GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Daily Gaming Chat - the latest and greatest (and the rest)..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/11/11 at 10:42
"Are you sure?"
Welcome to Freeola's Daily Gaming Chat!
Post your Gaming gossip and comments here...

Overheard

...Super Mario Land 3D reviews have scored higher (from IGN and EuroGamer at least) than both MW3 and BF3.

*Remember...*
You can Win Free Games here on Freeola just by chatting, reviewing or adding game cheats and walkthroughs!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Page:
Sun 27/11/11 at 00:07
Regular
McLong wrote:
Staying on the topic of review scores, Skyrim has notched up a 96/100 average, which is pretty impressive to say the least.

Still not sure whether I should buy it or not though.

Absolutely you should play it.

Should you buy it at £37.99 though?

The current situation with video game pricing is alarming.

With a very few notable exceptions (and those exceptions are Wii games, family games, kids games, FIFA and Call of Duty), video games sell for one week - maybe two - and then die.

This is actually become a big issue. Even a few years ago, the big blockbuster titles would sell for four or five weeks before sales dropped off significantly.

There are a loads of reasons why this is happening, and I won't write them here because it will take too long.

But the result of games falling away after two weeks is that prices are falling. Even faster than they were a year ago.

Take Deus Ex. Big game. Reviewed very well. Sold some 200k units in its first weekend. That is all at the price of £39.99 or what have you.

This week you can find it for just over a tenner.

Skyrim is one of very, very few games I don't own at the moment. And it did very well at launch - far better than I expected in a Call of Duty release window. And it did good business week two.

But Bethesda flooded stock into the channel. So I personally expect the game to drop in price in a few weeks or so. Perhaps show up in a few pre-Christmas deals. £25 is my target price.

I will have a better idea if Skyrim might survive the 'curse of week 2' when I see its week 3 numbers tomorrow. If the numbers are good. The price might hold firm for a bit longer.

Don't get me wrong, the game is already a massive success. It's just if you've not bought it yet and are unsure. Perhaps wait a little to see how retail reacts with the price.

Perhaps give Blockbuster a go. They are letting you rent for £5 for five nights. And if you like it after five nights, you can extend for just a £1 a night or even buy it and they will refund the £5. Although Blockbuster tend to be a little more pricey than the supermarkets and online retailers.
Sat 26/11/11 at 01:45
Regular
"How Ironic"
I concur Nin, San Andreas did indeed suck. The whole ghetto image of the entire game ticked me off. I would've much preferred a continuation of the characters of GTA 3 and Vice City. Vice City, beyond all question, is the best GTA. SA and GTA IV just seemed like attempts to involve different nationalities or lifestyles (ie. SA was all about retarded 'street cred' and 'the hood', which I couldn't care less about, while GTA IV's story just appeared out of nowhere).

To the original question, no I wouldn't buy a HD version, as I have my PS2 copy of Vice City, as well as GTA 3 on the shelf.
Fri 25/11/11 at 23:04
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Grandprix wrote:
A question for you all.

GTA Vice City will be 10 years old around October/November 2012. Would you buy a HD remake of the game if all they did was overhaul the graphics to HD? Also bear in mind the possibility of GTA5 landing at that time (although I'm not sure of the release date for that).

All the HD remakes so far have only been minor graphical upgrades, if they wanted to remake it properly from the ground up then possibly because I loved Vice City but otherwise no.
I was very disappointed when GTA V got set in San Andreas instead of Vice City. San Andreas sucked.
Fri 25/11/11 at 00:20
Regular
I would, if I had never played the original. I wouldn't buy a game I have already finished. Me and my bro played through VC together and I can still remember it quite clearly.

Show Spoiler

@Dragonlance

want to join our gang? :¬)

What is the initiation pledge for joining? Hopefully none of these :P

Here
Thu 24/11/11 at 20:27
Regular
No. If a game is still as playable as it was then I wouldn't support a remake.
Thu 24/11/11 at 19:59
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
A question for you all.

GTA Vice City will be 10 years old around October/November 2012. Would you buy a HD remake of the game if all they did was overhaul the graphics to HD? Also bear in mind the possibility of GTA5 landing at that time (although I'm not sure of the release date for that).
Thu 24/11/11 at 19:34
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
Feel really bad for mentioning that now DL, sorry mate.

We seem to have more money going out than comes in these days so we too are going to have a seriously streamlined Christmas this year.

Looks like we've hijacked the gaming thread now, seem to be making a habit out of this! :)

Don't you worry about that pete, Christmas will be the same for many people for many reasons....for us it'll just be different but no worries :¬) As for taking over the thread ... that's us :¬D

@Davidm4

If anyone asks, you were both talking about the sims.

Brilliant idea ... want to join our gang? :¬)
Thu 24/11/11 at 19:28
Regular
I really want to play Skyward Sword, urgh. Have to go to London to pick up my wii
Thu 24/11/11 at 17:30
Regular
pete_21 wrote:
[i]We seem to have more money going out than comes in these days so we too are going to have a seriously streamlined Christmas this year.

Looks like we've hijacked the gaming thread now[i]

If anyone asks, you were both talking about the sims.
Thu 24/11/11 at 16:57
Regular
"I like turtles"
Feel really bad for mentioning that now DL, sorry mate.

We seem to have more money going out than comes in these days so we too are going to have a seriously streamlined Christmas this year.

Looks like we've hijacked the gaming thread now, seem to be making a habit out of this! :)
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.