GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should we close General Chat?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/04/10 at 23:18
Regular
This week from Monday 29th to Sunday 4th we had an incredible 1* new threads and that was spam that didn't get deleted. Compare this to a year or two ago when we would get at least 10 new threads every single day.

What's up with that? This is terrible Garin. Should we just close general chat and move the active threads (WLT, bargain, etc) to the games forum instead?

* - I didn't want to wait till midnight to post this, so exclude this post
Tue 06/04/10 at 14:10
"Retarded List"
Alfonse wrote:
> Steel Protagonist wrote:
> so I personally have no reason to post here.
>
> ...

What's yer problem? I don't post here I just occasionally show up to complain and reminisce about the good old days.
Tue 06/04/10 at 14:07
"Retarded List"
Machie wrote:
> Steel Protagonist wrote:
> Machie are you called Mark on PM?
>
> Yeah, the lurker. :¬)

We have quite a few lurkers. They just linger in the background, watching us.
Tue 06/04/10 at 14:05
Regular
Steel Protagonist wrote:
> so I personally have no reason to post here.

Tue 06/04/10 at 13:58
Regular
Steel Protagonist wrote:
> Machie are you called Mark on PM?

Yeah, the lurker. :¬)
Tue 06/04/10 at 13:53
"Retarded List"
Machie are you called Mark on PM?
Tue 06/04/10 at 13:49
Regular
Guys I should point out that when I made this thread I was comparing Freeola of 2010 with Freeola of 2007/2006 and not Special Reserve of 2005 when they went into liquidation.

With each year the number of GADs, users, posts and threads has gone down, not up. Although the review forum has done pretty well.

I think I will take Vee's advice and leave the forum (after 10 years and 2 days) and get a life. Oh maybe I can start a new Dr Who fan club, you interested Garin? :¬)

See you guys and good luck! <3
Tue 06/04/10 at 13:42
"Retarded List"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> And on the place never being the same, although I'm
> probably one of least eligible people to talk about this, of
> course the place will never be the same. I know very little about
> the old forums, besides that they were more active.
>
> As I see it, there are old members that still do check back, as
> you have all proved. We'd want to start getting worried once
> there aren't any people to say "These forum's nothing like
> the old ones" as it will show that the old members have
> abandoned the place. I don't see why you can't all get involved
> again, there's nothing stopping you. Yes the forums are
> different, but as far as I can see, there are still some of the
> same people.

Well one of my biggest gripes is the absolutely atrocious site design. SR was uncluttered, simple to navigate, and didn't make you want to claw your friggin eyes out. If I was a brand new user here, I'd take one look at the layout and immediately leave.

Added to this is the fact that, as previously mentioned, most of the old users are elsewhere after being driven out years ago by the incredibly ill-advised management that came into force when SR went under, so I personally have no reason to post here.
Tue 06/04/10 at 13:10
Regular
"How Ironic"
It is very difficult to find the forums from the homepage. I would've thought the best approach would've been to offer the forums first with the GAD etc, and then people will start to notice the ISP side of the website, instead of the other way around. And on the place never being the same, although I'm probably one of least eligible people to talk about this, of course the place will never be the same. I know very little about the old forums, besides that they were more active.

As I see it, there are old members that still do check back, as you have all proved. We'd want to start getting worried once there aren't any people to say "These forum's nothing like the old ones" as it will show that the old members have abandoned the place. I don't see why you can't all get involved again, there's nothing stopping you. Yes the forums are different, but as far as I can see, there are still some of the same people.
Tue 06/04/10 at 13:06
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
All it is, is that people have a life beyond the forums. All the stuff outside general chat is what most of you get together for. All the other rubbish we talk about day in day out IRL. Where as gaming and whatever else goes on is something that appeals to people more. You probably find that people online will take an interest more then those IRL. I dont think people are puzzled as to why it does not get much attention. Just daft to realise that there is more to life then general forum chit chat.

Today i dont have a life, its why im here :-)
Tue 06/04/10 at 12:57
Regular
To be honest, I only really miss the story competitions, that and the intelligent discussion threads.

The fact of the matter is, you can try and boost the post count of the forum, but with only about ten regular posters, it's fairly futile.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.