GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console War- Why is the PS2 still leading the field?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/01/04 at 22:20
Regular
"You have a choice"
O.K. I know the PS2 is a bit more out of date than the Nintendo and Microsoft entries, but it is still holding fast as the U.K's number one console, so I need to know why you think PS2 has stayed top for so long.
Fri 30/01/04 at 15:27
Regular
"Teal'c"
likklesprog wrote:
> PS1 was the first CD console

Since when?
Fri 30/01/04 at 15:31
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
J Nash wrote:
> likklesprog wrote:
> PS1 was the first CD console
>
> Since when?

since 1995 i think correct me if i am wrong
i mean the n64 was cartridge JESUS how the consoles where...
Fri 30/01/04 at 15:46
"I love yo... lamp."
Ahahahahaha!

The PS was first CD based console? In what parallel universe? Unless my memory has been seriously corrupted I think you will find that the 3DO was released before the PS. As well as the Sega Mega CD, Phillips CDi, Sega Saturn and possibly the Atari Jaguar CD thing. And then there was the Commodore CDTV and the CD32. And then there was the Neo Geo CD. But the first? The Neo Geo. It was around in 1990. A whole 4 years before the Playstation.

Backward compatibility... Well there was no predecessor for the Xbox. The Gamecubes predecessor, the N64, used cartridges so of course you couldn't use its games.

However, Amiga's were backward compatible. As were Spectrums in the early 80's. And the Master System and Mega Drive by means of a converter cartridge.

So the PS2 was backwards compatible. But who cares? Most people would just keep their PS. It is not that difficult.

And if you put it up vertically you sometimes get errors. Partly due to the appalling build quality.

Don't get me wrong, the PS2 had a lot of great games. But the very low ratio of great games to crap games in comparison to other systems, along with the poor hardware makes me just not like it as much as much as the PS. Killzone might make me get it set up again though.
Fri 30/01/04 at 15:48
Regular
"Notable"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Ahahahahaha!

Hehe.
Sat 31/01/04 at 11:42
Well, concerning the average consumer, it is.
Sat 31/01/04 at 13:24
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Did I mention that SOCOM is a PS2 exclusive? Sure, XBox has that
> Geoffrey and Bungle game, but it's just... not... good ol' SOCOM :)

Why would Xbox need shoddy Socom when it's got Rainbow Six 3, Unreal Tournament, Counterstrike, Soldier of Fortune 2, Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon Island Thunder, Return to castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Knight 3, Jedi Academy?

And in the future we'll have Halo 2, Unreal 2, Halflife 2, Doom 3, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty etc etc

PS2 online is mainly a joke compared to Xbox Live. What with the majority of the games stuggling to hold 8 players in a game, I think we all know where Sony can stick their network adaptor.

32 player Halo 2 online? yummy.
Sat 31/01/04 at 20:24
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Tiltawhirl wrote:

> PS2 online is mainly a joke compared to Xbox Live. What with the
> majority of the games stuggling to hold 8 players in a game, I think
> we all know where Sony can stick their network adaptor.

What are you on about? Struggling to hold 8 players in a game? Socom manages 16 just fine without any really bad lag until you get morons from Spain and the such coming on slowing everything down. It comes down to how the developer implements the online aspects of the game.
Sat 31/01/04 at 20:40
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Tiltawhirl wrote:

> Why would Xbox need shoddy Socom when it's got Rainbow Six 3, Unreal
> Tournament, Counterstrike, Soldier of Fortune 2, Ghost Recon, Ghost
> Recon Island Thunder, Return to castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Knight 3,
> Jedi Academy?

Because it needs about 70 more games that I enjoy before I'll consider buying one.
Sun 01/02/04 at 01:19
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
>
> Why would Xbox need shoddy Socom when it's got Rainbow Six 3, Unreal
> Tournament, Counterstrike, Soldier of Fortune 2, Ghost Recon, Ghost
> Recon Island Thunder, Return to castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Knight 3,
> Jedi Academy?
>
> Because it needs about 70 more games that I enjoy before I'll
> consider buying one.

and games that aren't already out on PC where they play alot better.
Sun 01/02/04 at 02:37
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I just thought of another reason why the PS2 is still top! And it's nothing to do with little blue lights!!

On SR's website, here's the number of games you can buy for less than £20

PS2 160
XBox 48
Gamecube 27

TA DAAAA!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.