GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Developers thinking twice due to GC poor performance."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 10:56
Regular
It would appear that developers are getting increasingly concerned at the way the Gamecube has cemented it's place as the 3rd console of choice and it's poor performance.

Sega recently shelved all it's GC sports titles in development due to poor performance of its GC titles.

Now one of the big hitters THQ has thrown doubt on the viability of developing for the Gamecube due to the more expensive (non standard discs) developement costs, but mostly to do with the GC continued poor performance particularly compared to the PS2.

Quote taken form Gamepro.com

"Our GameCube portfolio did not perform up to expectations," CEO Brian Farrell said during the conference call. "In response to this, we have reduced the number of products in development for the GameCube platform."
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:33
Regular
Doesn't matter which games are getting the axe, what matters is that any games are getting the axe. True from a playability side, it doesn't make much difference (if you think the games are @rap), but it does matter to other developers and the public. It's an indicator of how the GC is struggling to survive. Back in the N64/PS1 days, Nintendo only had to face Sony's PS1. Today they have to fight it out with Sony and Microsoft for market share.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:39
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> It is a wonder why someone who criticises so heavily owns an old,
> mouldy, out-of-date PS2 that got boring after the 40th game spewed
> onto the market not long after release.
>
> GameCube has huge potential, as does XBox, but the PS2 is far too
> boring and lacks any kind of excitement.

Strange how most of the population thinks otherwise. If you are right, and PS2 is really that bad, then no amount of commercials would persuade people to buy it. But what the real world shows us is that PS2 is still good, and people (for the most part) are happy with it.

As for out of date, where is DD5.1, DTS, DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD, CD-ROM, USB, FireWire on a GameCube.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:40
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Well it'll mean there are less rubbish game out for the GC. Good. THQ is a bad developer - in the days of the SNES and Megadrive they produced horrible squalid excuses for games that were greeted by universal opprobrium for the gaming world. As they are now.

And, to be fair, Sega sports titles were never going to set the world alight were they?
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:40
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
A lot will depend on how the public reacts to great games like Metroid and Zelda. If the games get the justice they deserve, they will sell by the bucketload and give the Gamecube a healthy boost in the sales department like in the US, but if those big titles get ignored by the public (who we know are mostly idiots) then Nintendo may have problems.
I guess we'll have to wait and see how well the big games perform.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:44
Regular
Hold on, doesn't THQ bring us RedFaction 2? I might be wrong on this one - can't remember for sure.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:45
Regular
Update2.01 wrote:
> As for out of date, where is DD5.1, DTS, DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD,
> CD-ROM, USB, FireWire on a GameCube.

Do you think I care about that? I'm talking about games. All I seem to see is another GTA game and loads of generic platformers flooding the market, also the occasional footy game. It gets very old very fast.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:49
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Update2.01 wrote:
It's an indicator of
> how the GC is struggling to survive. Back in the N64/PS1 days,
> Nintendo only had to face Sony's PS1. Today they have to fight it out
> with Sony and Microsoft for market share.

GC is not struggling to survive. If I remember correcly, of Sony, MS and Ninty, Nintendo was the company to make the most profit from their console last year...
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:52
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Update2.01 wrote:
> Just think what kind of message this sends to other GC developers and
> the game industry.

Don't develop crap games because they don't sell...? Sorry, I should rephrase that. Don't develop crap games unless they have a Fifa/Blockbuster movie license because they don't sell.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:54
"Darkness, always"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Well it'll mean there are less rubbish game out for the GC. Good. THQ
> is a bad developer - in the days of the SNES and Megadrive they
> produced horrible squalid excuses for games that were greeted by
> universal opprobrium for the gaming world. As they are now.

Superb use of the word of the week. You win a cookie.
Wed 26/02/03 at 11:57
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Rickoss wrote:
> Update2.01 wrote:
> As for out of date, where is DD5.1, DTS, DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD,
> CD-ROM, USB, FireWire on a GameCube.
>
> Do you think I care about that? I'm talking about games. All I seem to
> see is another GTA game and loads of generic platformers flooding the
> market, also the occasional footy game. It gets very old very fast.

Agreed. Excuse me, but I have a Hi-fi, DVD player and a PC that can do all of that. And with better quality, too!

SO ner.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.