GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bloody Network Adapter!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/04/04 at 13:17
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
So there i am, back from Canada and bought Socom 2 ready for some nice online action of slaughtering innocent people from Slough and other such places and i go to hook up my internet connection and set everything up. Well do you think i can bloody do it? Nope, all i get is that stupid red dot and connection cannot be established. Fair enough i'd think if i was trying to set it up using a router or something but i'm using a direct connection supposedly the simplest bloody method. Yet as you can see when i hook back up my internet cable to my modem i can get on the net fine, i just can't seem to get my PS2 online. I'm using my old cable i used to use when i got online before so i have absolutely no clue on why it isn't working anymore.

Needless to say i'm not a happy bunny at the moment
Thu 15/04/04 at 11:06
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yea got to wait for him to get back from work which is annoying. Strange though because i don't think i had to register it before, or at least don't remember registering it and it worked fine
Thu 15/04/04 at 11:05
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Flockhart wrote:

> scuse me, what ! when i asked about direct connection i was told it
> wasnt possible without going through my pc, and as my pc wasnt good
> enough i couldnt do it.

Depends on the type of modem you have as to whether the direct connection is possible.
Thu 15/04/04 at 11:05
Regular
It wont work unless you register the MAC address of the network adapter plugged directly into the cable modem.

The only other way around it is to get a router, or use internet connection sharing through your PC.

You'll just have to ask your step-dad to register it for you :D
Thu 15/04/04 at 00:33
Regular
LaLakers, if you're on Blueyonder you'll have to register the MAC address with them.

EDIT: Just realised you already know this so ignore me.
Thu 15/04/04 at 00:26
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Wed 14/04/04 at 23:57
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Didn't have to register my network adapter last time i don't think but ah well i've tried everything else got nothing to lose. Have to wait until tomorrow though seeing as my step dad is on blueyonder and it's his connection i using so i don't know the username or password to login to do the selfcare registration thing
Wed 14/04/04 at 17:37
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
We have them at my mum's and everything always goes down. BT, meanwhile, rocks :D
Wed 14/04/04 at 17:35
Regular
Not really, I have my PS2, Xbox and PC routered through a Blueyonder connection, I simply cloned my MAC address for my router to match the one of my PC, and Bob's your uncle, a working router on Blueyonder without having to ask the nice people at Blueyonder to allow me to use anything other than my PC MAC Address :D
Wed 14/04/04 at 17:30
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
Blueyonder sucks balls anyway :D
Wed 14/04/04 at 17:27
Regular
You will HATE Blueyonder for this, but, I know why it isn't working, because I am clever :D

Blueyonder will only allow registered devices connect to their network, you need to register your PS2.

By this I mean that;

(1) Your connection is working
(2) Your PS2 is working
(3) The Blueyonder network is refusing to talk to an unregistered network device (i.e. your PS2)

So, here is a little network theory.

Every Network adapter in the world has a unique MAC Address. This address is used by the network to know who it is talking to, sort of, in very simple terms.

Anyway, what this means for you, is that Blueyonder have a list of up to 5 MAC addresses which you can register with them.

When your broadband connection was set up, they automatically register the MAC address for your PC as the only registered network device you can use.

What you need to do is put in your network setup disc, and find the MAC address in the settings menu and write the damn long thing down :D

Then head over to [URL]http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=h_services_mac[/URL] and follow their instructions for registering a new MAC Address with them.

This is what you will have to do to get a PS2, an Xbox, a Router or any other networkable device onto the internet with your Blueyonder connection.

Hope that helps :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.