GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Developers thinking twice due to GC poor performance."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 10:56
Regular
It would appear that developers are getting increasingly concerned at the way the Gamecube has cemented it's place as the 3rd console of choice and it's poor performance.

Sega recently shelved all it's GC sports titles in development due to poor performance of its GC titles.

Now one of the big hitters THQ has thrown doubt on the viability of developing for the Gamecube due to the more expensive (non standard discs) developement costs, but mostly to do with the GC continued poor performance particularly compared to the PS2.

Quote taken form Gamepro.com

"Our GameCube portfolio did not perform up to expectations," CEO Brian Farrell said during the conference call. "In response to this, we have reduced the number of products in development for the GameCube platform."
Thu 27/02/03 at 15:04
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Updated wrote:
and people don't want to keep changing discs over in this day and age. So switching discs is detrimental to the game play. Made worse when there is a format like dvd-rom that can hold more data so avoiding the problem.

But it's not detrimental to the GAMEPLAY in any way or form.
Thu 27/02/03 at 15:03
"Darkness, always"
Updated wrote:
> Just a thought, why is IB around so much at the moment? Thought IB was
> going away and just looking in from time to time.

I got over my depression. Thanks for asking.
Thu 27/02/03 at 15:02
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I get the feeling that his work is quite unfulfilling but he'll never pass up the chance to comment on moronic statements devoid of any logic...or semblance of reason.
Thu 27/02/03 at 15:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Example.

Resident Evil.

I change ONCE. Near the end. Done.

Baldurs Gate - PC! GOOD GOD! 7 CDs.

Change every 15 minutes. Fine. Its still a great game.
Thu 27/02/03 at 15:00
Regular
Yeh IB you said you were going away. You said it around X-mas didn't you?
Thu 27/02/03 at 14:59
Regular
Just a thought, why is IB around so much at the moment? Thought IB was going away and just looking in from time to time.
Thu 27/02/03 at 14:55
Regular
Swap disks ocassionally or play crap games?

I can't think which one i'd choose.
Thu 27/02/03 at 14:53
"Darkness, always"
So you got peeved playing pretty much every FF game in history?

I hope for your sake you never played Monkey Island on the Amiga.
Thu 27/02/03 at 14:52
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Update2.01 wrote:
> Who wants a game over 2 discs (GC), if it's possible to put it on a
> single disc (PS2 or XBox DVD-ROM).
>
>
> I'm going to keep on asking you this question until you actually
> answer it you vacuous simpleton. What difference does that make to the
> gameplay of the game?

I would be well peed of if I had to change the disc mid way through a game. Remember VCD? Apart from the lower quality than DVD, the main reason it failed was because most films were to large to fit on a single VCD disc - and people don't want to keep changing discs over in this day and age. So switching discs is detrimental to the game play. Made worse when there is a format like dvd-rom that can hold more data so avoiding the problem.
Thu 27/02/03 at 14:34
"Darkness, always"
Update2.01 wrote:
> Who wants a game over 2 discs (GC), if it's possible to put it on a
> single disc (PS2 or XBox DVD-ROM).

I'm going to keep on asking you this question until you actually answer it you vacuous simpleton. What difference does that make to the gameplay of the game?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.