GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Driving Lesson"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/02/03 at 14:18
Regular
My first in about an hour

I'ma bit nervous
Fri 18/07/03 at 02:25
Oh sorry not automatic, but those that have formula one style paddles behind the whell instead of a crappy gear stick?
Fri 18/07/03 at 02:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Icarus wrote:
> Finally, is there a car that does automatic gears? It would be much
> easier.

Yeah, they are called automatic cars. But they require their own driving licence, and are generally poor acceleration.
Fri 18/07/03 at 02:17
I've learnt that you could also knock it into neutral when you stop and get back into first or second as you start again. I'll think I shall do that from now on.

It's just that whenever the car takes off again to get round the corner (after checking for hazards, etc.)it stalls in second gear because there aren't enough revs, whereas in 1st its okay.

Finally, is there a car that does automatic gears? It would be much easier.
Thu 17/07/03 at 15:55
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Oh, by the by.

These are just general suggestions. The best way to know which gear is the correct gear is to listen to the car. I used to drive a Micra which was geared very low, so I could take most corners in second or third. I now drive a Cavi which is geared very high, so for corners the average car could take in second, I sometimes have to pop it down to first.

As I said, just listen to the car. If you are idling the engine a lot it means you’re taking corners in to high a gear.

> Icarus wrote:
> I need to know: when you stop before a turn, do you put the gear
> into first or second like the instructor tells me to? I always stall in
> second, yet he says that it's the optimum gear for taking corners.

This confused me. When ever you come to a complete stop, you always put it into first, unless you’re driving the new Aston Martin, which can start off in forth and do 0-135mph in 1 gear…now there’s a party trick.
Thu 17/07/03 at 15:26
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
A turn into a new road should be taken in either 1st or 2nd, if you have to stop because you a waiting for oncoming traffic then obviously 1st gear. Also if you are turning into a road where you have a poor view of the road you are turning into then you should again use 1st gear.
Thu 17/07/03 at 15:19
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Icarus wrote:
> I need to know: when you stop before a turn, do you put the gear into
> first or second like the instructor tells me to? I always stall in
> second, yet he says that it's the optimum gear for taking corners.

You should always use 2nd gear for taking corners, unless its a fairly wide corner, in which case you can get away with a slow 3rd gear.
Thu 17/07/03 at 14:14
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Solskjær wrote:
> The "3rd Gear Wonder" - that's what he's started calling me,
> now! :)
> Simply because I don't see the need for 4th Gear when doing just-under
> 30mph on a 30mph-Limit road - even though it apparently "saves
> wear-and-tear on your engine; saves fuel; and is kinder to the
> enviroment".

This is true, just so long as you don’t idle the engine, which is bad for it. It’s much the same as when you’re at traffic lights, if you pop in into neutral and take your foot off the clutch until it’s time to go, this is also good for the engine.

It just means if you go from a 30 to a 60 zone, you may need to change down a gear to get any kind of acceleration away.

Oh, and if he is only just about to book your test you should still have a fair while to wait. I had to wait 4 months for the soonest available test date, so I ended up not doing any driving for about 2 and a half months and then got back to it just before the test. It’s amazing how you just don’t forget how to do it, like riding a bike.
Thu 17/07/03 at 14:14
I need to know: when you stop before a turn, do you put the gear into first or second like the instructor tells me to? I always stall in second, yet he says that it's the optimum gear for taking corners.
Thu 17/07/03 at 12:11
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Had my 22nd lesson yesterday - which, last week, my intructor told me would be another mock test - and I'm really started to get frustrated, now...

I had a good lesson (aside from the odd misunderstanding of a situation, here-and-there) as my manouveres have improved vastly, and - surprisingly - I'm not starting to drive slower, rather than faster, and at much "safer" speed, no matter what roads I'm on!

The "3rd Gear Wonder" - that's what he's started calling me, now! :)
Simply because I don't see the need for 4th Gear when doing just-under 30mph on a 30mph-Limit road - even though it apparently "saves wear-and-tear on your engine; saves fuel; and is kinder to the enviroment".

Oh, well.

He still hasn't told me to book my test yet, though.
He says there's still a little work to be done - mainly to do with my appropriate changing of the gears at the right time, and checking my mirrors more often when approachinga hazard and moving-off after dealing with one.

I remember, yesterday, there was the one bit down this narrow street in Clifton where there were cars parked on either-side, and some lorry was awkwardly parked like it was in the middle of a 3-point turn, so the workers could do the job easily... Between the back of that lorry and those parked cars on the left, I would've never thought there was enough space in-between the 2 for even a litle Polo!

I would never have driven through there is he hadn't told me to - I hope nothing like that EVER comes-up in my test, or I'll fail!! :S

If I can do that without his guidance, how the heck can I NOT be ready for my test, yet?!?!?

He said he'll e-mail me some info. on booking the test this week, though.
Thu 10/07/03 at 12:46
Regular
I have some advice. Just do a burnout!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.