GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console War- Why is the PS2 still leading the field?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/01/04 at 22:20
Regular
"You have a choice"
O.K. I know the PS2 is a bit more out of date than the Nintendo and Microsoft entries, but it is still holding fast as the U.K's number one console, so I need to know why you think PS2 has stayed top for so long.
Thu 29/01/04 at 22:20
Regular
"You have a choice"
O.K. I know the PS2 is a bit more out of date than the Nintendo and Microsoft entries, but it is still holding fast as the U.K's number one console, so I need to know why you think PS2 has stayed top for so long.
Thu 29/01/04 at 22:47
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Define 'top'.
Thu 29/01/04 at 22:51
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Oh stop it FM.

Top selling worldwide, top amount of rubbish games, top amount of over rated pap. Me go on?

:P
Thu 29/01/04 at 22:52
Regular
"You have a choice"
top= most popular, most sought after, most games available for it and largest place in the middle of almost every shop window, and keeping what I would call a "console cost"(OVER £100 plus game), when the gamecube has to sink to £70 GAME INCLUDED to boost sales.
Thu 29/01/04 at 22:55
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Lukeman wrote:
> when the gamecube has to sink to £70 GAME INCLUDED to
> boost sales.

It's the greatest injustice ever that the best games company in existence has to do this while a console that promotes games that are (with notable exceptions) 98% rubbish can sell millions.

I'm in a lame partisan mood.
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:00
Regular
"You have a choice"
I get that, but so far, when the gamecube has tried to rectify it when bringing in some of the best known titles for it, lets use final fantasy as an example, it unfortunately gets the game that few followers of the series are going to enjoy as much as the Sony titles.
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:08
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I'm bored so I make this post.

If you look at all the consoles then you will notice certain folk appreciate them all, others have a favourite but see that in a perfect world they would probably buy them all. Then we get fanboys. People who have a favourite console and take the time and effort to put the other consoles down. I'd say being a fanboy must be a medical condition, why people have to act like fools is beyond me.

The PS2 has done well, probably just because there are good games released for it, loads of people have them so you can swap games with mates. Its got online play and in most cases people enjoy playing them.

The GC didn't start too well but has began to sell well now. Because its nintendos own then it gets all the nintendo games most of which are good.

Then the XBox, claimed as being the most powerful but that dosn't matter much. Some great games, online play but at a cost.

All consoles have must have games and a lot of pants games that not many folk want to play.

But then again most people on here like games, play them regularly. Not everyone is like that. There are probably a lot of folk who just have a PS2 (or one of the others) to play a few games with mates before heading to the pub. Then others who just buy games based on the box, not on what others say about it or what magazines and websites think or show about the game.

My personal view on the PS2***
I own a PS2 and gamecube. Of the top of my head I have about 7 gamecube games, out of them I'd say 4-5 of them are games everyone should experience, the rest are alright.
With the PS2 I have about 4-5 games that everyone should experience. but a lot more that are just fun games to play mates at. Eye toy has its laughs and SOCOM online is great fun that last hours.

Would like an XBox if I could afford it but I'll settle with my PS2 and gamecube and wait until the other consoles come out. But in terms of the games I like to play then the PS2 has more of them at the moment which is why I play it more.

And thats why I think it has sold well.
Its advertised well, the eye toy increased sales and out of all the games released on it (majority of them being pants) there are games that quite a lof of people will like to play.
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:11
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Oh goody another boring console war topic, we don't have nearly enough of those *explodes due to so much sarcasm*
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:17
Regular
Lukeman wrote:
> top= most popular, most sought after, most games available for it and
> largest place in the middle of almost every shop window, and keeping
> what I would call a "console cost"(OVER £100 plus
> game), when the gamecube has to sink to £70 GAME INCLUDED to
> boost sales.

Ah, OK thanks.

Simply because, despite what anyone else will tell you, it's got more higher quality games than any of the other systems.

The argument can be proved conclusively by taking the top 100 games from each system and analysing their average ratings by the media.

E.G.
The 100th most popular game for the Gamecube is rated 75.1%
The 100th most popular game for the XBox is rated 79.5%
The 100th most popular game for the PS2 is rated 84.6%

Analyse the spread of scores in the top 100 games of each system in a multitude of ways and you always get the same results.

Bear in mind also that the killer app to beat all killer apps (appropriately enough named "Killzone") is going to shift more PS2 units this Christmas than if they gave away a naked Britney Spears with every console bundle for free, and you can see that Gamecube is near enough dead and XBox are going to wish they hadn't annoyed EA so much. (Some might argue that Halo 2 is coming out; here's some news for them: it's a sequel, you've played that kind of gameplay already).

I'm not going to speculate on the PS3/XBox2/??? scenario because, although the specifications are mostly known in the PS3's case, nobody for sure knows what the new generation of consoles will be capable of.
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:23
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> I'm not going to speculate on the PS3/XBox2/??? scenario because,
> although the specifications are mostly known in the PS3's case,
> nobody for sure knows what the new generation of consoles will be
> capable of.

But nonetheless from a strictly non-biased viewpoint the PS3 is going to kick ass.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.