't done another "Goldeneye" is because that only works for 100% original games - Goldeneye blew us away in ways that we'd never before imagined.

By the time Perfect Dark came along, we were used to headshots, splitscreen mulitplayer, great graphics and animations etc.
That's why it wasn't as impressive despite being superior.

Timesplitters 2 isn't any better in that department.
Not because it's not as good as it should be (because it is), because NO FPS is going to blow us away like Goldeneye did. EVER!

> Besides, you're only bitter because MS bought them.
>
> Not at all - I've always reserved my judgement about Rare since the
> split.
>
> Don't worry, Microsoft's attempts to break into the Games Market
> have
> reached points of desperation. The Xbox is heading for so many price
> cuts, you'll soon be able to pick up an Xbox along with all of Rares
> new games for a really cheap price! :-)
>
> Hmm.. I'd rather spend my money on something worthwhile...

The Xbox is worthwhile.
I can understand why you'd PREFER a Gamecube, with Nintendo's rep of great games like Mario and Zelda - I do to.
But to ignore the fact that the Xbox is a great console in it's own right, and DOES offer plenty of things that the Gamecube doesn't isn't very rational at all.

I think Belldandy agrees with me...
Fri 08/11/02 at 23:07
Regular
Belldandy wrote:

> Be fair, what's GC got after, or before Starfox thats truly
> outstanding. I last bought ED and can't find anything worth buying
> until the 22nd now.

Admittedly there aren't that many amazing exclusives coing out now before Xmas. There's always Monkey Ball 2, Die Hard, Wario World and Mario Party 4 but nothing REALLY special.

But there's still tons of 3rd party games coming out Medal of Honour, James Bond, Jedi Knight, Clone Wars, Tony Hawks 4, Ghost Recon, Sum of all Fears, Hunter Hunted, Thingy the Yakuza missions etc etc

Then looking to next year we have Zelda, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 4, 1080 white Storm, F-Zero etc etc

The Cubes future is looking sweeeeeeeeeet
Fri 08/11/02 at 22:54
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Microsoft do have one very big trump card to play - online gaming. As for saying there's nothing worth playing apart from Halo, well there's JSRF, Sega GT 2002, DOA 3, PGR, Blinx as well as tons more, with Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, UT 2003 and more imminent, and loads more coming next year including 6 Rare games over 2 years.

Rare did do Perfect Dark, and if Rare hadn't been bought by MS you'd all still say Rare was the saviour of the Gamecube and Nintendo.

Be fair, what's GC got after, or before Starfox thats truly outstanding. I last bought ED and can't find anything worth buying until the 22nd now.

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:51
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> The X-Box is winning in the USA and the UK.
>
> *ahem*

What?
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:49
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
thats in the future of gaming chat room
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:48
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
check out my thread on online gaming please, i think it would amuse you
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:48
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> The X-Box is winning MARGINALLY in the USA and the UK.

*ahem*
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:47
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Apparently.
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:45
Regular
Am I the only one who can see the word 'marginally'?
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:40
Regular
"bit of a brain"
No. You didn't use it in the right place. What you said made no sense. If the X-box is outselling the GC in Europe and America, then, even if the GC is outselling the X-box in Japan, it still isn't enough to make the GC sell more in worldwide sales.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.