GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Developers thinking twice due to GC poor performance."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 10:56
Regular
It would appear that developers are getting increasingly concerned at the way the Gamecube has cemented it's place as the 3rd console of choice and it's poor performance.

Sega recently shelved all it's GC sports titles in development due to poor performance of its GC titles.

Now one of the big hitters THQ has thrown doubt on the viability of developing for the Gamecube due to the more expensive (non standard discs) developement costs, but mostly to do with the GC continued poor performance particularly compared to the PS2.

Quote taken form Gamepro.com

"Our GameCube portfolio did not perform up to expectations," CEO Brian Farrell said during the conference call. "In response to this, we have reduced the number of products in development for the GameCube platform."
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:59
"Darkness, always"
Update2.01 wrote:
> As for out of date, where is DD5.1, DTS, DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD,
> CD-ROM, USB, FireWire on a GameCube.

Why are any of these relevant to a machine designed to play games? If the GameCube were a half-hearted attempt to create a low-end all round entertainment system, then it might need those features. It's not, so it doesn't.

The PS2 on the other hand...
Wed 26/02/03 at 12:04
"For the horde!!!!"
Rickoss wrote:
> but the PS2 is far too
> boring and lacks any kind of excitement.

are you for real! just because it's out selling the GC you curse it.
There are many great games out for the PS2 and many more on the way.
Wed 26/02/03 at 12:07
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Shadow Knight wrote:
> There are many great games out for the PS2 and many more on the way.

Such as?

:P
Wed 26/02/03 at 12:14
Regular
Shadow Knight wrote:
> are you for real! just because it's out selling the GC you curse it.

Why would I care about sales? I don't get money.

The PS2 is perfect for a casual gamer, because of the amount of games on the market, but for someone like Top Score to criticise the XBox and GC is absurd. They are far superior consoles.

As for the PS2, what have we got to look forward to?

More and more sequals? Another platformer (Sly Racoon? Come on!).

The only reason the PS2 sells so well is because of its apparent head start and the fact that Sony invest in heavy advertising.
Wed 26/02/03 at 12:15
"Darkness, always"
Shadow Knight wrote:
> are you for real! just because it's out selling the GC you curse it.

Actually, I've slated the PS2 since it's launch...
Wed 26/02/03 at 12:16
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?
Wed 26/02/03 at 12:26
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Shadow Knight wrote:
>are you for real! just because it's out selling the GC you curse it. There
> are many great games out for the PS2 and many more on the way.

Your point being? Each to his own, I say. Horses for courses, one man's meat is another man's poison...and other equally bizarre cliches.

The question to ask yourself is what games DO YOU WANT for your system? If they exist for another system, then you have to think about purchasing that particular console. Until then, you can wax lyrical until you're blue in the face, you can pontificate until the cows come home and you can gesticulate while the whole world crumbles about you.

It will not affect anything at all. It won't make a micron of difference.

So, to Top Score, thanks for posting facts that I had already read. It matter not what you or I think.
Wed 26/02/03 at 13:47
Regular
I have a ps2, and I think gcs are much better.
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:20
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I have a PS2 and a GC, and I can safely say, I haven't played my PS2 in weeks.

GameCube has a wealth of great games out now, and many lined up for the future, while PS2's games are now just crap like the 10th Tomb Raider, the 20th Gran Turismo and the 650th Final Fantasy game, and it's all just getting a little boring now.

And don't try and say Nintendo use Mario in too many games - well, maybe they do, but his games are all different - there is always something different to do, and the games can be in loads of different forms. This isn't the case with the PS2 updates - FIFA games are exactly the same every year, Final Fantasy games just always seem to be the same, and Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3 and Concept have all been the same game, and I'm expecting GT4 to be just like that too. And don't give me any crap about Vice City - what a load of utter tosh! GTA3 was good, and I'll give Rockstar that, but Vice City is just the same game over again, except this time it's set in Miami.

The PS2 is a system that is bought by some stupid kids following a trend - "ooh, my friend has a PS2, and I don't even know what it does, but can I get one?!?!?" - and then every stupid little child follows that path, and the PS2 user base gets bigger.

GameCube - good console with good games.
PS2 - crap console with boring games.

PS2 sells more, due to that stupid little trend explained above - it's a funny old world.
Wed 26/02/03 at 16:21
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> Update2.01 wrote:
> As for out of date, where is DD5.1, DTS, DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD,
> CD-ROM, USB, FireWire on a GameCube.
>
> Do you think I care about that? I'm talking about games. All I seem to
> see is another GTA game and loads of generic platformers flooding the
> market, also the occasional footy game. It gets very old very fast.

Well you did say......
"It is a wonder why someone who criticises so heavily owns an old, mouldy, out-of-date PS2 that got boring after the 40th game spewed onto the market not long after release.

GameCube has huge potential, as does XBox, but the PS2 is far too boring and lacks any kind of excitement."

What about that "old, mouldy, out-of-date PS2" line.

After I crushed the GC for lack of even half of the tech on the PS2, you changed the subject to "the games".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.