GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should we close General Chat?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/04/10 at 23:18
Regular
This week from Monday 29th to Sunday 4th we had an incredible 1* new threads and that was spam that didn't get deleted. Compare this to a year or two ago when we would get at least 10 new threads every single day.

What's up with that? This is terrible Garin. Should we just close general chat and move the active threads (WLT, bargain, etc) to the games forum instead?

* - I didn't want to wait till midnight to post this, so exclude this post
Tue 06/04/10 at 12:51
"Retarded List"
Alfonse wrote:
> You guys have PM which has most of the memorable posters from SR,
> why does it bother you?

It doesn't.

It just always amuses me when you're all puzzled about why hardly anyone posts here anymore.
Tue 06/04/10 at 12:48
Regular
You guys have PM which has most of the memorable posters from SR, why does it bother you?
Tue 06/04/10 at 12:38
"Retarded List"
As it stands, this place will never be what it once was. Instead of being a once prominent part of a dedicated gaming site, it's now a tiny section of an ISP site, and is incredibly (and needlessly) hard to find from the main page.

The fact that even the chance of free games can't keep the community going should tell you all that something is drastically wrong.
Tue 06/04/10 at 12:25
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
All seems a bit melodramatic to me. :D

I wasn't around when the forums were in the old style (although I popped on them as a customer some time back), so can't really say. But this subject does pop up every 2 months or so, which draws some members back.
Tue 06/04/10 at 09:26
Regular
Sorry guys, I just wanted to try and get people posting again. I'll shut up now.
Tue 06/04/10 at 08:54
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
HM wrote:
> but usually it used to boil down to a popularity contest.

Yeah see i agree, it was all it was.

This place would be the same again if it wasnt due to popularity. Some people just think there above the rest. When there clearly not. I bet there is alot of lurkers still. Im one of them. I read whats going on and majority of time i dont post because half the time i get the feeling im not welcome around here. Sometimes i dont even post because of certain people that lurk. I soon know they have been about when they question things that are written. (yes their probably reading now too)
Tue 06/04/10 at 08:12
"possibly impossible"
I was going to say the same, Easter holidays + weekend.

The point is, though, as I've always maintained, that this GC forum has no proper purpose or theme which makes it very hard to encourage more people to write something.

People come to forums for the themed chat and then go to a general chat area from that, not the other way around. Most forums are 'about' something and people find them because they want to chat about horses, games, cars etc then they use general chat when they've built up a rapport on the themed forum.

If we're talking about 'back in the day' then this used to be General Gaming chat and the site used to be a gaming site on the back of a company that sold games. People came to talk about games and then this led to chat naturally. The equivalent now would be to design the forums around chat about web hosting and the Freeola ISP but since you're focusing on such a small area based on one company (and I'm sure Freeola would rather keep it to their ISP/web hosting rather than chatting about other companies) you won't get as many people.

In the meantime the design of the forums means that they aren't as accessible to people who don't go looking for them and the gaming forum is also pushed out of the way somewhat.
Tue 06/04/10 at 08:00
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I once had 3 votes to be a notable once... But got beaten by a vote :(

My election campaign was brilliant though, but usually it used to boil down to a popularity contest.

It's probably been quiet recently due to Easter (people away, spending time with family or looking after the kids).
Mon 05/04/10 at 17:33
Regular
I'll tell you about the notables Chris.Although I don't know how it got started.

When this forum use to have a few hundred posters and 2000 posts every day, they decided to honour special regulars with a new status called "Notables".

Their usernames appeared in a kind of goldish colour instead of the old regular colour, which was purple.

There use to be a seperate forum where you could post and ask people to vote for you to be a notable. When election day came, people had 24 hours to post their votes. GP made a game of it by leaving his vote till the last second before midnight.

The elections happened several times a year. Some of the old notables you'll recognise are pb, Grandprix, Timmargh, Notorious Biggles and myself.
Mon 05/04/10 at 15:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
Although the majority of this thread is made up of notable members talking about how there are no notable members ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.