GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Developers thinking twice due to GC poor performance."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 10:56
Regular
It would appear that developers are getting increasingly concerned at the way the Gamecube has cemented it's place as the 3rd console of choice and it's poor performance.

Sega recently shelved all it's GC sports titles in development due to poor performance of its GC titles.

Now one of the big hitters THQ has thrown doubt on the viability of developing for the Gamecube due to the more expensive (non standard discs) developement costs, but mostly to do with the GC continued poor performance particularly compared to the PS2.

Quote taken form Gamepro.com

"Our GameCube portfolio did not perform up to expectations," CEO Brian Farrell said during the conference call. "In response to this, we have reduced the number of products in development for the GameCube platform."
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:36
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Updated wrote:
> Wrong, wrong, wrong. N64 carts were avaliable in 2 forms. Low capacity
> = 128Mb. High capacity = 256Mb. PSX CD-ROM = 660Mb.

Right, right, right. I know the PSX discs can hold more data than the N64 carts. I simply said you never had to swap carts for an N64 game. Try reading what I say.

> Ever noticed why N64 games had such poor audio and FMV compared with
> MPEG video quality on PSX FMV.

Ever notice how many N64 games used FMVs...? Erm... Resi Evil 2... that's it I think...

> How do you know that on N64, you wouldn't need to swap carts for FF7,
> 8, 9, and MGS? These games were not on N64.

You would have had to swap carts for those games on the N64. As you said, PSX discs could hold more than N64 carts. My point that you so blatantly missed was that I'll bet you weren't complaining about changing discs back in the day of the PSX with the FF games and MGS (and probably a fair amount of other PSX games I'm not aware of that used multiple discs). The only reason you're trying (and failing) to make changing discs an issue now is because it's something you have to do on a rival console.
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:23
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Wasn't Resi 2 on 512mb?

Just wondering.
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:20
Regular
Sibs wrote:
> Updated wrote:
> But you
> can't seriously think that it wouldn't be any better on a higher
> capacity disc without the need to "swap" the disc over.
>
> That's the whole point! It WON'T be any better on PS2 or Xbox because
> of no need to swap discs. It will make no difference to the game
> whatsoever! Also, FF7, 8 and 9 and Metal Gear Solid. All games you had
> to swap discs for on the PSX. But the N64 had no games where you had
> to swap carts. Therefore every game on the N64 is better than the FF
> seris and MGS on PSX. Becuase for those games you had to change discs.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. N64 carts were avaliable in 2 forms. Low capacity = 128Mb. High capacity = 256Mb. PSX CD-ROM = 660Mb.

Ever noticed why N64 games had such poor audio and FMV compared with MPEG video quality on PSX FMV.

How do you know that on N64, you wouldn't need to swap carts for FF7, 8, 9, and MGS? These games were not on N64.
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:17
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Cyclone wrote:
> I agree totaly Sibs.
> I might have to remove my drip of beer before moving.
> Unthinkable.

LOL
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:14
Regular
Parr wrote:
> If they can fit huge games such as Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers
> and Splinter Cell on a Gamecube disc no problem, then I think that
> illustrates the fact that the huge 4Gb discs are going to waste.

What about the Matrix? Thats going to be 2 or 3 GC discs - not my words - read the earlier posts.

And we don't for sure yet about Splinter Cell
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:13
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I have no problem with swapping discs around, really, you just open the CD cover, take one disc out put the other one in, simple. I could understand how some people would find this a problem, in particular the lazy and the clinically obese, but it's not a huge problem is it?
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:13
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Updated wrote:
But you
> can't seriously think that it wouldn't be any better on a higher
> capacity disc without the need to "swap" the disc over.

That's the whole point! It WON'T be any better on PS2 or Xbox because of no need to swap discs. It will make no difference to the game whatsoever! Also, FF7, 8 and 9 and Metal Gear Solid. All games you had to swap discs for on the PSX. But the N64 had no games where you had to swap carts. Therefore every game on the N64 is better than the FF seris and MGS on PSX. Becuase for those games you had to change discs.
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:04
Regular
"^_^"
If they can fit huge games such as Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers and Splinter Cell on a Gamecube disc no problem, then I think that illustrates the fact that the huge 4Gb discs are going to waste.
Fri 28/02/03 at 14:56
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Point is Updated, it makes NO SODDING DIFFERENCE!
Fri 28/02/03 at 14:55
"Darkness, always"
GTA:VC hardly justifies using 4GB. That's just lazy coding.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.