GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Developers thinking twice due to GC poor performance."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 10:56
Regular
It would appear that developers are getting increasingly concerned at the way the Gamecube has cemented it's place as the 3rd console of choice and it's poor performance.

Sega recently shelved all it's GC sports titles in development due to poor performance of its GC titles.

Now one of the big hitters THQ has thrown doubt on the viability of developing for the Gamecube due to the more expensive (non standard discs) developement costs, but mostly to do with the GC continued poor performance particularly compared to the PS2.

Quote taken form Gamepro.com

"Our GameCube portfolio did not perform up to expectations," CEO Brian Farrell said during the conference call. "In response to this, we have reduced the number of products in development for the GameCube platform."
Wed 26/02/03 at 10:56
Regular
It would appear that developers are getting increasingly concerned at the way the Gamecube has cemented it's place as the 3rd console of choice and it's poor performance.

Sega recently shelved all it's GC sports titles in development due to poor performance of its GC titles.

Now one of the big hitters THQ has thrown doubt on the viability of developing for the Gamecube due to the more expensive (non standard discs) developement costs, but mostly to do with the GC continued poor performance particularly compared to the PS2.

Quote taken form Gamepro.com

"Our GameCube portfolio did not perform up to expectations," CEO Brian Farrell said during the conference call. "In response to this, we have reduced the number of products in development for the GameCube platform."
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:04
"Darkness, always"
THQ GC portfolio:

BattleBots
Dark Summit
Hot Wheels Velocity X
Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius
Monsters, Inc. Scream Arena
MX Superfly featuring Ricky Carmichael
Rocket Power Beach Bandits
Rugrats Royal Ransom
Scooby Doo!™ Night of 100 Frights
SpongeBob Squarepants Revenge of the Flying Dutchman
Summoner®: A Goddess Reborn
Tetris Worlds
WWE ® Wrestlemania X8

And "coming soon" (or hopefully not):

Finding Nemo
Rocket Power Zero Gravity Zone
SpongeBob SquarePants
Tak and the Power of the Juj
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius: Jet Fusion
WWE™ Crush Hour™

Now, please tell me, other than Tetris Worlds, which of these titles did they expect to get major sales?
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:04
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Go to http://www.thq.co.uk/ and tell me that there's a decent game shown there.
So what if THQ aren't realeasing as many GC games, big deal, no more Jimmy Neutron, Rugrats and Hot Wheels games for the Gamecube.

Where will the Gamecube be without Rugrats games? Better off I think.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:12
Regular
Just think what kind of message this sends to other GC developers and the game industry. Not a good sign.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:13
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:

Now, please tell me, other than Tetris Worlds, which of these titles
did they expect to get major sales?

Obviously none of them due to the Gamecube pathetic
installed user base.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:19
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Touché.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:20
Regular
Their games got less sales than expected. They never said they're thinking twice about developing for the Cube.

Looking at the THQ games released on Cube, it's no wonder that the mediocre crap that they so happily call games is not selling.

It seems to me that the developers who are getting a bit scared are the ones releasing the mediocre toss. Someone needs to tell them that their games won't sell unless they're actually fun to play. They might sell on other consoles but the majority of Cube owners are hardcore gamers who actually do a bit of research into the games they buy and wont plump for mediocre toss just because it has a big license stuck on the front.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:21
"Darkness, always"
Top score wrote:
> Obviously none of them due to the Gamecube pathetic
> installed user base.

I'm sorry, but if you produce games that are essentially nothing more than chaff, then the only console you can expect to sell them on is the PS2.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:23
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
The latsest NGC has a review of THQ's awful Jimmy Neutron game, tis' a funny one.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:26
Regular
It is a wonder why someone who criticises so heavily owns an old, mouldy, out-of-date PS2 that got boring after the 40th game spewed onto the market not long after release.

GameCube has huge potential, as does XBox, but the PS2 is far too boring and lacks any kind of excitement.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.