GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I NEED to be Persuaded..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/01/03 at 14:52
Regular
After a lot of thinking I have decided to get a GAMECUBE and with a bit of luck I will have it before this weekend :) However before I decide to jump in and make the purchase I need some help. Please would you try to answer the questions below and explain to me about each one, thanks!

1. I have a 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround sound system which currently is home to my Xbox but I need information on the GameCube's sound qualitys. I know that it doesn't support Dolby Digital but I am aware that it does support PRO LOGIC and PRO LOGIC 2. However, does anyone know what I will need to purchase to get that up and running? Do I just need an advanced scart cable with OPTICAL INPUT or do I need something else to connect it to my 5.1 AMP? (It supports DTS, PRO LOGIC, PRO LOGIC 2 as well)

2. I am planning to get Residnet Evil with it but as of yet that is all I am planning. I have heard about Eternal Darkness and Rougue Leader etc but what other game in that genre will cater for my gameing needs? I like FPS game, Action/Adventure and Shooting games. Any game listed with a bit of information would be appraciated.

3. What up and coming games should I be looking out for (besides Metroid Prime and Legend of Zelda)?

4. I like the Xbox controller and I was wondering if there were any 3rd Party controllers that were like it?

5. Is DIE HARD VENDETTA any good as I am a HUGE Die Hard fan and the review I have read haven't impressed me, but what do you think?

Any additional information would be greatfull appreciated as I am unaware of the Capabilities as of yet!

Thanks
Sat 04/01/03 at 13:46
Regular
Cheers Mav! I have found out quite a bit since posting that but there were a few games on there (Starfox Mcloud, correct me if I am wrong but I used to own the original for the snez, is this the space shooter game with classic boss battles?) that I am going to look into now. I have sent off for my Phono connections today so I will have them by Tuesday hopefully :)
Sat 04/01/03 at 13:44
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, MOHAA, Project IGI, Turok/2, Operation Flashpoint, Serious Sam, Half-Life, NOLF 2 the list goes on.
Sat 04/01/03 at 13:44
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Whats the single player like on Super Smash Brothers? Does it last
> long on single player or is it mainly a multi-player game? Thanks :)

It's good fun. There's three main modes of play, with tonnes of extras such as multi-man melees, sandbag challenges, target tests and the like and loads to unlock too. It'll keep you playing for a while.
Sat 04/01/03 at 13:39
Regular
maddmun wrote:
> I have never actually played an FPS with a good single player mode.

Two words:

Deus. Ex.
Sat 04/01/03 at 13:33
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> 2. I am planning to get Residnet Evil with it but as of yet that is
> all I am planning. I have heard about Eternal Darkness and Rougue
> Leader etc but what other game in that genre will cater for my gameing
> needs? I like FPS game, Action/Adventure and Shooting games. Any game
> listed with a bit of information would be appraciated.

Well, here are the exclusives:

Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2.
Critically acclaimed, fantastic graphics with addictive and speedy gameplay, this is a must for Star Wars fans and haters alike.

Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Nintendo’s unique twist on the beat ‘em up genre sees their all-star line up going into battle against each other, in a brilliantly faced paced game for the ‘Cube.

Resident Evil.
This atmospheric and terrifying action game involves solving puzzles, using tactics and of course, fighting zombies. Not for the younger player.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem.
The survival horror genre continues with Nintendo’s own twist. Take the role of Alexandra Rovias and battle against all kinds of horrors to stay sane.

Die Hard: Vendetta.
With a story so alive that you’ll begin to know the characters personally, and such quick and fun gameplay, this exclusive GameCube FPS performs brilliantly.

Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet.
This joint gaming project between Nintendo and Rare takes the playability of Zelda games and turns it into a highly enjoyable and massive GameCube adventure.

Those are the ones already out.

> 3. What up and coming games should I be looking out for (besides
> Metroid Prime and Legend of Zelda)?

StarFox Armada
This futuristic space shooter from NAMCO sees Fox McCloud battling it out once again from the cockpit of his speedy and highly armoured Arwing.

Animal Crossing
Nintendo’s own reality gaming series compliments others in the genre (Harvest Moon) while adding new things too – making for a highly addictive and fun experience.

Killer 7
Viewtiful Joe
Dead Phoenix
Product Number 03
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

And then there a loads more class exclusives that I can't be bothered to write about :).

> 4. I like the Xbox controller and I was wondering if there were any
> 3rd Party controllers that were like it?

I don't think so, but I'm fairly sure there's a peripheral that lets you use an X-Box controller on the GameCube. You'll get used to the official one, anyway.

> 5. Is DIE HARD VENDETTA any good as I am a HUGE Die Hard fan and the
> review I have read haven't impressed me, but what do you think?

It's a good game, and comes highly recommended from various GameCube magazines. It's apparently let down by the lack of multiplayer and vague objectives but apart from that a top shooter.

> Any additional information would be greatfull appreciated as I am
> unaware of the Capabilities as of yet!

I wrote a topic a while back, called 'Thinking Of Buying A GameCube?'. It's got some useful info in it. I'll try and find it if you want.
Sat 04/01/03 at 01:05
Regular
Ah.. I have just found some Phono to Analog sockets for 99p each on Maplin.co.uk, Strafex do you think these will be OK?

Remove Spaces:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ products/module.asp?CartID=030103234259722&moduleno =1180&modulecode=

If I buy two of them and then fit them into my Analog sockets I can then connect my Scart up to that and with my system supporting Pro Logic (not sure about Pro Logic 2 as of yet but at least I have Pro Logic) I should be able to connect the two wires from the scart (left and right) up to my AMP leaving the yellow video one in the back of the scart which is in the back of my TV. I resume Yamaha decided to make my AMP like they have so that you can buy optional phono to jack connections for additional equipment like the GameCube. Your input would be appreciated, thanks mate!
Fri 03/01/03 at 23:42
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> For the Advanced RGB scart will I need to by the connecting wires or
> are the attatched to the Scart?

I'm not sure, I've only got the standard one.

>I have 1 Right and 1 left Analog
> scoket spare on the back of my AMP along with a coaxial socket, are
> these any good?

I think they're the same ones I was talking about, just not colour coded. ;-)

>Will thhe wires fit into this or will I need a Dual
> Phono to Coaxial socket? Is Pro Logic Digital or Analog? If it is
> Digital then the Phono to coaxial looks like the best option.

Pro Logic is analogue. That's why 5.1 is better, being digital.

That should answer your questions. :-)
Fri 03/01/03 at 11:51
Regular
My parents are primitive when it comes to the internet.

They told me not to "download hotmail" onto the computer as it would take to much space. Sighs.
Fri 03/01/03 at 02:33
Regular
For the Advanced RGB scart will I need to by the connecting wires or are the attatched to the Scart? I have 1 Right and 1 left Analog scoket spare on the back of my AMP along with a coaxial socket, are these any good? Will thhe wires fit into this or will I need a Dual Phono to Coaxial socket? Is Pro Logic Digital or Analog? If it is Digital then the Phono to coaxial looks like the best option. My AMP doesn't have a socket so I am going to have to make do with this, any ideas Strafex? Cheers!
Thu 02/01/03 at 23:30
Regular
Cheers Strafex I am going to get the advanced Scart cable and although my System supports both Pro Logic and Pro Logic 2 it doesn't have the Red and White connections :( I am going to look into this further and see what the guy from Cube-Europe says! I am going into town tomorrow to get my GameCube (no games as of yet but I am going to have a look around).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.