GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Daily Gaming Chat - the latest and greatest (and the rest)..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/11/11 at 10:42
"Are you sure?"
Welcome to Freeola's Daily Gaming Chat!
Post your Gaming gossip and comments here...

Overheard

...Super Mario Land 3D reviews have scored higher (from IGN and EuroGamer at least) than both MW3 and BF3.

*Remember...*
You can Win Free Games here on Freeola just by chatting, reviewing or adding game cheats and walkthroughs!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Page:
Sun 29/01/12 at 21:39
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
It's a decent enough lecture. Had some where the content was less than that...

It's a shame as if they make the films properly 3D I can really see the potential. Everything looks like 2D cut outs at different distances and very few films use it to demonstrate things flying at you.

I watched Tron Legacy in 3D and that was a clever use of the technology - keeping lots in 2D but suddenly throwing 3D at you when entering the Tron universe. The Darkest Hour wasn't too bad either, but still felt the 3D was lacking.

As for the Phantom Menace, think I will watch it. I actually enjoyed it (first star wars film I ever watched) and did say to my partner "we're watching that"...
Sun 29/01/12 at 21:17
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sonic Chris wrote:
Apart from that, they've invented an extremely useful tool which allows old films to be re-released! Extraordinary.

Are you referring to the re-release of Star Wars Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace in glorious 3D Chris? Be very interesting to see if the extra dimension can reduce how much it sucked.
Sun 29/01/12 at 20:50
Regular
"How Ironic"
There's this incredible thing called life, I believe that's supposed to feature 3D. Apart from that, they've invented an extremely useful tool which allows old films to be re-released! Extraordinary.
Sun 29/01/12 at 18:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
HM wrote:
As for your lecture...stun me (just did the same to you no doubt!). Do you think a lot of films are using it just as a gimmick?

Yeah, that's exactly what I think mate, I am totally sick of the 3D fad. Last year I saw a few mediocre films such as The Green Lantern and Fright Night which had been quite obviously hastily converted in post production. Even in TT3D : Closer To the Edge which was the best film of 2011 for me the 3D added absolutely nothing, at times I actually found it a distraction from the content. I am yet to see a single feature film where I thought that 3D has added anything whatsoever (and yes I did see Avatar in the cinema and I thought that sucked as well!). Not much of lecture really was it?
Sun 29/01/12 at 16:34
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
You'd think that...but Binocular Vision is just a nightmare - the 3D concept is rather simple in all fairness and just lies upon each eye seeing different images (well the same thing displaced from each other) by varying degrees to give it perceived depth. Very clever manipulation of the visual system really.

It's what happens when one eye isn't seeing what it is meant to (i.e. lazy eye/turn in the eye), if the brain decides not to pay attention to one eye and a whole host of other things along those lines - that's where it becomes really complicated...

However, interestingly the fact not everyone can see in 3D means that the cinema is beginning to do part of my future job for me...bonus!

As for your lecture...stun me (just did the same to you no doubt!). Do you think a lot of films are using it just as a gimmick?
Sun 29/01/12 at 15:53
Regular
"I like turtles"
HM wrote:
(btw, love your avatar - just had a semester on binocular vision and stereopsis/3D)

I bet that was actually really interesting, was that explaining how these visions are interpreted by your brain to create the illusion of 3D? I could probably give a lecture on how I feel that 3D is mainly being used to lure gullible people to go and see godawful films like Shark Night if you want? :)
Sun 29/01/12 at 13:06
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Thanks Pete, glad to be back.

I'm not sure why I did download - perhaps it coincided with the fact I wanted the game and couldn't find themin the shops, couldn't wait for online delivery or the pre-owned was more expensive (laugh...it was Toy Story 3 and Assassins Creed Brotherhood...). I don't think I'll be downloading again in the future though.

50GB?? So far out of touch with the real gaming world at the moment (My 360 is more used for LoveFilm Instant and 4oD at the moment) but I'm expecting great things on the next gen.

(btw, love your avatar - just had a semester on binocular vision and stereopsis/3D)
Sun 29/01/12 at 12:40
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hi Jason, good to see you around here again mate.

The full games from XBL marketplace are very expensive when they should really be cheaper than buying a retail copy as there is no manufacturing process involved and no retailer to pay. Coupled with the fact that you can't sell/trade the game on when you're done with it makes this an unattractive option for me. With the forthcoming Xbox console apparently having games stored on BD discs they could be anything up to 50GB in size, so unless internet connections improve massively over the next couple of years I can't see downloading the games being a viable option for most on the forthcoming console. You're right about the rental market, if the rumours are true it would be the end of that.
Sun 29/01/12 at 11:29
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
No second hand games? Not good! Will just have to wait until the games go down in price.

I agree with this green issue it would cause. What good are all these games that lose interest to you going to be on your shelf when someone could be playing them? It'd just be a bin-job.

I'm guessing this wouldn't only affect the high street but also rental companies such as Blockbuster and LoveFilm etc. If nobody can try before they buy then sales probably will decrease.

I have downloaded a few full games from the marketplace and now I've completed them I feel like there is nothing left to do with them and thus wasted my money (and harddrive space/bandwidth). Wish I could trade them, but can't...plus they cost more than if I had waited to buy them pre-owned...

It'll be a bad move by Micro$oft if you ask me, as people just won't be able to afford to game.
Thu 26/01/12 at 19:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
Plus, it would be counter-productive to green issues, with no way to recycle old games once they are completed.

True, unless Microsoft are looking towards some kind of system similar to the current online passes to play the actual game?
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.