GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Developers thinking twice due to GC poor performance."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 10:56
Regular
It would appear that developers are getting increasingly concerned at the way the Gamecube has cemented it's place as the 3rd console of choice and it's poor performance.

Sega recently shelved all it's GC sports titles in development due to poor performance of its GC titles.

Now one of the big hitters THQ has thrown doubt on the viability of developing for the Gamecube due to the more expensive (non standard discs) developement costs, but mostly to do with the GC continued poor performance particularly compared to the PS2.

Quote taken form Gamepro.com

"Our GameCube portfolio did not perform up to expectations," CEO Brian Farrell said during the conference call. "In response to this, we have reduced the number of products in development for the GameCube platform."
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:45
"Darkness, always"
Update2.01 wrote:
> PS2
> launched in 2000. USB & Firewire were about 2 years old. DVD was
> first seen in 1997 - and was certainly not common place until
> 2000/2001. I think thats flippin good going for a console!

Considering that Consoles have a history of developing custom technology to run their machine rather than filling it with a load of crap you'd expect to see in a TV/VCR combi, I'd say it's rather poor.
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:48
Regular
BEARDS. wrote:
> USB and firewire are PC tech. Anything that's 2 years old is nearing
> archaic.

O, so what like are all new computers shipping with then......

O look a digital camera - brand new - lets see what connection it has, OOOoooo, USB.
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:50
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Update2.01 wrote:
> PS2
> launched in 2000. USB & Firewire were about 2 years old. DVD was
> first seen in 1997 - and was certainly not common place until
> 2000/2001. I think thats flippin good going for a console!
>
>
> Considering that Consoles have a history of developing custom
> technology to run their machine rather than filling it with a load of
> crap you'd expect to see in a TV/VCR combi, I'd say it's rather poor.

This is getting silly. I can't remember ever seeing a TV/VCR combi with USB and FireWire connections.
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:51
Regular
Update2.01 wrote:
> Rickoss wrote:

As for the PS2, what have we got to look forward to?
More and more sequals? Another platformer (Sly Racoon? Come on!).

Firstly I wouldn't say I see anymore Sony PS2 advertising than Nintendo, and to be quite honest Sony doesn't need to because the brand is so recognisable like say Coca Cola they don't need to advertise.

Secondly sequel after sequel that's rich hipocrit, Zelda sequel, Resident evil a cheap remake however sequel on the way, Mario sequel of a sequel of a sequel of a sequel getting boring yet. Oh there is Pikmin 2 sorry another sequel. If GC games aren't sequels they are mainly cheap PS2 ports like burnout and nfs that PS2 gamers have been playing for months sorry we are on Burnout2.
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:51
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Have you ever used your USB or firewire ports?
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:52
"Darkness, always"
Update2.01 wrote:
> This is getting silly. I can't remember ever seeing a TV/VCR combi
> with USB and FireWire connections.

You mean, you've never seen a TV that had any use for them?
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:53
"Darkness, always"
Update2.01 wrote:
> O look a digital camera - brand new - lets see what connection it has,
> OOOoooo, USB.

Are you implying that you want to plug your digital camera into your PS2, display photos on a massively downgraded resolution and print them off on the peripheral Inkjet that you don't have?
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:54
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Have you ever used your USB or firewire ports?

Yes!
Got a light gun which plugs into the PS2 USB sockets.
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:57
Regular
"bit of a brain"
But that's just poor design. The lightgun could fit into a controller socket, if there were more than 2.
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:57
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Update2.01 wrote:
> O look a digital camera - brand new - lets see what connection it
> has,
> OOOoooo, USB.
>
> Are you implying that you want to plug your digital camera into your
> PS2, display photos on a massively downgraded resolution and print
> them off on the peripheral Inkjet that you don't have?

The print quality would be dependant on the printer. Anyway this is precisely what Gates has planned for XBox 2.0. Consoles are becoming "home entertainment" systems proper so that includes things like camera print outs, video phone on tv, MP3 music library, internet access, and so on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.