GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Violence in Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/12/02 at 10:52
Regular
I know this is in the wrong forum, but i could not post it in the one i wanted cos i'm a newbie. Anyway i'd like to know what peoples views are on the violence and adult content in the games that are around now. My belief is that if they continue going the way they are going in the next few years we're going to have some seriously sick games on the market, this is not a complaint though the point i'm trying to get through is that most of the violence today is blamed on computer games. It only takes one irresponsible teen to do something stupid then their parents blame it on the computer games industry but it's probably that the child is very sick in the head. Personally iv'e never played on a computer game then gone and shot somebody.

"why buy the cow when you can get the sex for free"
Thu 23/09/04 at 17:12
Regular
boring topics in clasik
Tue 21/09/04 at 19:33
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Solid Snake wrote:
> if there wansént any violence in game these day we whould be playing
> barbie games

nah, we wouldn't buy them and you already have them all, so nothing changes :P
Tue 21/09/04 at 16:59
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
That's not necessarily true: Game have included elemnts of violence for many years- It's only in the past few years that graphics good enough to show brutal killing and sound good enough to provide a suitable soundtrack have caused people to start complaining. The problem is that adults buy kids games like GTA and Manhunt thinking they're harmless because 20, even 10 years ago games were too basic to be like that. The only problem is awareness: The customer isn't always right.
Sun 19/09/04 at 15:24
Regular
"Nicolaj"
Violence in games is a great thing otherwise if there wansént any violence in game these day we whould be playing puzzle game and barbie games
Thu 29/04/04 at 19:22
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I think violence in games is nothing but a good thing. Games allow you to vent your anger on little fake people, without games you would probably just take your anger out on other people, and hit the first person that looked at you funny.
Mon 26/04/04 at 21:32
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Indeed. Since when did someone play GTA II and then drive off and try and run people over to get paid? And since when did someone go and shoot up a Post Office and set a building on fire because they had been playing Postal?

People just point the finger of blame at games because they don't like them. Granted, the more games kids play, the less they are exercising and the fatter they are getting, but what have games ever done to anyone? Apart from the kid who got DVT from sitting in front of his PS2 for hours, they don't kill.

If a thirteen year old student kills some people, several motives will probably be to blame: Depression, domestic problems and exposure to drugs/drug culture all do more damage then TV and games put together.

People just look for excuese because they don't like games for some reason or another. Rant over.
Sun 25/04/04 at 17:36
Regular
Using videogames as an excuse for violence is just a cop-out to be honest. No-one goes around painting hedgehogs blue after playing Sonic, nor do they think eating a slice of pizza will make them feel better after breaking their arms, yet both of these are seen in videogames.

Any fool can cherry-pick blame for things from any medium. Violence could be blamed on TV a lot easier than on videogames. Of course, violence could also be blamed on domestic issues - a child who frequently watches his father beat his mother to a pulp may grow up to be the same. Does anyone give a rat's about that? Seemingly not.

It's laughable that some people invest so much time and effort into fighting for such a weak cause as violence in videogames.
Sun 21/12/03 at 11:44
Regular
Pheat wrote:
> in game violence is a stress releiver

depends what game it is, and the 'ferocity' of the weapons used. For example, the minigun from AVP2 is rather nice, because of it's sound and general coolness, as is the Venom gun from the beloved RTCW. I bet i can make a mod for RF that is so much better for chaos and noise. oh yeah.
Fri 28/11/03 at 02:07
Regular
"The World is Dead"
wow. i haven't been on here in a year ish time and you guys are still arguuing and quoting from the first few posts. awww isn't that cute. anyway.

in game violence is a stress releiver
Sun 16/11/03 at 10:24
Regular
"grows in nasty plac"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> cops stink wrote:
> If your mature enough, violence in games isn't a problem as it can
> be
> quite fun
>
> That is exactly the point that needs to be driven home to parents. if
> your child is a raving looney that's got a single-digit IQ, don't
> lettem play. if you do, then it probably proves that they are like
> you in every way - an ar$e...
>
> if that message was aired during the launch, then things might have
> been a little less confused...

I AGREE - - - - WAR GAMES ARENT VIOLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.