GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console War- Why is the PS2 still leading the field?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/01/04 at 22:20
Regular
"You have a choice"
O.K. I know the PS2 is a bit more out of date than the Nintendo and Microsoft entries, but it is still holding fast as the U.K's number one console, so I need to know why you think PS2 has stayed top for so long.
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:46
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Did I mention that SOCOM is a PS2 exclusive? Sure, XBox has that
> Geoffrey and Bungle game, but it's just... not... good ol' SOCOM :)

We'll be getting that and Socom 2 soon :-)
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:47
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
lalakersrule wrote:
> Bloodlake is probably the only level where i leave my beloved
> claymores at home although i do have one round where i put some on
> the right side of the map on the Terrorist side so if anyone comes
> round the back hoping to free the hostages they get blown up.

You should get SOCOM 2, you can then use anti-personel mines :)
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:49
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> lalakersrule wrote:
> Bloodlake is probably the only level where i leave my beloved
> claymores at home although i do have one round where i put some on
> the right side of the map on the Terrorist side so if anyone comes
> round the back hoping to free the hostages they get blown up.
>
> You should get SOCOM 2, you can then use anti-personel mines :)

Yea i've heard of those beauties. Haven't they made it so you can blow up claymores and mines now with say a grenade or whatever?
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:51
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
lalakersrule wrote:
> Yea i've heard of those beauties. Haven't they made it so you can
> blow up claymores and mines now with say a grenade or whatever?

Claymores I'm not sure, anti-personnel mines yes, you can chuck an M67 at them or shoot them, but you've got to spot them first, they're VERY hard to see, I've stepped on my own a few times...
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:52
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Can't wait till RS3 and Socom 2 arrive over here. Got an import version of socom 2 and its class.

Expect to spend a while with that one online.
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:54
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> lalakersrule wrote:
> Yea i've heard of those beauties. Haven't they made it so you can
> blow up claymores and mines now with say a grenade or whatever?
>
> Claymores I'm not sure, anti-personnel mines yes, you can chuck an
> M67 at them or shoot them, but you've got to spot them first, they're
> VERY hard to see, I've stepped on my own a few times...

I like the idea of mines. No need to watch them, which allows you to watch your own 6 instead of having to rely on someone else to do it who stays there for about 2 seconds before running off into a hail of fire without telling you he'd disappeared
Fri 30/01/04 at 14:12
Regular
"www.sprogstudios.tk"
hello. PS2 is the best because, well, it is. there's no explanation for it. PS1 was the first CD console, and the PS2 runs PS1 disks, and nother of the other consles can use their predecesors disks.
Fri 30/01/04 at 14:16
Regular
"You have a choice"
Thank you FM and Likklesprog for something POSITIVE for a change.
Fri 30/01/04 at 14:59
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
-ps2 is backwards compatable with ps1 games
-ps2 has dvd built in and no extras needed
-ps2 has gta, gt and mgs games first
-ps2 carrys its reputation from ps1
-vertical ps2 positon makes space wize
-smaller than xbox (console and controller wize)
-traditional well known controller which is hard to beat
-broadband internet now avalible
-eyetoy now avalible
-hard drive coming very soon
-emotion engines and dolby digital features
-i-link
-the best streering wheels, light guns, stakeboards, dance mats, fighting arena, keyboards and vertical/horazontal stands

made by a well known manufacture SONY
Fri 30/01/04 at 15:06
Regular
"Moody DJ"
The PS2 clearly has a better public image outside of the hardcore gaming minions. Thanks to Sony's infinate financial and PR grunt, it stuck the PS1 out there and made it a MASSIVE name that everyone knew. Once it had its foot in the door by satisfying its existing customer base, its no surprise that when it comes to upgrade time, they all plump for a PS2. Its like the supermarkets. Tesco clearly has the market share, but is it anything really drastically better over its competitors, well no, not really. It got in there first with a decent product, and once you get a firm grip on the market share its hard to lose it. Plus, for the masses out there who don't wait with baited breath at the mention of any new piece of hardware, when they think 'Hm, I fancy getting a games console for me/sibling/daughtersonthing' ... they'll go out looking for something, think 'oh, theres a few of these things out ... dunno what to get, oh Sony are good, I'll get that'. Its like with Walkman's, you think whats a good Walkman to get? Oh a Sony, that'll be good. Whats a good TV to get, plenty of models, oh I'll get a Sony, they're always good. They've got themselves into the minds of the casual buyer as a safe bet for a purchase and make things easy for them. They don't have to research into what each machine does best, its made easy for them, they just plump for a Sony. Personally, I think all the machines are good, they've all got something worthy on them to make them shine. But thats just me.

Degenerating into ramble. Must stop now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.