GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox outselling Cube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/11/02 at 19:03
Regular
Last week the XBox overtook the Cube in sales in GB. Now there are (only) 3000 more XBoxes around than Cubes. This is due to the excellent offer the XBox has (2 games for free).

Nintendo have to cut prices and/0r add a free killer game, like they did with the Mario/Goldeneye N64s.

They have to do it before Christmas, or else they'll take a pounding.
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:38
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> The X-Box is winning marginally in the USA and the UK. The GameCube is
> absolutely MILES ahead in Japan. Leaving the GameCube quite a way
> ahead of the 'Box in worldwide sales.

*ahem*
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:33
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You didn't say marginally. Ever.
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:03
Regular
Yes, that's where the 'marginally' and 'by MILES' comes into play.
Fri 08/11/02 at 20:00
Regular
No.

Strangely, America and Europe combined are ever so slightly bigger than Japan.
Fri 08/11/02 at 19:39
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> It's not even beating it. What do you think this topic is all about?

The X-Box is winning marginally in the USA and the UK. The GameCube is absolutely MILES ahead in Japan. Leaving the GameCube quite a way ahead of the 'Box in worldwide sales.
Fri 08/11/02 at 19:38
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> I've seen footage of Kameo.
> It's looking as good as anything Rare have ever done before.
> We'd all be raving about it if it was still Gamecube bound.

Not me. I'm only excited about StarFox adventures because Nintendo are offering a helping hand, though it's apparently not up to scratch.

> A bit out there. SOME of the Goldeneye team left Rare and some of
> Perfect Dark was done without them, not to mention the likes of
> Conker, Jet Force Gemini etc...

Conker, Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Tooie were all started before the split and the projects Rare HAVE done on their own (Perfect Dark GBC) were awful.

> Besides, while Timesplitters 2 is a great game, it's not mind
> blowingly blindingly brilliant like Goldeneye was.
> There was more to Rare than just a couple of talented devellopers who
> have probably been replaced by equally, if not more so talented
> devellopers.

Perhaps, but all companies are talented. And I'm saying that the Rare that were Goldeneye are gone, so you can't expect that anymore.

> Besides, you're only bitter because MS bought them.

Not at all - I've always reserved my judgement about Rare since the split.

> Don't worry, Microsoft's attempts to break into the Games Market have
> reached points of desperation. The Xbox is heading for so many price
> cuts, you'll soon be able to pick up an Xbox along with all of Rares
> new games for a really cheap price! :-)

Hmm.. I'd rather spend my money on something worthwhile...
Fri 08/11/02 at 19:36
Regular
The Gamecube isn't whipping the X-box you pillock.

It's not even beating it. What do you think this topic is all about?
Fri 08/11/02 at 19:34
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> With the next genereation the X-box will significantly catch up with
> the next Playstation, Nintendo's next console will come in last.

No way! The GameCube is whipping the X-Box and with good reason! People just realise it's a PC in disguise and as long as Nintendo continue to offer such great value for money unlike Microsoft, and great games, they'll never come last.

The X-Box's only good game - Halo - isn't all it's cracked up to be and is coming out on PC anyway. Trust me, Microsoft will make their console so expensive next time around, no-one will want to buy it. Plus, Sony and Nintendo will always have the best games.

> The generation after that it's highly likely the X-box will then be
> the most popular console, again, Nintendo's will come in last, by a
> long way this time.

And how will they do that?

> By this time I wouldn't be surprised at all for Nintendo to pull out
> of the industry.

It won't happen, but if it does they'll continue to make games. If that's the case, I'll never buy a Microsoft product again. Scumbags, they are.
Fri 08/11/02 at 09:48
Regular
The current xbox offer does look tempting, except that i don't have enough time or money to buy and play all the cube games my fingers itch for, so buying something else would be pretty pointless.

But when people are knocking around dates in 2004-05 for an xbox 2 launch, that doesn't give a hell of a lot of time for microsoft to make up on their hardware costs on sales of games and accessories.

Then again, i guess gates can afford to break evenish anyway, and it adds potential user base for xbox 2, while improving the image of microsoft as a whole.

Here's a thought - could the current xbox be upgraded in the same way a pc can to give higher performance? And could this be the xbox 2 - same outside, souped up inside.
Send the console away, or take it to a dealer, and it gets new bits inside, or buy an xbox 2 as a normal xbox with the new bits in there.

Given the parallels between xbox and pc, and that it'd be a cheaper way to keep xbox owners on board for the 'next console', that seems like it could just be a way forward.
Fri 08/11/02 at 09:18
Regular
The game industry is so big now that there is room for 3 companies.
Even if xbox had sold to 50% of gamers it still means PS2 and GC will be doing well as many people have more than one console, and these who only have the PS2 or GC will buy anyway. Its so easy to make a profit if you think about it, if you sell to 50,000 people, you will still make a profit by the amount of people buying the software.

Im getting an xbox soon, and maybe a PS2 for chirstmas.
The big loser in all this is PS2. Nintendo has the games which sell that they make, and PS2 used to buy exclusives from other companies...but now MS is here and will buy anything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.