GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why am I not interested in Xbox Live?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/07/03 at 09:12
Regular
I'm not bothered about it, but I'm beginning to question why not.

I truly don't like first person shooter frag fests - running around in circles blasting, blasting, blasting - gives me a headache.
I'm not that bothered about racing cars around circuits and coming first, coming last, whatever.

So I'm not interested. Should I be? Am I missing out?
Do I have a blinkered view of the whole online gaming thing?

I don't think I'll ever sign up. Maybe a massive online RPG will sway me like Star Wars Galaxies....? - but it probably won't.

Shooting and racing - that's all I see, and that's not enough to get me interested.
Sun 03/08/03 at 22:10
Regular
Best reply's in this thread?

Dark Marks and Mantis's.

Good chaps. Summed up the service nicely and I REALLY want Live now.

*jealous*
Sun 03/08/03 at 21:36
Regular
I'm kinda interested - though I'll need more PC equipment first to connect me Xbox to broadband.

I need a few more live enabled games and spare time (which you don't get when working 3 jobs 7 days a week) first though.
Sun 03/08/03 at 21:25
Regular
"Remember me?"
In my opinion, any XBox owner who does have broadband really needs to sign up for XBox Live if they haven't already done so. When I first got my XBox, I wasn't really all that interested in it, as the only online gaming I'd ever sampled before was Quake III Arena on the Dreamcast (an excellent game but the lack of broadband made it literally impossible to play online due to monstrous amounts of lag) and a few real-time strategy games on the PC, a genre I'm not exactly a fan of.

Then once ample nagging had been thrust towards my mum and she decided to get us upgraded to broadband, I began to take a bigger interest in Live. I already had Unreal Championship - which I was finding rather lacklustre at the time as I was getting bored of thrashing the bots all the time - and there were a lot of decent - if not excellent - looking Live enabled games either out the time or due for release soon. So, I thought, "what the hell!". It was cheap, I had some games I was itching to be thrashed at by cocky Americans and unintelligible Europeans, plus I loved the idea of unleashing the old Dark Mark / Albino-Man / annoying guy who keeps talking to me wit on the rest of the world. So, I bought the kit along with Midnight Club II, won Return to Castle Wolfenstein on Gameaday and set it up. And seriously, I'm really glad I did.

When you first play on Live it's kinda scary. You'll be reluctant to use the headset and people will mock your silence. But start talking to someone and you'll find it hard to drag yourself away. And once this happens, you'll feel as much at home on Live as you would when crowded around the TV with a few friends. You'll gradually start adding people to your Friends list and, like Mantis said, you'll actually feel like you're part of a community. I myself have added a fair few people to my Friends list; a few of which are Welsh like myself... and most nights we all find ourselves online at the same time (usually on Unreal Championship), so most nights we'll get together and have a laugh for a few hours. We don't care who wins or who loses, because we're having fun. We're casually chatting about stuff, cracking jokes and generally just having a really good time.

And that's the best thing about Live. Sure you may get some idiots (usually Americans... though I do have a few yanks on my list who are a real hoot to play with) who get seriously uptight and you'd punch them in the face if you could... but there's so much fun to be had on Live that you'll hardly notice. I see it as just a place where people who like games can get together, chat and generally enjoy themselves and "'ave a laff".... especially if I put on my excellent Stephen Hawkings impression using the Robot voice-mask... or my Darth Vader saying "No Luke, I AM your father!" using the Darkmaster one. And on top of that, you've got frequent content downloads for most games, lader boards and by the end of the year XSN (XBox Sports Network) will be up and running and you'll be able to organise tournaments and stuff on most Live-enabled sports games, which sounds pretty cool to me.

Get Live, you won't regret it.
Sat 02/08/03 at 23:34
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
You don't see the big fuss over online gaming? Well someday you will- it's the direction gaming is going and in a few years online play will be pretty much standard in console games, improving and evolving all the time.

Online gamaing is appealing for many reasons. Look at this site for example, most people here would say there is more to this site than just posting about games, its interacting with other like minded people, being part of a "community" etc that has some people glued to these forums like its their second home.

Online gaming is similar with lots of thinks to like-cool fun games, new people, interacting, making "friends", competitions, downloads, competitivness, rivals, clans, stratigies. Online gaming is consdered geeky, but its more social than playing buy yourself and can be just as good- better even than "all round the telly" multiplayer- depending on your tastes.

XboxLive is pushing online gaming forward with its standards, I just wish I had broadband, because I do feel I'm missing out on something which I know I would love. Weirdos you can mute, gimps you don't have to put up with and cheats can be controlled on MS's closed network. I would happly put op with these slight online drawbacks because some good online games are so much more enjoyable than single player dullness.
Thu 31/07/03 at 23:33
Regular
"accidental superher"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Indeed it is a shame. I was reading an article on Xenogosa for the PS2
> which sounded interesting. An RPG by Hideo Kojima is something worth
> looking into when it is released in September on the PS2. The only bit
> that put me off was the fact that he has used excessive amounts of cut
> scenes which he is becoming renowned for. Apparently one of the cut
> scenes lasts for 34 minutes which is going down the Metal Gear Solid 2
> route.

Xenogears is apparently a better than xenosaga. xenosaga is naturally part 1 out of 6 of the series. bizarrely xenogears is part 5. I think xenogears never got released in europe for religious reasons (and ALMOST didn't get released in US for the same reason). I've only got half way through the game but it's been friggin brilliant so far...great combat system (and heck you get to use big mechs!). Great story too...with so many interesting characters.
as for xenosaga...yeah i've heard there are LOADSA cutscenes...but i'm definately gonna get it once (or if) it comes out in UK.
Thu 31/07/03 at 23:22
Regular
"accidental superher"
gamezfreak wrote:
> beanz! Long time no see ;).

:D
yeah i don't use the forums very much anymore...maybe do about 50 posts a month? but i do pop in every so often just to see what exciting stuff people are talking about -but most of the time...not that much is happening...
Thu 31/07/03 at 19:19
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I installed Half Life. Installed Half Life patches up to latest version. Installed Counter Strike 5.1. Double click on counter strike icon on desktop. Error message about Half Life not being compatible with Windows XP and get update from Sierra. Can't find update. Try it anyway. Doesn't work. Stop caring.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try again...
Thu 31/07/03 at 18:41
Regular
You must be inexplicably dumb then.
Thu 31/07/03 at 18:25
Regular
You need the latest Half Life patch and Counter Strike 1.5! They are easy enough to find and providing you have a correct CD Key there should be no problem.
Thu 31/07/03 at 18:04
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
*Has just, for the first time, tried to play a PC game online*

*Has spent all afternoon trying to get Counter Strike to work*

*Has installed more patches and updates and registered for tons of things to get them*

*Has found nothing still works and that as far as he can get is the lobby, where the people are so 'tarded it makes Xbox Live look like it's populated by geniuses*

I take it all back, Xbox Live isn't that bad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.